RX 580 problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sturmtruppen, Dec 7, 2019.

1. sturmtruppen

sturmtruppen New Member

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 8GB
    Hi,
    I just wanted to ask if anyone can help me understand why my XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS OC + video card when used to convert video files (Wondershare UniConverter Ultimate and many others I've tried ...), has both the fixed GPU Clock at 900 is the fixed Memory Clock at 1000, should they not be dynamic depending on the program requirements?
    Please, can anyone tell me how to set this video card to best suit hardware acceleration?
    Hi and thank you very much.

2. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    The encoding is mostly done on a separate part of the card. This is more complex - nowadays GPU are equipped with dedicated block to HW decode and encode videos - and general assumption is that HW encode use this dedicated block however you can imagine using GPU general computational capabilities.

GPU utilization depends on several factors. GPU usage while editing or rendering may or may not be maxed out depending on the number of GPU accelerated effects/features used and the GPU's computational capability. So, a powerful GPU like NVIDIA RTX 2080 may perform faster than NVIDIA GTX 1060 but it may show a lower usage because it is more powerful and may require lesser percentage of hardware resources to process the same information.

Keitosha likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    @Caesar that was very informational.
    Now, same applies to folding@?

Caesar likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD VCE can operate in fixed or hybrid modes depending on the configuration and feature set of the application,

VCE Full-Fixed Mode
    1. The whole video encoding process, including intra prediction, motion estimation and entropy encode is done through VCE circuit in ASIC.
    2. Full-fixed mode is accessed through OpenMAX IL API.
    3. Merits: Fast video encoding speed.
    4. Cons: For simply editing only with low compression ratio. You may get a huge-size file.
    VCE Hybrid Mode
    1. Actions like intra prediction, motion estimation, quantization and forward transform are done through 3D engine, while the final entropy encode uses VCE.
    2. Hybrid mode is accessed through AMD's Accelerated Parallel Programming SDK and OpenCL.
    3. Merits: High compression ratio and good for complicate video editing.
    4. Cons: Slow encoding speed.

5. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    I think so!:)