RX 580 - can't install AMD software

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by pogostickio, Jul 8, 2020.

1. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    Hello,

Whenever I choose to completely remove AMD drivers for an AMD RX 580 I get no video signal after the BIOS details come up after rebooting the pc. The only solution is to install over existing drivers but on Monday I made the mistake of selecting the factory reset when upgrading. When this happens I have to swap to an old AMD 5850 so I can get a video signal and troubleshoot the problem.

Once again I chose to re-install Windows 7 64 bit (and later on Windows 10) but on a fresh install the RX 580 wouldn't provide a video signal after installing Windows 7 from the CD.

I can't install the latest software and then swap to the RX 580 because the 5850 doesn't recognize the drivers as being compatible and rejects the installation. I've tried using DDU in the normal Windows mode and in Safe mode with no success.

I think the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8gb graphics card needs some lite version of driver files to be installed before it'll allow a video signal. Not even the Windows default driver works.

Just to confirm - the graphics card is not faulty. It has an 8 pin power cable connected and the BIOS details show up perfectly fine. But after that there's no video signal.

I'm using both HDMI and Displayport. The HDMI is to a Yamaha receiver purely for audio and the Displayport goes to the VGA connection on a Samsung HDTV. When issues like this arise only the HDMI connection works because luckily I have a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV as a backup video signal. It's worth mentioning the HDMI to TV goes up to 720p as a native resolution. Only the VGA connection provides 1080p so I'm trying to get back to that.

I would guess the questions is... How can I install the right drivers or necessary file(s) for a video signal before swapping the 5850 for the RX 580? I know it can be done because I've done it before. Previously I somehow managed to install the latest drivers and when I put the RX 580 back in I got a pop-up taskbar message to say new hardware has been found and was ready for use.

2. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I don't think this assumption is correct. My guess would be something to do with the connection setup you have. Are you able to simplify it and use a direct native connection to a display?

3. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    You can try to change the driver to the "standard vga-something" before removing the old drivers, it might work.

EDIT
    "Microsoft basic display adapter" is the name.

4. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    Ok, thanks. Will try that.