1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rx 460 with an older motherboard

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BadrM, Oct 18, 2018.

1. BadrM

BadrM New Member

GPU:
    Rx 460
    So I got an rx460 and through it in my older system with a Phenom II X4 965 + GA-78LMT-S2P
    but occasionally I get BSOD only while gaming
    is the rx460 drivers very new for my old motherboard?
    I updated my drivers to the latest version, should I downgrade to an older version?
    I also tested my memory with memtest all fine no problem with 8 passes and the system is pretty stable I never got BSOD except only while gaming.

the BSOD is with bug check code 0x00000109 and caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe according to bluescreenview.

any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. z8373767

z8373767 Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury Nitro 1070/600
    RX 460 fit to your mobo, but it will run on PCI-E 2.0, doesn't matter at all.
    I think it's not GPU fault.
    I found solution on polish site. Give a shot.

Remove GPU drivers from Device Manager, restart PC and do fresh install of Radeon Adrenalin. No more crashes.

User told he removed drivers with other method (mentioned CCcleaner) but this one solved his problem. (BSOD while gaming only)

3. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    You may also look into a bios update if one is available.

4. BadrM

BadrM New Member

GPU:
    Rx 460
    yeah I did that removed drivers completely using DDU then did fresh install but unfortunately same random BSOD

5. BadrM

BadrM New Member

GPU:
    Rx 460
    I do have the latest bios which is a 2013 version and no more updates from Gigabyte.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

6. GlennB

GlennB Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    You could just check the setting of your memory and if possible try to increase the voltage by 0.1 where possible. Could be that your memory gets unstable when stressed and just requires a bit more voltage.

7. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    another thing, since it seems to happen under gaming, is you PSU could be acting up. From your profile, it looks to be fine.
    How old is it?

8. BadrM

BadrM New Member

GPU:
    Rx 460
    Thanks for the reply, I did that and tested it but unfortunately still got a BSOD

9. BadrM

BadrM New Member

GPU:
    Rx 460
    I think my PSU is overkill for the components it's a Seasonic 600w ECO series, it's around 3-4 years old, could it be the problem? or it's more likely to be the old CPU+mobo.
    Just a PS. before I swap to the RX 460, I used HD 5770 and the system was stable with BSOD free while gaming.

10. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Most likely not the PSU. I was not sure how old it was.
    Another thing to look at are temps. What are the temps like on your system, especially under load like gaming.

11. BadrM

BadrM New Member

GPU:
    Rx 460
    Hello,
    These are the temps according to HWiNFO64 after half hour of gaming Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the follow up.

12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390
    How about your CPU? Do you have fluctuating voltage? Try with fixed voltage if that is the case.