1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running single channel memory instead of dual channel memory 2600X build

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by gerardfraser, Jun 23, 2018.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    EDIT:Started thread about 3 months ago, made a video Sept 2018 ,thought I would share.

Summary Chart Instead of looking at video
    [​IMG]
    Ryzen 2 Single Channel Vs Dual Channel with normal 3200Mhz timings + Best Ram Settings for my Ryzen 2 System with tight timings, in some games at 2560x1440 Ultra settings.

To see if there is a difference when gaming at ultra settings with high resolution.

Ryzen 2 CPU's in combination with X470/X450 boards should all be able to reach 3400Mhz on the memory.

I tested from 3200Mhz to 3600Mhz but anything past 3466 was about same results,so I left out above 3466Mhz.

I found the sweet spot for FPS on my Ryzen system and that was 3466Mhz with tight timings.

A couple weird results ,could be just Nvidia Shadowplay anomaly.

Sorry no testings at lower resolution or low/medium setting.
    There are plenty of others who have shared there findings with the lower settings and lower resolutions.

I have been running single channel memory on AMD build I just did and I am not convince to actually grab some more memory to run dual channel .

The reason I am not convinced is that running benchmarks and gaming I am not seeing any difference really from my systems running dual channel memory.
    Have I been tricked to buy these dual/quad memory kits at a higher price over the years.

I am not going to put a bunch of benchmarks here but what is the real benefit of dual/quad ram.Yeah I could also google that I supposed but I am lazy I guess.

Just one bench compared with guru review 2600X and lets say in cinebench R15 get around the same performance on my single channel ,compared to dual channel setup.

Guru review 1497/179
    My 2600X single channel 1501/181
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2600x_review,9.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    CInebench is pretty unaffected by memory performance. Me going from 3000MHz CL 16 to CL13 makes tiny change. Same goes for experiments with 3466MHz.
    This benchmark sees most of CPU clock, All I got from Memory tuning to max is same as ~40MHz on CPU.
    But in games... My Tests on 2400G did show up to 40% higher performance. And I am quite sure it is not just from iGPU.

So, run something what actually cycles data from ram and compare that.

And I guess, you should be giving us periodic reports on your CPU, because that voltage sparks my interest.

3. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the reply.
    Oh I just ran default in BIOS for some runs testing cinebench and some gaming to match up with some 2600X runs at 4300Mhz in reviews.I am not worried at all about what the voltage is saying.I have settled on my actual settings ,I am just making a post about something I notice which may or may not sit well with some people.Plus the AMD section is boring as hell.

EDIT:Added screen of unlocked modded BIOS for BCLK overclocking I used also for some testing

[​IMG]

I can see if you run test at lower resolutions you woulds see huge improvements.
    I should have been more clear in my wording.Resolutions such as 2560x1440 where gaming is concerned because that is where I run almost every game except shitty games that can barley run on 1080TI at 1920x1080. I am looking at you Watchdogs 2 and alike.
    Anyway I can only compare systems I have at my disposal and reviews on this forum. I am just not finding much of any difference really between the single and dual channel stuff,but if I did I would drop in another 16GB stick.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  4. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Do you even play any games? If you do, at a higher resolution, it will demand more memory bandwidth to swap assets in and out. Any games that streams assets will require it.

I play ARMA and that game is very CPU IPC, Speed and memory bandwidth timing sensitive.

So it really depends on the games you are playing.

5. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Why yes,yes I do play games and it is more than one game.
    Well not going to argue with you but did a quick search on ARMA and memory bandwidth has a nice improvement but single channel vs dual channel not so much.
    Screen taken from this video and it is even only 1080p.

[​IMG]

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    You need to try out Fallout 4 to see what differences memory speed/timings/SC vs DC can really make. I have never seen a game more affected by RAM in my 20+ years of gaming. My guess is because the engine is so old, face-lifted and tuned for the current gen consoles.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the reply,I will try out Fallout 4 on a intel system I have here and test single channel vs dual channel ram with different video cards and high resolution and ultra settings.
    For my computer needs gaming and some video encoding,single channel vs dual channel ram is not even a discussion.
    There is no real noticeable difference between them and from now on I will always buy the cheapest version between single channel vs dual channel ram on the ram speed I wish to buy.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Single channel to dual channel changes one thing, bandwidth.
    It doubles.

9. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL you are correct it does double.

10. warlord

warlord Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X MSI(Gaming)
    In games like dota 2 which is highly cpu dependent you have half fps with SC vs DC ram. All games affected by bandwidth will perform trash fully with single channel.

Dragam1337 likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Witcher 3 is actually even more affected by ram, than fallout 4 :)

https://imgur.com/a/ivovA

12. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the replies but I do not agree with you guys/gals are saying about the single channel vs dual channel in gaming on Ryzen1/ 2 systems is just not correct if you play games at today's normal resolutions using fast ram with gaming details to high/ultra there is no real difference in FPS in single channel and dual channel ram.

EG:Above post shows games on intel system with different ram speeds 1333/2133 and 720p not even anything to do with single channel vs dual lol.
    The Witcher 3 high settings in video posted in post #5,there is no difference
    [​IMG]

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Are you sure dual channel is active?

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    There are two things to it.
    1st is: Moving from i5-2500K to Ryzen 2700X did not improve fps in Witcher 3 for me much (5% max), but it did remove any kind of loading micro freezes. (Therefore one can't exactly sat that average fps changes much, just game experience.)
    2nd: Witcher 3 does not have benchmark, therefore people benchmarking it pick some route and follow it as closely as possible. Usually slow walk to do it ac accurately as possible. That puts very little stress on memory, SSD as turning around requires much more caching. (So, again human benchmark will not show much of an difference.)

Then there are benchmarks like 3DMark, they are not exactly good at revealing system memory bandwidth requirements. That's because their entire data set for benchmarking fits easily to VRAM, and they do their data set loading before actual benchmark w/o even reporting loading time.

15. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Member Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    i think people confuse flat out all the useless marketing scams for ddr dual channel giving double performance it not providing vs itself ddr but vs sdr. ddr4 is 2014 tech ddr is y2k tech rekt plebs. how ever dual/quad channel offers an independent access to each bank by w/e cpu to improve efficiency and remove any bottleneck. so your increase bandwith but it not necessarily increase in speed they way they market it so you need program that is multi threading memory with large multiple data sets also it still 3200mhz or half that because dram maker are marketing scam. i think it is mostly suffers performance gains like multi cpus. while the architecture is there in concept most software doesn't take advantage of it as well as it could your also artifically debuffs from cpu manufactuare as well as the motherboard manufacture.

but overall as a gamer min fps are most important and id take any gain even if your just squeeze extra 3-10fps to maintain 60fps on min. also intel have had much better memeory controller for so many revisions then amd but ryzen has gotten them a lot closers basically i thhink you would see even a few more fps with intel system with their higher end chipsets between single duel quad. you also wanna multitask as well as play game that is online with large data sets you would see difference in min fps and dips stuttering. and all this is assuming all this tech is 100% bug free hueueh well all know all tech is cheap china repo that goes EOL with no driver support after 1 year and retailers will stock it for 5+yrs.

so @ opt
    DDR4-3200, PC4-25600 400 MHz 1600 MHz 3.2 GT/s 25.6 GB/s

that 3200 rating is just a spoof like ebay fake gfx cards really it is still a 1600 stick

basically you would need multi core cpu with program that has a data set that exceeds 3.2gt/s to start seeing benefit of single vs duel channel and the memory controller & cpu would need to know how to handle that data more parallel. because the ram stick didnt really change lmao try single channel at 2133 vs duel channel with 3200 multi tasking. or try using less ram like 4gb stick will fill up faster then 16gb. but the speed of ddr4 is supersedings the need for the duel channel bandwidth in your workload it makes a huge difference with apu for sure. now we have standard multicore yet they can only mostly access y2k 2 modual at time which now we see more quad appearing in consumer market. good next 32 high performance core cpu 512gb ram terabytes nvme raids. consumer standard.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018

16. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the replies.
    So I am good with single channel DDR4 and was when I bought the single stick for single channel gaming and everyday computer usage.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    nvm, seems to be a lost cause.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    To both of you, i have 2 words : gpu bottleneck.

Lower resolution to 720p, and you will see ram affecting performance in witcher 3 a whole lot.

19. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    So are you suggesting I should run dual channel ram because you think it is better in gaming and everyday computer usage
    or because it doubles bandwidth or should I go with a system with quad channel ram and it will be even better.

Sorry my GTX 1080ti cards do not run 720p and never will and I do not even know 1 person in real life that runs anything at that resolution.So basically do not care about 720p not now or ever.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Lol, are you mentally challenged or something? If you want to determine wether or not ram makes a difference, you have to ensure that you are not gpu bottlenecked... cause obviously ram won't make a difference to performance, if the gpu is the limiting factor...