1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running and Marathons etc

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Li4m79, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    OK, as a new years resolution i decided I was gonna start running, and today, my trackies and running shoes arrived, and tonight i set out on my first of many daily runs...

I'm pretty unfit, but i'm not overweight, 5ft 11" and about 12 stone.

I have no running experience, but am aiming to enter some marathons from around June onwards!!

Any runners here? Any tips, diets etc???

I'm just starting off with some casual runs to get limbered up and a feel for it before I start properly....

I'm running with a good friend of mine, and he seems pretty clued up, but was looking for other advice any peeps may have...

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its all about building up,dont push yourself to far as you will do damage to yourself,increase your distance slowly per week if thats what you aim to do,you can also do some cycling to take the strain off the knees if your thinking of running alot,although with cycling you have to go alot further for the same benefit,they both compliment each other.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    well, i salute you in your initiative !
    i really wish you good luck .
    if i may, i will share my part.
    i started with a small distance,and even in my first 500 m i felt like dying.
    i am soo embarassed,i used to run 5-6 km without breaking a sweat.
    i have to crawl my way back to my former shape.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    Running shoes are overrated. You should have got some combat boots. :)

Aku Laitinen did run Stockholm marathon with HAIX Airpower P3 in under 5h. No visible damage cause by those. Story in Finnish here.

And something more related to this topic:

Hydration (very small amount salt to water is better than only water), dont give up and good luck :)

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I agree about shoes. I've done more PT in boots, and barefoot than I have in any kind of shoe.
    What I learned about running, I learned from Karate; proper breathing is the difference. You'll be inclined to huff and puff. Force yourself to regulate that. Say four strides per inhale, four strides per exhale.It will feel all wrong at first, then it will become second nature. Also, remember deep, not shallow breaths. As a smoker people were amazed at my endurance. This was my secret.

6. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm not gonna lie to you: if you're in bad shape, it's going to feel like murder initially. The key is to have a set schedule so that you get into the habit of jogging regularly; routine is the most important thing in this sport, for sure. Try to jog 3 days a week, but not on consecutive days.

Also, focus on gradually increasing distance, not speed; speed will come on its own. Of course, initially, you should just focus on getting yourself out the door, nevermind what kind of distances you jog and how fast you do it. Again, getting into the habit is #1.

Also, it's good that you bought running shoes. They save your feet in the long run, and having money tied up in the hobby is an effective way of increasing your psychological resolve to keep at it even when you feel like you'd rather throw yourself off a bridge than go for that damn jog.

Good luck!

7. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Cheers Guys :)

This is my thoughts too.....lol

Ok, so i went for just a couple of miles tonight, nothing heavy, jogged one of them, walked/jogged the rest.. Last time I ran would have been about 15+years ago, so even this small stretch i was feeling the burn, but after i got back home, i felt fine, no aches no pains, so i think i just need to ease in to iron out the kinks and dust the cob webs away.....

I'll get there though, thanks again for the support peeps, wish i'd maybe given this a shot in my younger days..lol...(i was 33 last Friday)

8. Ish

Ish Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    I run with my dog who is only 5 months old (helps allot being pushed by a mut)

I also have an App called Runkeeper, which provides graphs, GPS, Distance and elevation change.

Like everyone said, first try and go for distance and speed will gradually come.

Give your body good food and days off to rest and repair itself.

Good Luck

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I started out just speed walking a year or 2 ago. I never dreamed of doing distance running. To my surprise I've built up to about 4-5 miles a day so all I can say is just do it. You'll get there, just don't kill it.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i got a treadmill at home, i use it 7 days a week, generally i hate sport but i love walking and especially running, i can do up to 12km on the treadmill.

diets wise i recommend light stuff before running, my favorite is bread & salmon (salmon is my favorite food anyway) and more importantly avoid sugars, a good drink would be a lemonade or natural orange juice, when you're done running make sure you drink a lot of water, you might feel hungry, that's the critical part, do not eat a hearty meal! eat smaller meals with at least an hour in between.

so instead of 3 full meals, eat 6 smaller ones. ;)

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I run during Spring to Fall 8-16km a day winter running aint good for your lungs so beware....I lose interest on treadmills and gyms I do it all outside.... also dont over run I did it I lost 10 extra pounds but it was muscle loss...

12. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    If it's your first time running for a while don't start off too strenuous. Start light and short, and make it your target to (initially) increase the length and / or speed you run each session. A marathon isn't a very useful distance to run for the average human and most people will only build up to that level of endurance for short periods of time. Unless you want actually want to run marathons for the sake to the accomplishment (which you might do) a more healthy distance (if health is the reason you're runnign which it might not be) imo would be 10K or a half marathon. It's only my opinion though, marathon running takes a heavy toll on your body.

My best tip would be that more time on the track (or pavement or whatever lol) will make you better. It's an obvious thing to say, but people get too caught up in breathing techniques and special training drills (intervals etc...). These have their place for experts but for any casual runner the best way to get better is to run more, and try and enjoy it.

13. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Cheers.... Entering Marathons for the accomplishment mainly mate, i'm pretty unfit, but aside from that i'm pretty healthy, never been one to exercise at all, so i'm embracing all this as a personal challenge....

even at school (Many moons ago) i was ****e at distance running, great at sprints though, so i'm just gonna try and build it all up step by step.... I've set my personal goal of getting at least a few of miles/5k without stopping by the end of the month. Then from february, i'll up my training and get a more prominent routine

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Ok, first off, running shoes are what you want to use. I have been back into running for about 4 years and know what I am saying. (Or at least I do now after finally listening to my friends advice.) (Also, you will want to go for the long haul.) To give you an example:

1 Mile: 5:14
    5K : 18:00
    8K : 29:53
    10K : 38:49
    15K : 58:32
    10 Mile: 1:03:09
    1/2 Marathon: 1:23:21
    Marathon: 3:48:47 (Absolutely the most painful thing I ever did past 18 miles.)

I strongly recommend not shooting for the Marathon distance until next year at the earliest. I would just build up to a 5K for your first race and go from there. By the way, those times I have have been after 3 years of consistent running. (Except for the 3 months were I pulled my hamstring on a training run.)

I am glad you are getting into running, it is a lot of fun. Once you get totally hooked, you will wonder how you ever got by without it. :) Also, it is great to know that you have a running partner, that does help as well.

The rule about increasing you mileage is no more than 10 % per week. Once you do get up to 20 miles or more a week, I recommend putting some speed work in but not before that.

If you do not mind me asking, what shoes did you get? I use Nike Lunar fly 2 for training outside and Brooks T7 for track, speedwork and racing. I do have good running form so I do not know if they would work for you but just letting you know. (Have fun.) Oh, and I am 45 so you are never the wrong age to start.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    the shoes I got just now are Addidas Kanadia TR 4's.

[​IMG]

where I live a lot of runs i''l be doing are through woods and dirt tracks, so i thought for entry level these would be ok to start me off. And i will say they are the comfiest things to have ever graced my feet!!!...lol

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i wear x2 pairs of socks when i start up again. seems to help against blisters.

i'd invest in a gps runner watch. make sure you always do more distance or a faster speed.

good music is a help as well.

p.s if you do a scottish marathon let me know maybe i'll come up with a guru t-shirt and we can raise some money for charity...

stretching early on and keeping warm in cold is also important. just got a nasty cold as did a run over the weekend and it blew out a few cobwebs but made me feel like wank.

p.p.s shin splints n back ache are the worse for me.

17. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Yeaa, more runners:)

My advice is just to keep at it. Simples. Like others have said already it's going to be tough initially. Allot of people fail early on because they feel they're simply not cut out for running. Stitches/cramp/breathing, just generally feeling s***. It'll pass, and you'll start craving your daily jog/run. Look into Fell running too, the nature of it keeps my mind off how knackered i am for a while longer:grin:

On a side note (i know it's too early for yourself), but don't get to concerned with fancy kit and expensive gadgets. They don't make you a better runner, running makes you a better runner.

Next you can hit up a bit of triathlon action m8 :thumbup:

18. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Pretty sure the first few people who posted are (or were) military, and I have to agree with them all. I'm not a huge runner these days, although on my airborne course I never ran so much in my bloody life. Breathing is absolutely key. Don't push yourself, start out slow. I used to help train my friends in the summer and I'd have them do a short distance to find out where they are at, then do that same distance and each time increase speed. After about a week (3-4 times) we'd increase the distance and then increase speed. Repeat. Also I would avoid the treadmill like the plague. The only machines (in my opinion) that you should use for cardio are the stairmaster, elliptical, or bike. And with all those you need to push it for them to work. I ran 16km on a tredmill and all I got was knee problems and a waste of time, haha.

DO NOT MAKE AN EXCUSE TO MISS A DAY. Once you do, it's hard to get back into it. Listen to some death metal or whatever gets you pumped up but motivate yourself to do it.

19. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Death Metal...... no thank you...lol..... Nice bit Drum & Bass gets me pumped!!

Thanks adain for all the pointers guys, really appreciated..

@Mitzi.... if i'm Marathon ready by the summer, will definitely give you a shout, cheers bud!!

20. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Excellent choice. That is my preferred music as well. I keep forgetting there are people that actually know what that is. Where I live barely anyone knows and they always ask stupid questions, haha.

I find on those days where I feel like I don't want to do it, getting started is the most difficult. Once I start it all falls into place and I run like the wind! Assuming of course that the wind has legs and can run. :nerd: