Running a 10980XE at 100c 24/7

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by IceVip, Jun 16, 2020.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    100c constantly? do you live at the equator with no air conditioning? I have ocd issue when my 6700k runs at 65c under full load, it it ran 100c I would have heart attack

Your cooling solution on wrong or is not capable to doing the cpu proper

80c is to high for stock for any chip underload less said cooling solution question able

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    If you knew anything about this chip then you would know that reaching 100c is a breeze,
    even if ambient is 0c and you're freezing to death. Just overclock it higher than 4.8 and you're there with a 360mm rad.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    100c constant for any chip is slow death like has been mentioned by others in the thread whether people want to accept that or not

4. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    Not sure if you're tryina say I'm not willing to accept it but if you are then i should let you know that i do. No need to act weird.

AsiJu likes this.

5. hdtvnut

hdtvnut New Member

GPU:
    2080ti Srix
    If you want Intel's own findings about overclock vs longevity, I suggest reading www.tomshardware.com/features/inside-intels-secret-overclocking-lab page 7.

BH is getting in some tray 10980xe's, a few at a time. They have no warranty and, although you can buy a protection plan on Intel's website, it is a waste of money 'cuz only applies to boxed chips.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Try to set VCCIN to 1.75v-1.85v to make the cpu a bit colder. I can run my delidded 7980xe @ 4700mhz @ 1.76v VCCIN

My memorylatency is ~50ns on Apex x299 MB. 4000c17 memory tweaked. The key to very good performance overall on this x299 plattform is fast tweaked memory.

CB 20 7980xe 4700 mem 4000 c17.PNG

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wasnt specially directed at you which why i didnt bother to quote, i saying in general 100c is to hot for any cpu to be running constantly and bad for it life if person accept it and is fine with it or not. no person should think 100c is normal or good for the cpu with proper cooling that cpu would not be those temps as hilbert review shows, beside you changed your cooling and now much better temps yes?

100c is just bad for the life of a cpu. and if some cpu is running such temps they need better cooling. I have issue with my cpu going past 70c 65c my limit, last time I had cpu going past 70c which was my duo core I think? just going past well past 70c tiggered the mb to shut down the system to protect it that was one and only time I tried to use intel HSF. which sure was fine still but even that wasnt going past 80c, but soon as i got better cooling it never went past 65c

If i had 100c on one my cpu my OCD would be give me heart attack till i got better cooling.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  8. Oh aside
    Intel's Tjmax for the 10980XE is 86C. 100C at long term use will perm damage the physical unit. [​IMG]

9. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    I was planning to buy the patriot 4x8 at 4400CL19 and try to run them at 4000CL17(its not on the QVL list, but eh.. w/e i guess), but the performance right now is so good that I've lost the
    threshold for good performance once i jumped to x299. Everything seems good..

Wouldn't your OCD be happy that the number is even? Thought OCD is symmetry.

10. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    It's still alive? wow just wow

I can imagine those tiny transistors starting to degrade screaming for mercy

poor thing

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Why not force it run at slower speed ?

Set the power management to have Maximum processor state at 50% (or experiment with various values) and that will cut down on the clock.

Or just underclock/undervolt it in BIOS directly until you're comfortable with the temperature for loading all cores 100%.
    Yes it will be slightly slower, but not that much tbh.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    psst... that's what I do for whorishly low TDP. Don't Ask, Don't Tell
    AB comes with a power slider too. psst...

And stop calling it BUM CHIP. You bums would kill for 18 cores, 4.5GHz, 79 Celsius chip :D

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @IceVip

OCD for me is basically if i clean part of something I need to clean it all, if some is break I need to fix, if something goes wrong with PC I need to fiqure it out if something is where it dont belong I need to put where it does. etc etc all along those lines. but yes i also like even number that general dont trigger my OCD so that is win for thing that dont trigger my OCD.

now add in the fact I now have panic attack and anxiety last few years anything involves Tech and I can't fiqure out what is wrong or how to fix the OCD just make thing worse. I dont recommend OCD for anyone it get worse older you get. 5 years ago I didnt have to much problem with deal with tech, but now i want nothing to do with it when thing go wrong with it

14. I don't condone killing for Intel products. They aren't worth it. Now, AMD on the other hand... :rolleyes:

15. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    I tried to kill my delidded 7980xe in 3 years. It ain't dead yet :D

16. Yeah - let me borrow it for a day or two :mad::D:D

17. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050
    Well that's a bummer. When i was little i thought i had OCD because i tried to fix stuff and align stuff but then i got bored and lazy. Guess one overcame the other or i never had the other in the first place. Hope it starts slowing down with the years to come!

I'm pretty happy with where I am right now. It's doing around 77 to 81c at 4.5ghz which is plenty for now. I'm not sure people wanting this processor would run it at stock. There's a 3950x for that job.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Imo around 80 C at 100 % load is pretty respectable. Full load especially if AVX is used is always a different beast to high / moderate load.

19. Freeman

Freeman Member

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020