[RUMOUR] Nintendo Overclock the WiiU's CPU & GPU in new firmware update...

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by CPC_RedDawn, May 10, 2013.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I read this...

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/10/wii-u-latest-system-update-has-increased-cpu-gpu-speed-rumour/

I couldn't help but laugh a little... Seriously? This is just a crazy increase in speed if its true. And if it is true, that thing is going to get hot VERY fast indeed. With adequate cooling, I don't think it will be able to cool this... I know the TDP on these chips are already really low due to them needing to comply with certain regulations and the fact that its a console the size of a matchbox (not quite but you get what I mean lol).

Thats a 2GHz increase on the CPU and a 250MHz increase on the GPU!

Unless they originally designed the WiiU to be clocked at these speeds and released it early due to people wanting something new from Nintendo, but they had problems with it at these speeds. And maybe now they have tweaked it to achieve these speeds. Or as someone else suggested, people were originally taking the original clock speeds from the WiiU when it was in emulation mode for Wii games which would mean it might have been clocked slower.

I honestly think this is just B$ but what do you guys think..?

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I could see Nintendo making more of the RAM available for games, but this? I think it's just BS

3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    If both were capable of these speeds all along, I don't see why they wouldn't have come out at launch with these clocks.

It's also an insane amount of speed added which tells me it's complete BS.

If it's not, and this is true, there's going to be a new problem for Wii U - overheating.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Increasing clocks have happened before though. The PSP got its clock speed increased by 100 mhz, the motivation at the time was that it reduced the battery life too much. But as the Wii U is a home console, that's not a problem for Nintendo.

But yeah, these gains are way too big, and there's of course the question why Nintendo had so low clocks first of all. The multiplats could have run alot better with these speeds, possibly even beating out the 360 versions

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm sure this isn't true but if it is, I wonder if it has something to do with EA and DICE's comment about the Frostbite engine not working well on the Wii U.

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I think this is a case for MythBusters. As far as I'm concern I'll call this case busted, this is the bigest BS I've heard in past year or so...

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah, no.

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    This would have had to have been planned from the start, as in during the development process. I find it incredibly unlikely however.

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Hmmm, i am taking this with a pich of salt, unless Ninty developed the cooling system and heatsink in the wii-u to deal with these supposed new speeds i am highly skeptical its true.

Nintendo employee" The wii-u is simply not selling, shall we impliment a price cut"

Ninty" NO!!!.....activate protocal Wii-u self destruct, if they wont buy it then nobody will have it......Maha.......mahahhaha.....mahahhahahahahahahhha!

10. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Someone from Nintendo probably forgot to mention that 3.0.0 firmware update is just for North Pole and South Pole explorers and just for outside use only, for regular home user you must play the games inside the fridge, only that way Wii U can be propperly cooled. On the other side because of extreme cold (and OC'ed CPU/GPU) while gaming battery will hold no more than 15 minutes...

11. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Writing savegame and shutting down, please do not remove game disk until 10 minutes after shutdown

12. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    game disk? Wii U has games?!

13. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Backward compatibility lol.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    They did something along this line with the 3ds, but that was just freeing up.a core, this sounds.completely unrealistic

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I call BS that huge oc to being doing

16. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Hard to believe.. But what a concept if true. Release a system that is mediocre in nature so all others later just laugh it off, then when all are out pull out the big guns. Its a great concept and would be pretty cool if bait and switch.

Unfortunately I don't think Nintendo would be able to pull it off..But MS, or Sony... absolutely.

17. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
  18. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    WiiU LN2 Edition

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hmm the only console that I have seen OCed by 3rd party modding would be the Genesis going from 7.66mhz to 10mhz and with that mod was controlled by a switch. I don't see Nintendo risking their hardware with huge overclock like that. To me with improper cooling could lead to problems that the xbox360 had with the red ring of death.

20. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Uh, no. You cause MAJOR problems in regards to minimum firmware versions going forward. Nevermind you can not gurantee every single CPU will OC correctly; major potential liabilities here.