Rumour indicates that NVIDIA might be BIOS locking the memory bus forcing 12GB to 10 GB on RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Quite frankly I'm over all these rumors. Cards can't come soon enough, so we can put all this to bed.

Embra and PrMinisterGR like this.
  2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    But what about the intrigue, drama and distraction!

Next thing you gonna tell me Earth is not flat or something? :D

HandR and PrMinisterGR like this.
  3. You study under Qui-Gon too? Sweet... :cool: I believe it's actually "There's always a bigger fish"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020
  4. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Bloody oath its flat, otherwise I'd fall off.

sverek likes this.

5. Flat as your mum... "ynark ynark ynark"

:D:eek:

Maddness likes this.
  6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    RX 480s did this, being SW locked to 4GB at least on certain variations of the card, which in some cases actually allowed you to flash them to unlock to 8GB.

And similar, just not quite the same, the RX 5600XT had its memory speed limited and later increased through bios changes to react to the market situation.

7. OnlyME2

OnlyME2 New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Well if it offered a real good price-to-performance ratio in the 'out of the box' default 10Gb configuration,
    Then folks might consider taking the chance that it gets unlocked in the future.

Personally I cannot see anyone wanting to buy a software limited piece of hardware UNLESS there was a compelling reason to do so.

Also it's not really a good PR move to limit your own hardware just because your not sure if you will need to go that far. it's a bit of a bum move.

8. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Why people are disappointed with this limitation?

Hardware gets limited all the time to save production cost. CPUs get disabled cores, GPUs get disabled shader units all the time, so it matches the model performance and price.
    Intel, AMD or Novidia mass produce chips and bin them accordingly to match their model performance, nobody got money and time to produce each model separately.

And Novidia can't just give you fully unlocked GPU, that supposed to be higher tier.
    Consumers get what is written in specs. That how market works.

Issue will happen if what written in specs doesn't match actual product performance. That's where lawsuit happens.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Man, there were never any contacts, you realize this? If you put his ramblings in text, most of us here would sound like we know "more".

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Amd is the one who always allowed tickering with bios updating/unlocking vram/shaders with nvidia? No. If you think they will let you get something for free you are fool. Its a company that decides the pricing on the stage. It will be another round of hyping their overpriced cards so throw away your 2080 super and get ready.

11. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I doubt they'd lock GBs of memory in the bios.

Releasing a driver that makes the cards 15% faster is possible though, if they hold back the performance in drivers. They'll announce it as an amazing driver update with new features.

12. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    those little kids school tactics are becoming annoying, understandable but annoying for the customers, annoyed customers leave the market
    that said if I buy one it'll be asap, Ti make no sense to buy late
    as shown with the latest gen and many other high end products like 77" oled TV, prices never really go down they keep their price until there's not stock available, sometimes if the product was really good the price even goes up as availability declines
    as a consumer everyday that goes by it becomes a worse value to buy a Ti so either you buy quickly or you don't

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    The headline starts with "Rumour".

I'm not a fan of the crap NVidia has pulled but theres no point stirring up crap like this, it lends credence to the idiots that start these rumours just for page hits.
    Fair enough its posted here as something to ponder over, but the number of people treating this as fact is silly.

Maddness and alanm like this.
  14. Tuukka

Tuukka Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 OC 2 GB
    It is NOT gonna happen, if there is software locked memory + bandwidth It would be opened the next day

15. but fans just want to have fun... "they wanna they wanna..." you'll notice there's a common theme in this thread in my posts of how I seem to be having a hard time taking this article & thread serious. Surprise!

EDIT: Admittedly I bet Hilbert enjoys these stories from the social experiment perspective. Can't say I don't. (that's a double negative, in this case, it means I do, so I enjoy it in this case. Just felt I should explain that as I've read many an article that no offense @Hilbert Hagedoorn hasn't been proofread at all. I like your work a ton. Just please engage a staffer to proofread the grammar and such. Sometimes I'm worried what I write will get mistaken or misunderstood by you frankly (no offense).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Never seen or heard of an RX480 with 8GB installed on the PCB being locked to 4GB.

Final memory clocks are set by the AIB manufacturer. There's nothing wrong with limiting memory clocks in firmware. It's actually standard practice. AMD, NVidia, G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Patriot, GeIL, Kingston, PNY, etc all do it. Even Intel does it... Look at DDR4-3200... SPD info usually specifies 1200mhz or 1333mhz (DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666) yet XMP profiles specify 1600mhz. In a lot of cases, those modules can run up to or beyond 1800mhz (DDR4-3600+). Memory clock speeds are manipulated to meet performance targets. Manufacturers aren't being dishonest or operating in a fraudulent manor by doing this. Installing 12GB of ram on a PCB and then disabling 2GB of it, on the other hand, would be a completely different matter if it were to happen because the specs would in fact be fraudulent, as would the fact that a consumer paid for 2GB of memory that they can't utilize. (It would actually be a repeat of the GTX970 fiasco)

17. devastator

devastator Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070
    i think 350w gpus is to high
    With great power comes great electricity bill lol jokeing apart i like them at around 170w

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont buy it, why bother to install the ram if you gona go and reduce the ram via bios, it make no sense from manfactor stand point

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yes ridiculous. The cards would be far more marketable if kept at 12gb than limit them to 10gb while costing the same to produce. Nvidia could also justify the price of the cards better.