Rumour indicates that NVIDIA might be BIOS locking the memory bus forcing 12GB to 10 GB on RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    The 12GB, artificially locked, would be only the first batch of them. If there's no need (AMD can't compete), the manufacturing would switch to genuine 10GB, limited bus models, which would be cheaper to make (and obviously can't be unlocked). However, if AMD can compete, Nvidia will need to swallow its tears, unlock the early cards, and have future production be 12GB straight out of the factory. So, Nvidia would only be using a plot like this for the chance it might be able to save money in the future.

The future GPU chips would have "extra" memory controllers disabled, so OEMs couldn't make their own fancy versions. Before that, I guess Nvidia would just forbid it. It's not like the custom card manufacturers could go against Nvidia's rules if they want to receive the GPUs.

2. devastator

devastator Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070
    not sure anyone done this yet but 21x256= 5376 cool though

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep. Plus you want to make sure you dont get anything like space invaders or something that missed QC in initial batches.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Wait, people take this guy seriously?

Cards shipped with the extra VRAM but software "locked" instead? Reviewers can't count the amount of RAM chips on a card? What about the optics of something like that.

People comparing that to AMD upgrading the 5600XT, as if an extra 64bit of bus and two extra physical chips are the same as overclocking?

5. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    And as I have said before on the Guru3D forums, this sums up Nvidia's attitude. I questioned this, why don't the cards have logical memory paths? 6GB, 8GB 12GB? Sounds very mean of Nvidia to do this. I like their cards just don't like the way they treat their customers/end users. I hope AMD'd Navi cards crush them the same way Ryzen has crushed Intel's CPU market.

6. Yall remember unlocking Fermi cards through BIOSes?

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    This is rumor from one of the most "out of my ass" channels in Youtube.
    You all 'member doing the same with the Radeon 9500Pro? They all do that, but having the actual memory chips on board is too much.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    For me it seems artificial segmentation like Intel likes to do with his CPUs. Instead of producing two different cards to hit two different market points they build just one and downgrade it through software making production simpler and maybe cheaper. Of course then someone is going to discover how to unlock the extra RAM...

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I was following him for his leaks from supposed contacts in the industry, but seems he has gone overboard with silly speculation and opinions.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Sounds like a bunch of horseshit. The bad pr that would follow would so not be worth it. Especially with the 970 debacle still being fresh in people's minds.
    I'm sure this something they wish they could get away with, but they can't be that stupid.

HandR likes this.

11. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    I'm 100% convinced that we will need at least 12gb of vRAM for this new generation, I have an RTX 2080 with 8gb and I had to lower the textures on CoD Warzone because it was eating 8192mb and stuttering like crazy, normal textures are like 7gb and stutter is gone so.... Imagine when the new consoles releases.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    What about the rumors with Big Navi having upto 16GB.

An extra 2 GB over 1000/2000 series is weak. Maybe there's a normal version 3080 with 10GB and a super one with 12gb.

12GB makes more sense especially when it's faster Vram than on the 2080s.

Btw that's the second bad rumor to hit the 3000 series or 3080 at least.

First rumor is that it uses up to 320W and now this with a measely 2GB extra over last gen.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Its a right crock of ****, this wont be happening.

The 1080ti has placements for 12GB of ram but one memory module is not fitted, it is left empty.
    While the 3080 might well be 10GB with a reduced memory bus, the memory will not be fitted.
    They wont waste memory ICs in such a stupid way.
    Making people think they have a brand new gimped product wouldnt go well, NVidia arent that stupid.

14. :( agreed

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    What attitude? You speak as if NVidia are doing this, how do you know?
    I hope your other posts arent this bad.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Why have you made a fake post from someone without quotes?
    Nobody posted what you are replying to.

Also nobody using the dark theme can read it.
    Ironicly 'weak' response lol.

17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    AMD has done exactly this before on one of their cards. So the "holy AMD" card really doesn't fly.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    NVidia is not going to do something like this. There is a lot of risk involved.

I bet the lawyers in the crowd are already drooling reading this rumor.... Probably already started prepping court filings just in case it turns out to be true....lol

Every company, in every industry, does dirty crap when they think it will give them an advantage....

Exactly which card did AMD do this on? I've never heard of AMD implementing a bios lock to disable memory modules/channels.

19. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2060 KO
    Whos buying these stupid things anyway?Im betting thier $1500 and up.I didnt spend that on my whole new system.In 20 years I have never needed anything bigger than a 60 series card to play any game or do anything else.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Do not forget, there is always a better idiot around the corner.