1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Rumour] Geforce GTX 480 barely faster than Radeon 5870

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by davido6, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Perhaps I was a bit too base in my comments. Perhaps I wasn't clear, or perhaps it simply needs to be reiterated. Nvidia cannot keep building gigantic, physically gigantic that is, chips. Yields will always go into the toilet with them making them an unsustainable investment. Anand did a wonderful article on this shortly after the HD4000s came out and did a comparison between the approaches Nvidia and ATI, and in turn AMD, took towards graphics development. This is the lesson that Nvidia is learning hard this round. It's not just going to 40nm that has shot them in the feet, it's doing so while building the most massive piece of silicon ever engineered for graphics processing. Wafers aren't getting larger, and as such, when die sizes increase but wafer sizes do not it takes fewer and fewer failures to lower yields dramatically. That's what I've been saying and why I feel it may very well be the most powerful chips ever made, but I'm questioning the costs involved. It's a massive investment on Nvidia's part for this architecture and it is only getting more expensive every day they don't deliver product to the market. In the end though, it's not the highend market that makes either company money. It's the mainstream market.

2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    View attachment 3233

Faster than HD5970 in tesselation.....Hmmm don't think so.Wait for some Real world games to see the performance between the 2 cards.

Hopefully tomorrow we will have some benchmarks from games.

3. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    i hate charlie demjini boy .. not have respect for him to even learn his name.

4. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    But for a healthy profit you need to sell more professional graphics card. For nVidia those (quadro, Tesla) made 25% of the sales and 75% of the profits iirc. And guess what nVidia is doing with Fermi? Blahblah GPGPU this, blahblah Fortran that, let us make a quote for a supercomputer for you...not a single word on gaming performance until roughly a month ago.

5. zoramaso

zoramaso Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770
    maybe is a 5% of difference but the GTX480 have physx and 3d vision surround and thats a lot better and realistic.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Bear in mind that Ati will add 3D in 10.3 catalyst which coming in March.
    And about Pissx,it was useless for me even when i had the GTX295 never used it or impressed from it.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i really with that this damn thing comes out all ready so there will be no more troll semi accurate charlie piece of crap articles

p.s and yeah guess what guys u are commenting on a piece OF CRAP

8. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Wont this guy look like a complete donker if he's spouting rubbish or doesn't he mind?

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Why do nVidia always have to be douchebags with the names of their cards?

10. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
    Im really getting impatient, its almost like Nvidia is hiding something. We r hearing all this hype and we r getting nothing.I should start thinking like public enemy...."Dont believe the hype."

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac1070Mini 2Ghz+
    YEA! WHY DOESN'T X COMES OUT ON THE Y OF Z ALREADY?!?!?

fo real people, lol... take it easy

12. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i dont belive that the farmi(gf 100) will perform less then 5870.

see 9800gx2 and gtx 280 was almost equal.

8800 was better then 7950gx2.

so we can assume that gtx 480 will perform at least equal to the gtx 295 ( may be better ). and the dual card will be more powerful. but i think the problem will be power consumption and heat. still nvidia will go for the dual gpu card to say that they have the fastest card on earth.

bu i'm disappointed with farmi. i hoped that it will crush the evergreen( ati 58XX ). now i dont think this will happen. because i belive farmi will be faster then ati hd 5 series, but it will not be a crushing victory over ati (like 8800 and hd 2900)

13. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well imagine if fermi were a crushing victory. How many years would it be before needing another upgrade at this rate? I can't remember a time when video games could be played well on hardware 3 generations behind. If the rumors hold true and nvidia beats the 5870 by 200% in tessellation performance I'd say that'd be resounding even if it won't show up in benches right away.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    The rumour was that it was 100% faster in tesselation not 200%, but the 'official' benchmarks detailing fermi performance from a while back stated that it was 1.8 times faster with minimum frames, 1.6 times faster for maximum frames, and I think 1.5 times faster for average frames

15. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    let them fight and bring new products. if fermi is really 200% faster then ati will require a new card to compete with. then nvidia will bring something new. again ati will do. this is a circle which is needed to be continued. like a cold war.. so we will get better technology and better gaming experience. :)

btw still there are some people uses 8800's to play games...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010

16. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    8800's are still solid cards...a testament to NVIDIA's expert designs...meanwhile the 2xxx line...lol?

17. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC
    Before we get official Guru3D review from Hilbert, all these rumors are just a bunch of bullsh*t.

18. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I just want a single GPU to beat Crysis, boohoo.

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    It was said that GF100 will outperform HD5970 by 100% in tessellation.
    From that benchmark (Unigine) GF100 is quite faster than HD5870 but we wanna see real world benchmarks ( Games ).
    Now the thing that worrys me is that if carrol is right about GF100 1200-1250 hot clock makes me think that they ****ed up.....

20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Who cares about Crysis,it is almost 3 years old game and ok it still has the ''top'' graphics.The game is bad coded and it will never play ''ultra smooth''