Rumor: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Likely free to grab next week at the Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 15, 2020.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Epic probably IS paying them.

2. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    People always tend to support successful iconic games no matter what. It will be free after tons of sales during mega discounts there. Who wouldn't give 5 (after 10$ coupon) or even full 15$ for such a game? Free is for those who already own it or for people never thought about playing it at all.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    Was thinking the same thing....unless they are just trying to make a quick buck before giving it away, despite all the free games ive got on Epic my favorite i actually paid for......Observation.

4. QuantumsEdge

QuantumsEdge New Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Good thing we didn't ask for your opinion. Okay Thanks.

itpro likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Epic is better than Steam.

Change my mind. :p

WalterDasTrevas and itpro like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Wait you disagree with my opinion? Oh no, you just ruined my day.

You and me haven't seen eye to eye recently and while I disagree with you again, Epic are doing many things right. Steam is the better platform, for sure, you can't deny that. But Epic are the new kid on the block and they are making waves. They have to, because you can't just walk into this arena and suddenly have a large share of the market. It'll take time. Epic launcher is missing features that Steam has, Steam has the library etc.

Steam is also very stubborn about their pricing and their sales are a joke. So yeah, while I disagree with you on this one, and you were clearly being sarcastic, I'll say that Epic giving away free games and giving people discounts resulting in AAA games costing sub £15 is a nice way of doing things.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Witcher one was unique and got some love with its bugs and clunky controls. Witcher two was ahead of its time with graphics Uber sampling and unique scenario once again. But witcher three was the best, it had the best graphics of the series, stable performance and outstanding ost. That atmosphere was the reason assassin's Creed origins, odyssey, valhalla were born later.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Now thats a nice elaboration without forcing your opinion on others for a change.

Im not found of epic or steam lately but seeing Witcher 3 for free i respect that.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I don't force my opinion. I do not like misinformation though and I've proven you wrong multiple times in the past. Anyway. Am I missing something about EGS giving away TW3? I don't see it on the leaked footage.

10. h9dlb

h9dlb Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 ACX SC
    RDR2 is not 40% off, its 20% off reduced from £55 to £44. Still way too expensive for a single player game. No wonder sales on PC have been worse than expected

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    It should be -10 USD with the coupon so not very costly. I've paid more than double for some SNES games.
    Didn't like the game that much though, the game is made much longer thanks to the hellish labyrinth style maps.. heck, can't even use the saber to break wood.

As a platform, no. With prices, hell yeah. Gotten over 100 games for free and nothing comes close to this really.

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  12. Wrinkly

Wrinkly Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290 / 4GB
    I just can't support Epic's exclusivity deals, so I grab the freebies and pirate the exclusives. Everything else I buy via GOG or Steam.

SamuelL421 likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    A proud pirate. Haven't seen one of you in ages.

SamuelL421, GeniusPr0 and RzrTrek like this.
  14. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I never bought this, so I hope it's true. I didn't care for Witcher 2 despite putting a dozen hours into it.

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2+
    I'm not going to complain, but as @XenthorX mentioned in another thread, their only way forward, is handing out freebies at this point.

16. mrvco

mrvco Member

GPU:
    5700 XT
    Epic is becoming the MindGeek of PC Gaming.

17. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I hope it's true!

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Is it really??? Giving (good) freebies once a while is a good marketing move but it doesn´t bring real customers in the end. From what i´ve been reading, 90% of Epic´s Store users are just using the platform to collect the free games and then continue to buy the other games on Steam. So in the end they are not providing any competition, they are making gamers happy who want free games, nothing else. So unless they are making money out of users data, this strategy amounts to very little in the end...

It seems to me Epic was counting on Fortnite´s huge sucess to bring in customers to their store and challenge Steam from there and when they realised that was not working, they become desperated and just started giving free games so they can say they have xx million users and that their store is an epic sucess instead of an epic failure and so on...

They need something really good to convince people because they can´t give games forever...

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I am one of the few where none of the witcher games appealed to me. When W3 came out a few years ago I was swept away by the hype and bought it expecting a gorgeous open world, excellent gameplay and something that could keep me entertained for weeks. Yes, graphics were phenomenal, characters well done and initially enjoyed the gameplay. But as the game lumbered on, eventually I couldnt muster the enthusiasm to continue. Didnt like the pacing and some of the quests just didnt do it for me. Maybe managed to get through half the game. I thought I'll get back to it at another time, but never did.

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Exactly this. The open world ruined it for me. Pacing is terrible. You are on a mission to save someone yet you f*ck about with all these fetch quests. The game should have been a linear story driven affair, then we would be on to a winner. I loved the first two games and I've over 150 hours in TW3 but I always end up just dropping the game because I'm running around doing pointless sh1t that distracts you from otherwise solid main story line.

And before anyone pops up telling me I should focus on the main story instead then, I will ask you why is there so much pointless fluff in the game then? What is it there for? To not be touched? If it's there, I'm not just going to ignore it.

I managed to get hooked on the story in places, really gripping stuff but then it's followed up with some tedious nonsense and it completely breaks the immersion for me. Not for me, I've tried 4 times to play this and it's just a very badly executed game in my opinion. I think the most frustrating thing about it is that you can clearly see how good the game could have been. Some of the moments are outstanding but then the rest is very plain. By far the worst in the series for me.

Either way, can someone tell me why you think this is going to be free next week on EPIC?