Rumor: Radeon RX Vega cards Look to be Insanely good crypto-currency miners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The problem is that the rumour has some possible typos, and the 1070 appears to be under performing. Particularly in Doom.

I think the RX56 rumour is nonsense, im also not convinced by this one either.
    I don't really know much about mining etc... but it seems like such a large jump that it doesn't make sense.

2. Leiska

Leiska Member

GPU:
    HD 7950
    Please, no! I kind of need a GPU upgrade and I've been waiting for Vega for so long now. I don't really want to buy Nvidia because I hate the idea of getting ripped off buying a g-sync monitor.

3. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    This news about Vega hashrate is going to kick off another mining craze on top off the current one i'm sure about that .

Us poor gamers will pay the price for this, should you want/need a new GPU and getting your hands on a RX Vega i think you can forget about that for sometime to come unless you're willing to pay a inflated price tag . :(

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If that rumor is true it's about as much as an upgrade as the 1080. So why didn't all these 1070 owners that are looking to spend $400 on 20% more performance didn't buy the 1080 in the first place?

And why shouldn't these people wait only a few more months for Volta? Which is bringing another 50% perf/w over Pascal?

It's good for AMD short term, but I don't think it's good long term. A lot of people bought Nvidia cards in the past four months due to Polaris shortages. A lot of those people are buying G-Sync monitors with it and getting locked into the Nvidia ecosystem. The past few generations AMD has been relying a lot on it's fanbase to buy it's products and now they're being sold to miners who couldn't care less what brand is on the card. Those miners don't buy freesync monitors or any hardware peripherals either - so OEM's like ASUS/MSI and whatnot would rather sell the card to a gamer as well.

Then you have the left over stock when the mining market collapses. The market gets flooded with cheap cards and AMD competes against itself with a warehouse filled with cards they can't sell.

I honestly think the better solution for them would be to artificially gimp mining on it's gaming cards - force miners to buy the more expensive Vega FE. A P100 also does ~70mh/s but it's $6000 - 70/s on a $1000 card would sell I would think - or just drop it to a value where it would sell.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    All Gamers ? Um, Bullsh*t much ?
    Don't put your grievances in other peoples mouths please...
    They are not slow, and the drivers are fine.

6. LiV3WiR3

LiV3WiR3 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX Titan Quantum
    That was just the start/signal. We've been in a constant bull market since the start of this year. It has to come down now. There are many signs that are pointing to the inevitable bear market e.g scarcity of GPUs, Exchanges getting seized (BTC-e), ICO regulations by the SEC, Exchanges lagging and getting hacked, random non-techy idiots entering the markets (e.g Floyd mayweathr promoting a crappy ICO on social media) etc.
    This temporary increase in crypto markets is just a 'bull trap'. The bubble will burst very soon, and everything will be back to normal.

The actual professional miners were mining fine before this Gold rush started and there were no supply issues of GPUs, so don't blame them. Blame everyday regular plebs that are getting into mining lately because of 'Free moniez'.

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    So its a fact that Volta is 50% perf/W better than Pascal ?
    Care to show the proof of that ?
    Is a "few more months" somewhere between 1 and 12 ;) ?

Don't state rumours or guesses as facts please.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not a rumor or a guess, it's in Nvidia's Volta slides for GV100. The 12nm FFC process alone is a 25% perf/w increase, another number from TSMC itself.

https://images.nvidia.com/content/volta-architecture/pdf/Volta-Architecture-Whitepaper-v1.0.pdf

Also we're literally commenting in a thread that's based on a rumor and making guesses based on that rumor. So yeah.

9. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    The online retailers can solve this in an instant by limiting the number of cards one purchaser can buy in one order to 2 cards.
    Then the people who are looking for GPUs for non-mining purposes have a running chance to get one.
    The bricks and mortar stores can do the same.

10. readonly

readonly Member

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    I called this exactly in another thread. Of course this card was gonna sell well based on mining rather than gaming.

Not sure how much that would help. Maybe a little for the huge retailers who get large numbers but that idea (that they should do anyways) would just spread miners over multiple storefronts instead of each miners buying out stock from a single retailer. Also how do you stop miners who ship to a third party company (usually used when a site doesnt offer shipping to ur country)? They could use several of those services (to have multiple shipping addresses) and ship 2 to each. They can ship to their friends houses and use different billing for each. There's just too many ways to get around the "block" that it does little to curb these guys with determination.

11. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    DON'T believe any rumor as this one sound a bit to fishy if ask me.
    I wait for real hardware review by min other review to validate it.
    If true then fine but any case it not good for us game who to buy one.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Retailers are going to sell it for Max profit. There are no laws that can govern the final selling price otherwise that would be price fixing. AMD can cutoff the retailers but it would be too late to prevent price gouging.

Gamers are going to be screwed for a few months if Vega really can calculate hashrates much better than anything else.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Precisely--only people without any AMD experience come up with that rubbish...;) N00b city.

14. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    The performance is surely there, don't get me wrong. To me it doesn't makes sense dropping $499 for a GPU if you dropped similar amount not long ago for your 1070.

My buying technique is going for something with around 2x the performance I have, for that price range I'm in the market for. I had an R9 270x and was aiming at the RX570 (unfortunately couldn't get one). If you have a 1070, I'd wait for the 2070 or for Navi.

I love AMD cards, I bought a RX560 (instead of the RX570) because I didn't want a ****ing overpriced 1060.

I get the joke, coming from someone with a 1080Ti...but it's not funny.

I know there are professional miners and I really don't blame them, they can't make that big of an impact. They also use dedicated machines for mining and not just GPU's. The problem is when every John Doe wan'ts to get in the gold rush and starts to buy 20 to 30 GPU's to make 3 or 4 mining rigs for themselves. Then you have those faggots who buy all stock on store and sell them online for inflated prices to cash in the opportunity. That was the major issue on my country.

I wish, they're all too greedy and don't care.

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    If there's a demand, they'll introduce a graphics-free, displayless version for miners. But I think all of that is a passing fad, anyway.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I get where you are coming from, but that GV100 is built on its very own, very expensive process.
    I very much doubt the commercial Volta GPU's are going to be on the same expensive process, so the comparison is moot for now, until we know anything at all about 'our' Volta.

Also, this thread is about Rumours specifically pertaining to the Cryptocurrency capabilities of Vega, not a random rumour thread.

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    On Topic : I'd easily believe Gibbo, and it would be weird if ONE GPU manufacturer didn't take advantage of the Mining craze.

AMD needs the cash, and this is how they can sell every single one of the cards they make. Its a litteral Goldmine for them.
    At those hash rates, even a 50% functional Vega would be sold no problem.
    Flog those buggers to the miners, headless, at a price they couldn't refuse :)

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    All this^ In the short term is good for AMD to sell their GPUs to miners but on the long term, things could get ugly for them... Of course this is also bad for Nvidia users because without competition Nvida can continue to increase prices...

Crippling mining on their GPUs would be the best solution but is that even technically possible???

19. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    is it just me, or AMD is actually trying to make a market for Vega?

20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Can you point to where you get the knowledge that a LOT of people are buying GSync Monitors with their GeForce cards ? Really ?