Rumor: Radeon RX 7900 XT would be up to 3 times faster than the Radeon RX 6900 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 5, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it took 3 generations of ryzen cpus to nail the design,and a significant node advantage over intel's 14nm
    even 3rd gen 3900x wasn't that much faster than old ass 6700k as far as gaming

we'll see about gpus,it may be similar or they may nail it with 1st gen mcm
    what I hope for is amd finally releasing something that beats nvidia ahead of rtx40
    the last couple of years it was all about amd releasing something that is good enough to compete.just knock them out of the park this time.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    This would mean ray tracing could work . True next gen . We will see :)

4. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it does work now
    I mean it should,theoretically,if they finally deliver what they promised.at this point,without image reconstruction on amd,you're gonna have a better experience running rt on mid-range turings like 2070 with dlss on than navi21

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It's just "stopgap" raytracing , not full or meaning full raytracing. Not worth.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia delayed their mcm hopper arch and still focusing on monolithic design with lovelace this will leave them to dust until rtx5000 series. This could be a big break for amd and maybe even intel gpus snatching some market share.

7. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    What worries me is the availability of any hardware in couple of years, will it improve or just degrade even further, my actual target was to get 6800xt but the availability of it was next to none in my country and when it was available it was about 1.5X more than what i paid for 3070 which i am not entirely happy about. AMD is doing a great work presently giving us some great future with their hardware but these paper launches worry me even further as i look forward to full build upgrade which might not happen anytime soon.

8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    rtx is stopgap raytracing.
    rdna2's raytracing is non existent.
    it's still too early to judge who,if anyone,is "left in the dust".
    what i'm sure of is there will be no possibility to put three 300w navi21 dies on a consumer product,if this is three chiplets then it's 100w each.
    neither has mcm been ever been tried before and I'm pretty sure for game engines and api's this will not be just another new architecture.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I see the Infinite Cache on RX 6000 as one step toward an MCM design. In that respect Nvidia's design is much more traditional. Although Nvidia's GPUs still seem to work for them, especially toward higher resolutions, partially thanks to the larger memory bandwidths (compared to AMD), that traditional design is still something they need to step away from to make MCM work. AMD would have learned a whole lot from Ryzen that is directly and straightforwardly applicable to MCM GPUs as well. It's been a relatively long time in computer technology terms since the first Ryzen was released, yet Intel is still not ready to release their own equivalent. That's how long it takes to nail it down even on the CPU side, where things don't need to be as smooth. Depending on when exactly Nvidia began developing their MCM GPU tech, who knows how much work they still have left, having started from scratch.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. 3Faltigkeit

3Faltigkeit Guest

GPU:
    GF 7800GS+ AGP
    Ahh yes, these kind of very early rumors - they really oftern proof as wrong afterwards. I guess 3 times faster would be very very optimistic. The question is in which area. Maybe in Raytracing with some sort of DLSS - Then it could be true and maybe on par with nVidias next Gen. Anyway - I hope the next Gen would be better available and cheaper. If yes, it was a great thing to sell my 5700XT for 600 bucks, a couple of weeks ago :D

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    and now go upgrade to 6700xt for 1000
    I don't get people being so happy with how much they sold their cards for if getting a new gen card would cost them an even more ridiculous premium.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends how many cards you have :)

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    600$ is nothing for 5700xt, these cards are going up to 1,000$ this days.

14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The next gen is useless if we can't get them and we all be starved for GPUS like now...

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I wish both AMD and Nvidia stopped to make huge chips that only a few selected people can afford.
    Bringing the Ryzen design philosophy to GPUs is great, as smaller chips are easier to manufacture and sort for performance: making cheaper products.
    #stopmakingthembigger #bringbacksmallchips #floodthemarketwithGPU

olymind1 likes this.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No need to wish, its coming.

17. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    THREE TIMES FASTER!!! Epic, I want it! Yay AMD!
    After looking at reviews - Conclusion:
    Three times faster in all metrics but not in actual FPS
    :confused:

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is this one of those random leakers that pop up every cycle that just make things up, or does this guy have a history of getting things right?

We need a leaker database. Feels like every GPU cycle we get these clowns and no one holds them accountable. Remember Mooreslawisdead? How did all his predictions go? Oh I remember, he was wrong about everything. Still waiting for my DLSS 3.0.

19. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    MSRP $1999 Street price $3999
    I think we PC Gamers better of getting a MS/Sony console the sooner the better.
    To be honest in case of VGA failure, I would just sell my PC as it is and just go for any console that I can get.

20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, IF the 7900 XT performs as it's been rumored to be, then the AMD guy in me will be all over it....not upgrading my CPU yet as I feel the 3900X I have is good enough for a great gaming experience. I truly hope the RT performance would be vastly improved upon though. My 6900 XT can go into my 2nd rig should the day come....