Rumor of Intel closing a license deal with AMD getting stronger

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I don't believe Intel will pair their CPU die with AMD's GPU. No way.
    Using some IP licenses is a different case.

It is well known that Nvidia's license to Intel expired, so Intel needs someone else (the only choice is AMD) to still be able to release something with GPU.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    if i remember it was cross technology exchange and AMD used it for Ryzen...

it look like the best deal that M$ have done years ago on smartphone: whatever smartphone you bought from concurent, Apple or Android, part of the money goes in their pocket without doing nothing.

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Considering ZEN/RYZEN has been conceived like 5-7 years ago, I can't see it having any cross-technology licensing ties with Intel in regards to current GPU licensing.

5. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Does this extend to mobile parts as well? That is where AMD has a large advantage I hope they keep.

6. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i believe the license is not about something like using AMDs GPU

i believe it license more about the tech
    similar to ARM licensing (cortex or architectural licensing)

with the license intel will build their own things, there wont be any amd parts.
    AMD been doing really good with their SoC (jaguar)... i guess there something intel want to make their as good as AMDs

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    Agree for the project start, but as my race car where intended to be with Ford engine and were on track with Vauxhall when 1st hit the track... , i think i have read that it was an "exchange" of technology and was integrated in Zen.

Anyway it will not change anything for us :)

8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Why would they license AMD's integrated graphics when their own is just as good if not better nowadays?

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    They don't have basic licensing for patents. This is going to be a patent exchange.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Truth be told though we have not seen a new APU in years. If Summit Ridge rumors are true, then we will see some good performance coming out of their igpu's soon enough.

But even if the hardware is capable Intel compared to AMD, drivers for IGPU on the Intel side are horrible.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Not gonna happen.

Even if they wanted a 3rd party integrated GPU it would be with NV.
    NV parts are just much better especially for mobile parts where perf/w is most important.

Pascal is like 50% better in that regard compared to polaris.

12. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    ^ you have clearly never tinkered with one of AMD's APU's they are king in overall performance on a single chip even at 28/32nm

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    It has nothing to do with integrating silicone. Intel was licensing display patents from NVIDIA, now they will from AMD. Also Apple seems to disagree with you.

14. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    well onboard amd is a hell of a lot faster then intel onboard is garbage

15. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Iris Pro itself is pretty capable, but the fact you can't overclock it like you can some APU's, and memory clocks really have no performance affect on them as well, and then the fact Intel drivers are awful and anything with an Iris Pro is not cheap, it's not worth it.

17. LEEc337

LEEc337 Active Member

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Intel and nvidia have a shakey past since nvidia made the nforce chipset and brought dual channel memory and other technologies that are in use still I felt it was sour grapes on intels part soooooooo I don't think intel/nvidia would happen back when the news of amd gpu intel cpu deal broke the idea of it was amazing but now Ryzen is here I'd tell intel no and kick ass dominating the apu section make a few quid and continue to develop real game changing products

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Why would AMD say no, when they can do the licensing deal, make money on that and still dominate with APUs and make money both ways?

As for what the licensing agreement means - this is what Anandtech wrote about the original agreement when Nvidia won the court case with Intel:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4121/the-license-agreement-intel-to-pay-nvidia-15-billion

I bolded the important parts. I remember the ars article when everyone was claiming similar things to what they are with the AMD agreement.. that Intel would be integrating Nvidia GPU's into their processors. Obviously that didn't happen and I don't think we'll see AMD GPUs in Intel processors either.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  19. LEEc337

LEEc337 Active Member

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Fair enough you've done much more research into this it's all far more political than I'm interest in, so basically it boils down to intel need permission to make cpu/gpu combo regardless of whos gpu ip they use?