1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Rumor] NVIDIA Super: Refreshes GeForce RTX 2060 ($249), 2070 ($399), 2080 ($599)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by EL1TE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure why they would release a super 2080 Ti with nothing out there that even competes with the regular one. AMD doesnt have a tier in that performance segment nor will have any time soon. The 2060 looks like it will get the biggest upgrade if its going with 8gb vram. Because that means it should also get a 256-bit bus over the 192-bit one. Since the 2060 (TU106) is basically a 2070 (TU106) with a couple mem controllers disabled. Wonder what it will sell for, because it has the potential to be a big spoiler in its tier vs AMD.

airbud7 and Fox2232 like this.
  2. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    They are releasing a super 2080 Ti to attempt to entice more people into paying the outrageously inflated price for it. Nvidia thinks that people will pay the 1200-1300 if they offer a super version which is 10 percent faster.

3. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'll wait for Ampere and the 3080 Ti. At least 30% more compute performance and double or triple the RT performance, which in effect will make RTX "free."

They could literally double the RT cores right now and call it "Super" because RTX would become nearly free.

"Super" will be one of the following...
    * Faster memory 10-15% better performance
    * Double RT cores for almost "free" RTX
    * Ampere architecture (unlikely)

4. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The heavy lifting is still performed on the shader engine, it makes no sense that the heaviest compute load in the history of graphics needed only a 22% increase in die area. This guy has explained it a few times: "Turing has *zero* ray tracing 'units'- all calculations on Turing are done on exactly the same shader ALUs used for all shader operations- which is why it was trivial for nvidia to add ray extensions to Pascal. What Turing does have is ASIC circuits that better link geometry data variables to the shader machine code system, filling in the variables in the shader algorithm faster"

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nvidias-1200-flagship-gpu-vs-22-year-old-game.1485145/#post-254456410

5. djm67

djm67 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6Gb
    The cruel part of living in Australia is retail gouging.

Cheapest RTX2060 going is AU$550 (US$380)

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Lara ....Best third person shooter....I often pause the game just for a better look...:D

[​IMG]

7. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Navi countered before it even got released :p 2060 "Super" is beatin 5700 XT on price/perf..

Oh well.. Nothing for me. Waiting for Ampere at Samsung 7nm EUV, my 1080 Ti can last another year.

Crazy that AMD can't beat my 1080 Ti still... Had it since early 2017 :eek:

Starting to miss ATi... I hope AMD will start focussing more on their GPU division, looks like they are fine with being the low to mid-end solution..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 2:45 PM
  8. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    These boards start to sound slightly interesting now, I wonder what AMD GPU department is thinking with those Navi prices...they're DOA and will be toasted by "Super"...

9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 270X DC2 TOP
    You know that only a small % of gamers have 1080TI/2080/2080Ti cards, right? Most have GPUs up to 1070. And AMD has alternatives for up to the 1070 (I would choose the 1080 instead of the Vega64, but everything below 1080, has an AMD price-performance advantage).

Why would you buy even a $400 GPU to play an ugly game? :O

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    So, is there any confirmation or did all those people here become firm believers in something made by wtftech and likes?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    videocardz's info is more reliable and they are saying the 2080 super is still a tu104.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Thanks. But I meant actual confirmation on what "Super" means.
    nVidia did put out the word. And people went all crazy with GPU combinations which made no sense + crazy price reductions.

Resulting in lineup of fine steps in SM count... meanwhile nVidia is supposedly discontinuing old line. I can understand 2nd/3rd chip variant for something that has just one as they may have enough of chips where they can enable certain number of SMs and can reach certain clock.

But all in all rumors are in general against what nVidia needs to do. And that's why I think nVidia is silent.
    - - - -
    On other hand, if internet causes some wide panic and then heavy disappointment... Maybe it will force nVidia to lower prices as people could stop buying cards in anticipation of lower prices and then from feeling betrayed.
    People may get that "price war" same "leakers" write about. Maybe leaks are made exactly for this purpose, to trigger something.

But to be honest, looking at entry level prices of likes RX-580, there is not much space for lower prices. Therefore that price bracket is not going to benefit much. Except maybe nVidia reducing price of 1660 6G to match mentioned RX-580 8G.
    Could price bracket under $250 realistically get RTX 2060 to at least start looking at DX-R features with somewhat acceptable performance?
    - - - -
    What I see in shop availability, I could guess that Vega 56/64 are being discontinued. There are few variants left.
    And RX-580 seems to have lower number of variants too. But still enough to think that it is still around.
    - - - -
    In contrast to that, every GPU based on Turing has 2~3 times as many variants as Vega 56/64 available on stores. I think that speaks for itself.
    For example 19 variants of 2060 and each has good availability. It does not look like something that's to be replaced in less than a month.

13. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    They really don't. Not sure why you are talking 1000 series when they are replaced by 2000 series. RTX 2060 smashes Vega 64 in price/perf and Vega is old tech by now.

Refreshed RTX 2060 "Super" with 256 bus and 2GB more VRAM will demolish Vega 64 even more, it will also beat RX 5700. The price drop on non-Super 2060 will make it best value mid-end card, if not; 1660 Ti or 1660. AMD beat RTX 2070 non-Super in their own testing. Looking forward to official numbers.

AMD's GPU division is doing worse than ever. They had no answer to Nvidia's high-end for years at this point. And they talk about they don't want to be the cheap alternative anymore.. Hmm

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 10:12 AM