1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Rumor] NVIDIA Super: Refreshes GeForce RTX 2060 ($249), 2070 ($399), 2080 ($599)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by EL1TE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    They are releasing a super 2080 Ti to attempt to entice more people into paying the outrageously inflated price for it. Nvidia thinks that people will pay the 1200-1300 if they offer a super version which is 10 percent faster.

Solfaur likes this.
  2. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'll wait for Ampere and the 3080 Ti. At least 30% more compute performance and double or triple the RT performance, which in effect will make RTX "free."

They could literally double the RT cores right now and call it "Super" because RTX would become nearly free.

"Super" will be one of the following...
    * Faster memory 10-15% better performance
    * Double RT cores for almost "free" RTX
    * Ampere architecture (unlikely)

3. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The heavy lifting is still performed on the shader engine, it makes no sense that the heaviest compute load in the history of graphics needed only a 22% increase in die area. This guy has explained it a few times: "Turing has *zero* ray tracing 'units'- all calculations on Turing are done on exactly the same shader ALUs used for all shader operations- which is why it was trivial for nvidia to add ray extensions to Pascal. What Turing does have is ASIC circuits that better link geometry data variables to the shader machine code system, filling in the variables in the shader algorithm faster"

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nvidias-1200-flagship-gpu-vs-22-year-old-game.1485145/#post-254456410

4. djm67

djm67 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6Gb
    The cruel part of living in Australia is retail gouging.

Cheapest RTX2060 going is AU$550 (US$380)

5. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Lara ....Best third person shooter....I often pause the game just for a better look...:D

[​IMG]

Solfaur, carnivore, Order_66 and 5 others like this.
  6. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    These boards start to sound slightly interesting now, I wonder what AMD GPU department is thinking with those Navi prices...they're DOA and will be toasted by "Super"...

7. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 270X DC2 TOP
    You know that only a small % of gamers have 1080TI/2080/2080Ti cards, right? Most have GPUs up to 1070. And AMD has alternatives for up to the 1070 (I would choose the 1080 instead of the Vega64, but everything below 1080, has an AMD price-performance advantage).

Why would you buy even a $400 GPU to play an ugly game? :O

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    So, is there any confirmation or did all those people here become firm believers in something made by wtftech and likes?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    videocardz's info is more reliable and they are saying the 2080 super is still a tu104.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Thanks. But I meant actual confirmation on what "Super" means.
    nVidia did put out the word. And people went all crazy with GPU combinations which made no sense + crazy price reductions.

Resulting in lineup of fine steps in SM count... meanwhile nVidia is supposedly discontinuing old line. I can understand 2nd/3rd chip variant for something that has just one as they may have enough of chips where they can enable certain number of SMs and can reach certain clock.

But all in all rumors are in general against what nVidia needs to do. And that's why I think nVidia is silent.
    - - - -
    On other hand, if internet causes some wide panic and then heavy disappointment... Maybe it will force nVidia to lower prices as people could stop buying cards in anticipation of lower prices and then from feeling betrayed.
    People may get that "price war" same "leakers" write about. Maybe leaks are made exactly for this purpose, to trigger something.

But to be honest, looking at entry level prices of likes RX-580, there is not much space for lower prices. Therefore that price bracket is not going to benefit much. Except maybe nVidia reducing price of 1660 6G to match mentioned RX-580 8G.
    Could price bracket under $250 realistically get RTX 2060 to at least start looking at DX-R features with somewhat acceptable performance?
    - - - -
    What I see in shop availability, I could guess that Vega 56/64 are being discontinued. There are few variants left.
    And RX-580 seems to have lower number of variants too. But still enough to think that it is still around.
    - - - -
    In contrast to that, every GPU based on Turing has 2~3 times as many variants as Vega 56/64 available on stores. I think that speaks for itself.
    For example 19 variants of 2060 and each has good availability. It does not look like something that's to be replaced in less than a month.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
  13. Mundosold

Mundosold Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 560
    This looks a lot more realistic than "Faster and $100 less" especially with AMD having their prices as high as they are. Doesn't even seem like price drops because you could regularly get a 2070 for $500 and 2080 for $700 before.

And I still think GPU prices are outrageous. Remember when $300 was a decent sum to spend on a video card but got you within 20% of top-tier performance? $500 was top-of-the-line overkill? It's like they saw how much some people would pay during the bitcoin GPU shortage and thought "let's make those are regular prices!"

jbscotchman likes this.
  14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-super-series-graphics-cards-launch-date/

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Only hope for us is that current rtx cards gets a price drop.

16. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    OK, if this is true and in Europe the RTX 2060 with 8GB GDDR6 comes at 250, I'll buy one despite my GTX 1060. I'll sell it.

17. buhehe

buhehe Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Tri-X Vapor-X
    Let's not forget currency inflation though. There were definitely times where top of the line was 500-600, but higher prices have happened a lot as well.
    Oh, and from 2017 to 2019 there's another ~5% extra inflation.

(I'm aware these are MSRP and wouldn't take into account things like crypto craze etc)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  18. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    People who think these "super" cards are going to be cheaper are going to be very disappointed. Nvidia has no intention of bringing these out at a lower price than the current lineup. This is not a smart move on their part though. People are already pissed off at the outrageous pricing of the current cards. AMD is now trying to pull the same garbage with charging 450 US for a Polaris replacement. If Nvidia thinks that they are going to entice people to buy these updated models by charging the same rip off prices, they are mistaken. Video card pricing needs to go back to normal. This garbage of charging mining craze prices needs to stop. This is just a slap to the face of all gamers, and both AMD and Nvidia should be ashamed of themselves for pulling this bullshit on consumers.

Undying likes this.
  19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Inflation cost plus price of technology advancing, plus supply and demand leaves higher prices. We saw it with CPUs not too long ago, and started to go cheaper at least just in the past few years.

Aura89 likes this.
  20. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    4 posts above I said I'll buy an RTX 2060 Super IF it comes in Europe at 250 euros. And usually in Europe hardware is more expensive than the US. So if they do it, I hope it will be at least at 270 euros. Currently I can buy an RTX 2060 at 295 euros... No way. My 1060 has a lot of juice in order to threw it for an RTX. We will see. Besides, it's still rumors.

The new tech will catch up with time. Developers needed such a thing decades ago. But the first gen of RTX cards still hasn't the power needed. Perhaps only the 2080Ti. When Nvidia will go at 7nm node, I guess they will fill up more Tensor cores and will become much more powerful. For now I'd like the 2060 Super for the GDDR6, +2GB VRAM and even more powerful and supposedly cheaper. Plus, it's at least 30% more powerful than 1060 without taking into account Tensor cores etc. Only in this case I'll buy it. I'm inclined to pay up to 270-280 euros for such a card. Not a penny more.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019