Rumor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 12 GB GDDR6X in the pipleline?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 27, 2020.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    True. Or are nVidia and Intel the new "not AMD"? :D

tunejunky, Solfaur and Embra like this.
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Far from it. Right now the only problem of Nvidia is with Samsung´s production woes because they will easily sell every card they manage to release!

And we still have to see how good AMD´s cards really are.

Personally, i´m just glad we are going to have some much needed competition.

3. Chiti Super

Chiti Super New Member

GPU:
    rtx 2070 8 gb
    In my country rtx 3080 is 1200 USD , 3070 980 USD, very expensive, double the announced price .

4. Lebon30

Lebon30 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    (about the rumor update)
    Who didn't see that price coming? Regardless, releasing a Ti version so early is shooting in your 3090's audience's foot: Just a better priced 3090 that will perform roughly the same but with a bitl less VRAM and no useless NVLINK for 500$ less. This thing will sell as fast and will reamin as available as the current SKUs.

TheSissyOfFremont likes this.

5. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 1080ti
    Yeah Nvidia has done this before with Titan X Maxwell and Titan X Pascal, these cards along with 3090 are only appetizers for what people can expect out of the xx80 Ti.
    Let hope Nvidia use the maximum rated spec 21Gbps GDDR6X with the 3080 Ti.

Solfaur likes this.
  6. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING
    Exclusive in Grinch store!

7. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Is Nvidia copying smartphone manufacturers now? A billion models with similar specs and similar price confusing consumers on what to get, and most of them being a pos with quality control and no real warranty.

8. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    So if you buy a 3090 now you practically pay 500 bucks for an extra 64bit bus of memory bandwidth that you don’t need to begin with.

And NVlink which sounds very special since they removed it as a STANDARD FEATURE for EVERY CARD.

Way to go nVidia. Oh and not to forget: screw you!

Fox2232 likes this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    To me it seems the extra 64 bit of memory bus is the only interesthing thing. I do nto see extra shader as important right now, while 12 gigs with extra bandwith i would love.
    Eventually we do not know what is making the 3090 faster, if the extra memory speed or the extra shaders.

Lily GFX likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Considering that OC'ing the gpu cores barely affect performance, but that increasing ram clocks do, it's pretty safe to assume, that it's primarily the increased bandwidth that gives the 3090 an advantage over 3080, especially at 4k and beyond.

Lily GFX likes this.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    no they are only crazy and in a full-on "release war" where they show or create a new unplanned card every time their adversary has something to sell whatever it is
    it looks like a children's playground but instead of screaming and scratching they release new products, seen from the customers point of view it's a chaotic mess (only beaten by intel "lake" madness there are so many cpu types from Intel now that I stopped reading anything related to the brand)

I thank the lack of stock as I would probably had bought a 10gb 3080 if they were available (2x fps coming from a 1080ti and I need 100-120fps for black frame insertion to work properly)
    but now I'm open to anything including going full AMD if the synergy between the new cpus and gpus brings something different

Silva likes this.
  12. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX580
    Wait for the 7nm refreshes, oh boy are people going to fume.

Silva likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    In terms of too many models, I'd say the 3000 series isn't that bad, compared to the RTX 2000/1600 series or the R# 200 series. Even for enthusiasts, Nvidia's last-gen products were confusing. As for AMD's old 200 series, they had a smorgasbord of different architectures.
    In terms of quality issues, the RX 5000 and GTX 400 series I think were worse. The RX 5000s had driver issues (in Windows) for way too long, and IIRC, some of the GTX 400s would suffer permanent damage from overheating.

So if anything, smartphone manufacturers are doing the copying haha.

Lily GFX likes this.
  14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    why ?
    amd priced their top card at 999 (2080Ti level,but this is somehow okay for amd fans even though the card will only compete with Turing in RT)
    nvidia waited
    will price theirs at 999 with better performance and more vram

who's really on track here ?

agreed.
    3080 and 3070 are the only good cards from economical standpoint.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I have a feeling it's not enough. The refresh RTX3080ti needs to be more powerful than RTX3090 while keeping the price at $999 to compete with RX6900XT. It's obvious to me that ampere is maxed-out in it's current state with nowhere to go.

Legacy-ZA likes this.

16. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX580
    Correct, maybe they will be manufactured on 7nm? Let's see.

17. TheBeastInside

TheBeastInside New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Paper launch revision 2, coming soon to a fantasy near you....
    It seems like this time everything is either hard to get or way overpriced.
    I'm waiting for AMD 6000 series reviews, but judging by Ryzen 5000 availability and the upcoming paper launch wars, it might be better off ignoring upgrades till end of next Q.

Undying, Stormyandcold and SaberJ2X like this.
  18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    If I was Nvidia, I'd be getting as many orders and pre-orders in with TSMC asap. Might even be a "pay a bit more" to grab some 5nm capacity kinda situation...

19. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Master
    So in short a 3080 with double memory and same amount CUDA cores as RTX3090.

The one thing that made previous xx80TI great for gamers was the slightly lower 352bit
    memory bandwidth + higher clocks and decent amount memory.

I know they can not do that again because of the design but I would rather done a 3080Ti
    with 384bit memory bandwidth and 12GB memory. To avoid memory on both sides, so it
    could be colder and faster.

Then again unless you intend to keep the GPU more than 2 years the normal 3080
    will be fine for gaming I think. There will not be many games that need more memory
    anyway. Except the ones that is poorly optimized with 4k everything with no higher
    visual quality compared to slightly lower settings..

The real competition is the 6800XT... :rolleyes:

It is still easier to get a 3090 at the moment. The 3080Ti queue will be close to the 3080 one.
    I will get mine friday if lucky or early next week, it was sent today from retailer.
    After seeing these specs I am happy I did not wait that much.I rather have full memory
    bandwidth with this much memory and I still need it for work.

Next generations is going to be interesting thou. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Am sure AMD anticipated this and will have a little something in the wings either way after being stung by Nvidia on a RTX2070 and a 2080ti and seeing the performance/price of those in comparison to these new cards they can whistle going firmly team red this time even if it means a few FPS less

Lily GFX likes this.