1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor: Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2018.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Probably go to three digits like they have done before. And anyway, 20 does come after 10, not immediately il grant you but after all the same.

2. craycray

craycray Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti SC2
    Plot twist. Ampere is going to be a refresh of their ARM APU chips.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I'd be surprised if nVidia compete with themselves and release Ampere or whatever it will be called in April... unless they have done the research to know they'll make more profit off of miners by selling new technology rather than keep pumping out the 1000 series.

4. ATi Lazarus

ATi Lazarus New Member

Here's what I think and I do hope I'm wrong, I don't believe Ampere is real at all, it's just the press reporting on each others own stories like an echo chamber.

We haven't seen a single reference to Ampere on anything official from nVidia, no roadmaps, nothing vaguely legitimate leaked, absolutely nothing. I don't believe I have seen anything 'big' get released in resent years that hasn't been leaked the hell out of. I sadly think the most realistic likelihood is that Ampere is a poor translation back and forth of Volta.

I also think Nvidia will have stopped production of the GP102 simply because they have tens of thousands in their inventory awaiting RAM. They don't need to make anymore for a good while. These chips are not the reason we don't have normally prices cards in stock atm.

That's not to say I don't think new cards aren't coming but I firstly think they will simply be Volta based, secondly I don't think Nvidia will be in any kind of a rush as they can't keep up with demand for Pascal so why switch to a presumably riskier yield Volta chip and thirdly I believe we are going to be pretty disappointed with the performance jump from Pascal to Volta. When you look at clock for clock, core to core performance of the V100 it isn't that impressive at all. The V100 is a monster chip at an insane price but the $500-1000 cards simply won't be anywhere near this big as Nvidia just can't make them for that price.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and like I said I really do hope I'm completely wrong and Nvidia releases some spectacular cards in April based on Ampere that blows Pascal out of the water.

claydough and GamerNerves like this.

5. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Amd had belly flopped on HBM , HBM2, more so on availability then design . I think that's where Amd tripped up and have suffered since.

Miners are different game ..... Business is business and that's the stark reality, I can see mrp's , soon as they are available being higher than normal, because it will be a smoke screen of whats been happening. What I am trying to say is , miners will affect launch day prices, because if they can add £20 - £30 to the near price the customer will swallow it, thinking phew at least its not a £100 more!

What ever way you look at it gaming and the pc industry has taken a plunge in the wrong direction because of greed! I know mates who cannot get into pc gaming purely because of memory and vga price hikes!

I wanted a good card for my 4k monitor and i myself sold my ryzen setup and have now gone back to a backup computer for just doing the normal everyday tasks! I have lost interest in having a fancy computer. In fact, I'm not missing it and spending energy elsewhere!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    claydough likes this.
  6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Why are people confusing business with charity, to those that manufacture and sell PC components, miners and gamers are collectively known as ''Customers'.

kruno likes this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    They will have done their research, and if they can produce a component that positively effects profitability then they will release it. Ultimately everything in retail and services boils down to supply and demand, if demand outstips supply then raise the price until there is parity enough to maintain the new price. Looking at the current state of the GFX card market, demand is high due to a sudden increase in customers, supply is low due to manufacturing issues, that means the equation has been done and a sustainable new RRP for say an 1080Ti is upwards of 950GBP. If a new card can guarantee a gain for the customer (be it in mining or gaming) then the S&D equation is rerun. Market Researchers are clever people you know, they get things more right than wrong.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I live in Canada, and I'd probably have to pay a pretty penny for customs, which might wipe out any savings I could get. I could look into it a bit but it's probably not worth it.

You can still get a GPU for a reasonable price here, you just need to do some research and do a bit of waiting. Nvidia sells cards on their site for MSRP and EVGA also sells their products on their site for a decent price. Of course they're all out of stock at the moment but you can use the auto-notify feature for when they're back (you only have about a ten minute window though).

Gamers moan about mining because they're the only ones losing out. Mining is great for GPU manufacturers, retailers, and of course the miners themselves. Gamers are left out in the cold though so they are understandably upset. Also, gamers feel entitled to these cards, since they're the ones who made company is like Nvidia and AMD a success, so the fact that miners are now reaping the benefits rubs gamers the wrong way.

claydough, H83 and gx-x like this.
  9. anthos

anthos Active Member

GPU:
    -
    Vat + import duties + shipping = same crap

claydough likes this.
  10. anthos

anthos Active Member

GPU:
    -
    How do you think things happened before the current format?

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I wonder if Nvidia and AMD are going to increase their prices in order to take direct advantage of the mining craze. They know that miners are going to buy anything they put for sale regardless of the prices and this way they could increase their margins even more with minimal effort... Of course this would hurt retailers margins but i can´t see them too worried about that...
    As for the gamers, we are fucked anyway as long as mining is profitable using GPUs...

12. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Maybe so. I'm not an expert on that but I'd assume it varied by country. All I can say is that I have family in the states and sending them packages from Taiwan has been pretty cheap but it's a lot more expensive for them to send me anything.

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    See my post on running a business or a charity.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm confident Ampere is real, but I don't think it's going to be anything exciting. Merely just an incremental upgrade. I think for anyone who doesn't own a GTX 1070 or better, it'll be worth getting, but otherwise I'm sure most of us will pass it up. That being said, Nvidia didn't focus much on it because they know it isn't worth everyone's attention. AMD has done the same thing with a lot of their incremental upgrades or rebrands.
    Possibly. But I think it's also common practice to just stop producing something that's already obsolete.
    As the article said, consumer-level GPUs won't be Volta based for a while, nor should they be. Volta [currently] has nothing to offer gamers, and is way too expensive for how little of an improvement they'll offer. The Titan V may be the cheapest "desktop" Volta GPU we'll see for at least a year. Ampere is likely derived from Pascal, and the "rush" that Nvidia has with making it is to appease stockholders, so they know they're not just sitting around doing nothing. Investors like to see progress.

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    funny thing how i saw this coming and got the internet raspberry.

all based on the premise that 1) processes shrank faster than expected, 2) they were going to milk the market with the 1070ti, which oh btw is an excellent mining card, 3) the Big Data market...which owns more gpus than miners and most countries, 4) the AI market which is closely shadowing the Big Data market, 5) because of #1 they knew they had to maximize production before the new processes came online.

now the very smart idea to split off tensor cores from the consumer market, thereby lowering the cost and otherwise do a process shrink refresh.

this is why they dominate

claydough likes this.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII gtx1080ti
    also splitting off the tensor cores keep Big Data honest at buying pro cards. you will never see more gtx 1080ti's in your life than seeing any one of several Google server farms.

17. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    A 1080Ti costs $1500 AU dollars here, ridiculous when they are bringing out a new line of cards.

18. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I went from Radeon Saffire 6990 to twin 1080's, which allowed me to game at 4K. Just what the doctor ordered.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    So this is a crippled down volta? Well I hope it is.. Don't want another Pascal variant. Also I think I'll just wait for full TI variant.

claydough likes this.
  20. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    If "ampere" doesn't look like having HMB2 then I am waiting for the cards that do - maybe mid next year?8K monitors may have come down in price by then too - so I'll upgrade video card first -see if it can run 4K @ultra, and if there is a decent 8K monitor around I might go for sli, although I wanted to stay away from SLI. But we'll see what happens.