Rumor: Next gen AMD Epyc processors will get 64 CPU cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I know this isn't a consumer part. But why do I feel like the core count race just did in 2 years what 15 years of clock sped races couldn't.

I mean even with 64 cores....would the next big thing at 128 cores in 2 or 3 years really be beneficial for anything but pure rendering/calculating farms etc...or would the real speed increases come from higher/faster cpu cache....higher ipc and clock speed and interface improvements etc.

If they made a fast enough 16 core consumer cpu. I am confident you cpuld get like 8 years out of it provided you bought a chipset that had a brand new pci interface like 5.0 so that you wouldn't limit your gpu down the line.

Whereas beforw, I always tell myself that I will be good ages with a cpu and end up caving.

I went from a 9450 to an i7 870 to a 3770k to a 6700k and got massive performance boost each time. Sometimes 50% faster depending on the game. And I mean real world improvements. Like dips down to 40 frames in farcry 2 to a 60 frame minimum.

Give give me 8-16 cores and chipset loaded with m.2 slots and I'm good. Throw in pci 4.0...
    Hopefully in a year what I want will be out.

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    And how much you can mine with this for your website (+ ads ofc, we all like the extra dosh).

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Warlord isnt the brightest around here.
    Everything he seems to post bashes AMD or throwing a tantrum.

Keitosha likes this.