[Rumor]"Japan-based Nintendo is planning to launch its next-generation games console"

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by (.)(.), Jul 3, 2015.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    DigiTimes

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    There definitely will be a market for Nintendo's new console. I personally am look forward to seeing what innovations it brings to the table. I really do feel that right now the two current next gen console are offering nothing new or exciting. If Nintendo does this right, it could be on to a winner.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    If nintendo does it right and brings more powerful system then ps4 and X1 it will sell. And if they name it frikkin right not Wii U that casual market thought was a frikkin addon for Wii. I enjoyed Wii U and enjoy it still, need to get some more games for it tho.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    20 million units in a year, can they even manufacturer that many units in a year, at that volume i suspect when we open the new NX console box, it will just have a brick in it with a note wrapped around it which says "**** you for not buying the Wii-U". lol

5. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    Nintendo creating a console that's as powerful as the same generation it's releasing in? That's a good joke. That hasn't happened in almost 20 years and I doubt it'll happen now.

Maybe if Nintendo stepped their game up and stopped producing crap, they'd be somewhere and not whining about how their customers "didn't understand the Wii U, and that's why it didn't sell well".

I miss when Nintendo made good products and I'm still annoyed about my 3DS XL. So poorly made and poorly designed.

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I hope Nintendo show how powerful a next gen console should be and how bad PS4 and Xbone really are. It is public knowledge that there not powerful enough.

mmmm Nintendo maybe it will be about the same as PS4

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    This is basicly it for me. I had really high hopes , but it really turned out as a disaster.
    no 3d mario, zelda to next platform ? so that leaves only mk8 and windwaker and dk for me personally.
    really this is pathetic..

8. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I wish they'd just stop making consoles and focus on making games, imagine Mario Kart on PS4 :eek:

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I think they should wait until the Wii-U runs its course like in 2017 which would make the Wii-U 5 years old. Give it time to get a Zelda game released.

Also what Nintendo needs to do get back into the game here as far as hardware goes is go the x86-64 route and make it easier for programmers to make the games for the system. Also by going this route it will entice developers to develop for Nintendo again.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I actually liked the 3d mario world a lot sure it ain't like mario galaxy or sunshine. But it was awesome. Else for me there has been mk8, windwaker, wonderful 101, bayonettas, pikmin 3 and huryle warriors. I was thinking about getting dk and splatoon.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    DK is a fantastic platformer, one of the most challenging too, not interested in splatoon personally, just another competitive tps.

Playing through yoshi's woolly world as well, pretty great if you were a fan of the SNES version.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Well n64 was pretty powerful more so then ps1 (cartridges made it "fail"), gamecube was on par with xbox so both faster then ps2. Wii and Wii U have been the weak links sort of. I can see nintendo doing more powerful console then x1 and ps4 why not. Wii U is the third in terms of power out of the consoles now for sure.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I was interested in Woolly world thanks for reminding. It looks cute as hell :D

14. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    If I remember correctly, the Xbox was the most powerful out of the three. And after doing some more research it does seem that the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. With that said, the PS2 had more technologically impressive games than the Gamecube. The best example being Gran Turismo 4 and it's 1080i capabilities. Absolutely no idea how Polyphony Digital managed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uCOnFaxli0

Also, "weak link of sorts"? The Wii was, by design, way less powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Nintendo wanted a console that was small, could run in a standby mode without needing a fan and was extremely quiet. All three of those point to low performance.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This. Nintendo should stick to handhelds and make games for the big two consoles.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, the ps2 paled in comparison to the gc by far. Only need to look as far as Res4 on gc vs the ps2 to see that.

Gran Turismo 4 and it's 1080i capabilities: This was limited to ntsc only and wasnt true 1080i, it was a 480p image then software upscaled.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Also hold in mind that the Wii was more or less just an overclocked Gamecube, which is why it was so easy to emulate.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This makes no sense. Gamers keep saying things like this without actually realizing what it would result in.

Nintendo dont need Sony or MS, if there was to be a gaming crash of sorts, you can bet you last HDD that Nintendo would come out without a scratch. Nintendo arent hurting for cash in the console/gaming business. Nintendo could release a machine to make Sony's and MS console look like the mid-nextgen pos they are, but why bother when you're too busy catering to your own customers who arent interested in COD/Ubi and other thirdparty trash. People play Nintendo for nintendo games, if you like third party then there soooo many avenues to acquire those experiences and cheaply.

That brings us to cost. If Nintendo were to make a console powerful enough to match the other two, this just makes the console more expensive for Nintendo's core player base who have no interest in COD/Ubi/BF etc. Those dime a dozen reshashed annually AAA games would be the only reason to make a more powerful console since those players of said AAA games would only complain if they looked worse on the Nintendo console vs what MS and Sony's can do.... which is currently the case and as such, Nintendo dont need to do this as Sony and MS already have those gamers covered.

That brings us to Nintendo then having to try and win over an audience that has belonged to Sony and MS for over 10 years. Good luck with that. I cant for the life of me even imagine Nintendo speanding stupid amounts of cash just to lure the Cod/BF/halo crowed and that right there would actually be the worst business plan that Nintendo could possible make.

Then theres the quality issue. That Gold Seal of approval genuinely means something to Nintendo. When was the last time Nintendo had to deal with mass console hardware failures? Ms lost a 1.1b on red rings, Sony (while not a hardware issue) bleed how much cash because of the PS3? Again, that Gold Seal of approval actually means something to Nintendo, they stick by it and constantly ensure nothing damages its reputation. Can that be said for MS or Sony?

All these comments of what Nintendo need to do in regards to hardware and thirdparty devs are from BF/Ubi/COD gamers feeling inconvenienced in the fact that they have to change consoles when going from Mario 10 to AssCreed 15. There is simply no logic in such armchair business plans.

As far as im concerned, if nintendo do ever get forced out of the gaming market and the Nintendo brand ends up worse than sega's, it wont be because of Nintendo's own internal doing, it'll be the exact same reason that ruins all of gamings greats - Nintendo making the mistake of listening to gamers. And unfortunately, i think Nintendo are already starting to give in.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Nintendo needs third party companies like EA and Ubisoft to make it's next console a success. You only have to look at how quickly the games dried out once the major third parties stopped releasing games on the Wii-U. Unless the new console offers something very unique, (which knowing Nintendo it could very well be) then there simply won't be any major interest from consumers. Why buy a console that only has a limited number of games being made by just a small handful of developers?

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Because Nintendo's fanbase dont care about thirdparty games like Ubi/EA/COD etc and Nintendo know this.

Why build a system to cater to those games and gamers when there are already two systems that have those bases covered? You only end up focusing on trying to win over a player base that MS and Sony have owned for over 10 years and if you spend all your time doing that, then you end up neglecting or placing your own in-house efforts and core fanbase in second place. This is the trap MS has fallen into. What first party games do they have other than Forza, gears and Halo? Anything thats up there with Sony or Nintendo's first party titles? - No, not by a long shot, its all sports and COD. Why? because thats MS core player base, forza and Halo a second rung compared to the number of players sports games and COD brings to MS' console.

It makes no sense to focus a superseding console on games that are already catered for on two other systems. What would nintendo accomplish by that? It'd be nothing but a copycat system. You're also forgetting what placing such focus on those popular AAA games would do to Nintendo's online aspect. Are gamers really going to want to spend more money on yet another subscription service (Nindendo's equivalent of PSN or Xlive) to play those AAA games online with their friends, or would they prefer to just stick with their current psn/xlive accounts?

Then theres the thirdparty type that arent of the Ubi/BF/COD etc crowd, the developers of games like Zombie-u, Mad World etc. Go google all the thirdparty game available on the wii and wii u and see how many are not also available on playstation and Xbox. Why is that? Simply because they are not games that are targeted at the sort of playerbase that have a ps or xb. How many thirdparty games on the wii/wiiu do you think would be popular to the psn or xb crowd? All most none. Playstation and xb gamers typically see nintendo offerings as kids games, they're all to busy playing BF/COD/AC and destiny.

This idea that Nintendo need to put more focus into by the numbers AAA games is the same as how most AAA publishers have placed all focus on making some of the oldest ip's like BF/COD/RB6 more accessible and profitable. All you achieve is alienating your original fanbase that have been then from the beginning while acquiring a new fanbase that has no brand loyalty.