Rumor Has it: Microsoft may takeover EA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2018.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    That´s my dream!!! Too bad is never going to happen... But maybe MS sells some IPs to recoup the huge investment on acquiring EA.

Of course! All the good stuff would be made available for the betterment of mankind!

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As someone who avoid MS and EA products whenever possible, this largely has no impact on me. But I'm interested to see how this pans out if the rumor ends up being true. Seems like there could be some issues for Playstation and Nintendo users (though not likely - MS isn't as anticompetitive as they used to be).

3. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    What's the old phrase...Jumping from the Frying pan into the FIRE!

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, better get used to it and grow a thicker skin, helps a lot from awkward cringe you experiencing.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Not sure how I'd feel about this.

On one hand, I kind of like the idea of ditching the borderline awful Origin and just having all EA titles become Play Anywhere titles (even if it means they are only available in the Microsoft store) where I can play them on my PC and Xbox One X and can crossplay with my Xbox One and PC friends like I can with the other Microsoft games (I really like that feature). Also, this could mean we can finally get NHL, UFC, Madden, etc. on the PC (again), which would be nice.

On the other hand, we woud be one step closer to a monopoly, which isn't good at all.

airbud7 and AsiJu like this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Hmm, hadn't thought about it that way. NHL on PC would be glorious...

7. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    To be honest, let them. EA has fallen to crap. MS is still quite a way from that. Although I wouldn't expect EA's games turning into gold in case MS takes over but at least there's a chance.

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I agree with you m8.

Most will argue the price of games didn't change in the last decade. So they had to find other ways of making money with DLC's. So now we can't buy a decent complete game anymore. What these people fail to see is that compared to 10 years ago, those companies spend millions on marketing instead of making a compelling game that people would want to buy, would NEED to buy.
    When I bought Battlefield 1942 I felt the need to buy Battlefield Vietnam. And then again with Battlefield 2. Then they started pushing DLC out and I felt betrayed. Eventually I bought Bad Company 2 and BF3 but stopped there. No more BS for me.
    I don't miss those games anymore, there's no stimulus for me to buy them.

cryohellinc likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Bravo, fully agreed.

Silva likes this.
  10. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    Sounds about right, Ea aren't even worth considering anymore. The last 10 years they have shown their true colors

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Dont make such jokes!!@

Jokes side i cant see this being a good thing either

you mean steaming pile of... right?

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    In 2012, Consumerist readers voted EA the worst company in America.

Hopefully MS will do better than polish the turd.

13. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Ah yes, the sport games. They bring lots of money and if they were to be Xbox exclusives, like FIFA and such, then that would be ultimately a very tough spot for Sony.

To add, I cannot understand this MS and EA hate. There are far worse companies out there. I like Microsoft products and I have enjoyed many EA games.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    You want to play any ea sports tittle? Exclusivevto xbox and maybe pc , that alone will be one of the huge deciding factors on the casual console market, and i know a lot of people that had a console just for pes and last 5 years or so fifa

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    'E... A.... Sports!

It's in the lootbox now!' TM

To be fair EA Sports has surely made the best EA games by far for a decade.
    FIFA is well, FIFA and NHL series has been excellent always (excluding the last subpar PC ports from PS2 versions). Etc.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is optimistic!, I see MS put the turd in brown bag and lighting it on fire and then smashing it.

While I sorta agree ea sport has only part EA that really cares about there games sorta, I also dont agree cause I dont like what EA sport did to there sport games. "it's not in the game" like been saying for years but that is my opinion.

AsiJu likes this.
  17. Sincreator

Sincreator Member

GPU:
    Zotac Amp GTX1070
    I really don't mind playing Gears 4 through the M$ store honestly. I know I am probably in the minority but everything has worked fine for me. I have never had to redownload/reinstall the game, but I do have to stay on a certain drivers for the game to work properly. Not really M$ fault though, and TC(the coalition) have stated multiple times that they are working with Nvidia on that fix.

The biggest positive that I can see is the ability to hinder cheating in multiplayer games. In the last year and a bit that gow4 has been out I might have seen one or two cheaters, and they are banned quickly through the XBlive reporting system. I could also see where you HAVE to be on Win10, makeing new accounts may not work if you have a permanent ban for cheating. Can you imagine cheaters having to buy a new copy windows, new copy of a game, and also set up all new emails to set up accounts with all over again, lol.

The biggest negative would be if M$ forced you to also have a Gold membership to play, same as on Xbox.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    @tsunami231 Yeah they're hardly perfect and can be inconsistent qualitywise. Plus as is evident I have mostly experience from NHL series only with the odd FIFA in the mix.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Highly unlikely. If true I'm sure the most important piece of the deal would be acquiring Origin. The game franchises are nice but I bet they are after a download service that isn't a complete mess and there is no way in hell anybody will ever acquire Valve.
    Now I don't know if it's worth that much money though but they would make it up fairly quickly I'm sure.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I hate EA and what they've become. I may hate the Windows Store even more so. This is a hard one to judge.