Rumor: GeForce RTX 3090 Pricing To Sit at $2000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2020.

• Nvidia's GeForce 7950 GX2 was a dual-GPU video card released on June 5, 2006
    • According to a 2006 ExtremeTech article, "Nvidia did not release a suggested price for the card, a quick survey of online retailers revealed prices ranging from about $635 to $720."
    • Taking inflation into account, $699 USD in 2006 would be $898.37 in 2020.
    • That is a cumulative rate of roughly 28%.
    It's clear Nvidia's approach towards flagship products & flagship pricing has changed & it's unlikely they'll ever release a quantitive explanation breaking that down. Meaning if a flagship product were to cost 2K now, one would surmise the difference of $1,102 is apparently being factored in per card to account for R&D which is an umbrella for a litany of other subcategories etc...

There is another possibility; it's a bullshit price tag settled on from God knows where and greed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2020
  1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol....comparing a dual-GPU G71 196mm2 card to a theoretical likely around 700mm2 dual GPU card and trying to claim if they can make a $900 dual-GPU card in the past then this should be the same price.....lol.......

fry178 likes this.
  2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @geogan
    you do realize, thats how governments pay for things like social security/unemployment etc.
    especially on things "we" dont need to survive to the next day like shelter heating etc.
    i know i rather live with higher taxes, than less and have less "services" offered because of it.

@Supertribble
    and?
    a 911 Turbo cost 50K in the 80s, not its +120K.
    a one family house (Germany) was about the same, now its +200K for the same thing.

@at all
    besides the fact that we dont have actual prices for the new stuff, dont like it, dont buy it.
    its as easy as that.
    we arent all driving +300K super sports cars, nor do we eat "hand fed" organic meat for 2$/100kg,
    yet no one runs around and complains about that.

as many other things, its something we "want", not "need", and i buy what my wallet allows, not based on a benchmark result,
    but that doesnt mean i will sour it for ppl that have the money/means to buy a 2K card, nor will i whine about its existence in the first place.

Embra, alanm and Aura89 like this.
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    There is a hell of a lot more going into new GPUs than the simple, almost primitive versions of the past. Just look at the PCBs of older cards that appear almost bare bones compared to todays GPUs.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    @Neo Cyrus

Unfortunately you can't just undercut a company expecting to sell much more, doesn't work like that. You have to think about the supply you have and not price it in a way that it just runs out too fast. AMD also needs the funds to keep R&D going, they're not sitting in a massive cash pile like Ngreedia is, so they did what they could: hug the Ngreedia price. Now if the market starts to shift a little, and AMD can secure more production because they know it will sell, pushing bigger production means lower price per unit. Problem is the massive amounts of people like "ur dur I'm sitTiNg iN 1 oR 2k tO bUy wHatEveR N$iDia spiTs oUt nExt geN". I'll only buy the most sensible choice of price/performance at my budget.

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    You've responded to me but I don't know to what post, exactly, but my admittedly ageing brain doesn't recognise what you are taking issue with.

6. The automakers don't work a whole lot differently aside from a few obvious things. You can laugh because it's easy sure but I don't think I wrote a post stating

"comparing a dual-GPU G71 196mm2 card to a theoretical likely around 700mm2 dual GPU card and trying to claim if they can make a $900 dual-GPU card in the past then this should be the same price.....lol......."

I simply showed there'd be a large disparity aside from inflation over the past decade & if that is alone to account for R&D well, then that is a lot of R&D for consumer GPUs considering the massive amount of NVIDIA's portfolio that isn't dedicated to that market space, most of theirs is elsewhere and they make large profits elsewhere. It's not laughable and actually quite sensible but I'm assuming you aren't interested in considering any of these points and would rather sit in an echo chamber write "lol" and be a jackass.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Oh well, who really needs food, heat and shelter. lol

fry178 likes this.
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Who said anything about R&D? You literally compared a tiny GPU, with very little cost, to a very large GPU, with very high cost, and stated you expect nvidia should be able to price them the same...this is regardless of any other factors such as higher cost memory, PCB designs, cooler designs, R&D, etc.

fry178 likes this.
  9. SethNW

SethNW New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1070 8GB
    Considering the name change, I could totally see it, since if prices would be same, it would just be 3080Ti. But with 3090 they are trying to play on psychology of this being more. So people don't fell they are losing 3080Ti to price hike, but rather getting new tier. Especially if it will have huge 24GB VRAM upgrade, nVidia will definitely make sure you pay for that.

Also it feels like they are preparing for recession too, since value of dollar is dropping, they are price hiking to compensate. Because it is always easy to drop price if hike was unnecessary, it us much harder to price correct for lower value of dollar by increasing price later. So there might be some of that going on, to ensure they have headroom.

Though a lot of this will also depend on what AMD us doing. Again, here it is great to have headroom to drop price too. So they are like, if AMD is very competitive, drop price, if not, let people pay for top end, we all know there are types who will gladly pay 2000USD. And at that price, it more than makes up for it being low volume oroduct. But for us mere mortals, there will always be 3080 or lower. I am thinking to replace my 1070 with 3070 or AMD equivalent and finally go for 1440p panel I keep saying I will get, unless 4k suddenly becomes easy to run. Though when requirements with next gen bump up, 1440p would be safer option.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Supertribble
    #vat being higher in your country..

@SethNW
    Ti means the "biggest" chip cut down a little, and as long as there no info stating otherwise, i assume the xx90 to be a full/dual chip, and a ti would only be xx80 and lower.
    Look at the past 20y of Nv cards, top chip usually not being a ti but next higher number.
    E.g. Titan being a 2090.

Would also be in line with it having more vram (to really make use of the perf/gaming at 4k and up).
    I rather see a full chip as top gaming card, thus allowing for a xxti with maybe half the vram but just tiny amount of chip for much lower price.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  11. I did but you never bothered to read everything I actually wrote obviously. You’re taking things out of context & cherry picking what you want to suit your narrative of events and how you think what I say should suit however you interpret it instead of having an actual conversation. Like I said, echo chamber. You just like hearing yourself talk or want to sound smart trying to make someone else look wrong. Clearly I don’t take crap so just give up now while you’re ahead.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, YOU speak of R&D, i did not. Why? Simple. Because your whole bulletpoint is purely based off of an apples and oranges comparison only implying that r&d justifies the higher price which you don't agree the r&d should cost that much, or greed.

Just being even more clear here, read what you stated, stating a $1102 premium over a previous card, with zero reflection of production cost. This is what you said, this is what i replied to. Very, very clear.

So your reasonings are invalid while not even remotely looking at the costs differences.

This isnt rocket science on how to follow a conversation, shouldn't have had to explain any of this.

Your comparison is BS, simple as that. Just because you didnt pay attention to how cheap a 7950 gx2 was able to be made doesn't magically make your comparison any better.

Now, if you wanna go and find a comparison of a dual GPU with GPU die size the same or similar of what is expected of a 3090, and compare the prices of what is expected if this is a dual gpu, by all means, whatever the price differencs is you can try to attribute to R&D. Until then, your comparison holds no ground, it literally means nothing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  13. You are arguing that the production cost of current gen is over 1K per card on avg? That is for all of those units sold? That’s already having had factored inflation. Because if you aren’t arguing that, then what the frack are you talking about in the first place?

EDIT: @Aura89 Listen, all my point was this - over a period of time here is the difference of cost not why but possibilities. You went and took it sideways (you honestly did) you did overreact a little and get a bit whiny about it being all triggered acting like I am ignoring the technology of the fabrication process of the chip, the architecture behind it. Well, I am. I intended to as that was never the point - duh. Jesus Christ you are stupid.

I bet if I compared tits to ass you'd bitch about that too...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2020
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

:cool: Told ya, no secondary chip

alanm likes this.

15. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    Nvidia can go to hell

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No no, this is perfectly reasonable

#inflation, #r&d, #Titan, #normal, #itsok, #apples, #oranges, #pears

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    If the 3070 is $500 then my current card will be gone and replaced a lot quicker than planned.