Rumor: GeForce RTX 3090 Now Would Cost 1399 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2020.

1. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    3090 is the gaming TITAN, or a real ex-prosumer gaming card. Not like titan RTX(Turing) which had some negatives compared to 2080ti and minimal differences in gaming scenarios. 3080ti will not be close in performance sometime in 2021. It will sit really between 3080 and 3090, as there will be no 3080 super this time around. Question is which GPU will be placed above 3090 this time. Will it be a 3090ti or just TITAN RTX (Ampere)? This will get 32 GB vram configuration (40 and 48 are reserved for quadros).

2. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    So close now...just trim about $1000 more off and I might consider it.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In general i want to agree with this but when it comes to vram requirements, more ram now, has almost never mattered in the future, because the gpu itself was the main factor in performance. There are 4gb and 8gb cards and various other cards with different ram amounts but same GPU and ram speed, and the 8gb cards have continued to show little difference compared to the 4gb cards, with few exceptions.

Example: radeon vii isnt magically going to become faster then a 2080 or ti, even though as you call it, it is "better future proof'

For instance, if big navi has 16gb of ram, and performs less then a 3080, and the 3080 has less ram, and they cost similar...to buy the big navi simply because you hope that in the future it will perform better, doesn't make sense.....

Buy what the performance says, not what the ram amount is.

itpro likes this.
  4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is pathetic. Nvidia announced a 68% profit margin for last quarter. There are price increases for materials but they don't excuse all this bullshit with the pricing.

I see a lot of people just riding it out with a PS5, I might be one of them.

moo100times likes this.

5. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    Why the price is (too) high, I don't get the argument that 16+ GB of RAM should be too much. That games don't utilize that much memory right now is irrelevant. They don't do so, due to the console RAM limitations of 8GB of the PS4, which then sets the bar. With PS5 and XSX both having 16GB of RAM, the majority of which will be used on the graphics budget, I can only see larger RAM configurations on next generation graphics cards being necessary. Note that when PS4 and XBOX One came out, RAM amounts on graphics cards also instantly leaped from 4 to 8GB from one generation to the next. Just like that. A graphics card with 12GB isn't a good long term investment. You need 16GB. Or more, if you want to run high-end PC settings with better quality assets than what will be used on PS5 and XSX. That GDDR6X makes that much too expensive right now, doesn't change that. It just makes it suck a lot.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Re the vram, 3080 10gb is likely to have a 20gb variant (offered by AIBs). Similarly with the 3070 8gb-16gb. Regardless if the more vram is required or not, its good marketing to include it. With Ampere, the vram debate will finally be clarified. We will be able to compare performance between the lesser and higher vram versions on the same cards. It was annoying to see ppl comparing different architectures and tiers with lesser or higher vram and blaming the vram for a GPUs weakness. Now we will finally know.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You forget the xbox one series x and ps5 ram you have stated are total system memory...not just vram.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Holy crap.... and here I thought you were pretty down to earth. When did you become an elitist?
    Seriously... Some people get offended way too easily. That's the current trend these days. Getting offended by everything, even when common sense says they shouldn't.

I'm not the intended market for this particular card, so I'm not going to sit here and whine about its price. I will say I think the rumored price(s) is absurd and I hope reality is different from the rumors. This is a luxury product and will be priced accordingly. At least NVidia hasn't caught up to the pricing of the "high-end audiophile" market yet.....

Loophole35 likes this.
  9. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah, but graphics make up the vast majority of a game's memory usage. AI code requires lots of processing power, but usually little memory, etc. It's graphics assets which takes up space. Like 90%+. Take Battlefield V on PC. It takes up around 10.4-10.8GB of system memory, while VRAM usage is around 9.7GB (if available). Now, on a PC, games keeps a copy of the VRAM buffer in system RAM at all times. This means that the non-graphics parts of Battlefield V, takes up between 700-1.1GB of memory. And that's including other media files like sound. Other games has a lower VRAM footprint, to be more compatible with smaller VRAM buffers (graphics cards with less VRAM). But they still keep all the current graphics assets of the game in system RAM, so they can stream them in quickly to the VRAM buffer when required. This is of course slower than simply having the assets in the VRAM buffer. So it depends on the type of graphics you'd want to display. The bottom line is however, that you'll need more than 12GB for next gen console titles, if you want to say at least on par with their graphics fidelity on PC.

10. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Yet this is a console low-mid power APU and not high power dGPU, we need first to consider this also.

11. DevinRex

DevinRex New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I'll wait for a price decrease. A 25% increase in performance doesn't seem to be enough for me to justify the price... Especially in the middle of a pandemic.
    Looks like it's Xbox Series X for me. the 2080 super in that system will have to do for now..

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    While i understand that a game won't use as much system ram as vram, usually, and that fast SSDs should alleviate some of the useage, if programmed to do so, and that the game systems are morw well "optimized" for pure gaming, you still arent taking into consideration the OS.

Xbox series x for example reserves 2.5gb for system

Just even looking at the specs, and its intention:

10GB high speed ram for VRAM useage
    3.5GB lower speed ram for game useage (system memory effectively)
    2.5 lower speed locked off for OS.

So at best, per the xbox one x, and assume its the same for the ps5 since even though they dont (i believe) have different speed ram or "technically' locked off memory for the OS, games should be using the ram in the same capacity, for non-exclusives anyways.

13. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    Nah, consoles generally use what's available. As titles are optimized on a per-platform basis. It's easy to see difference between the higher quality assets of the 12GB XBOX One X, compared to the 8GB PS4 Pro, when seen side by side etc. PS5 has its whole memory at full speed. If functioning similar to PS4 OS, around 13GB og memory will be available to games. As audio and AI data likely won't take up more memory (if we assume that they combined take up about 1GB), that's a tripling of the VRAM available from PS4 Pro to PS5. 12GB in total. Now, as I mentioned above, Battlefield 5, which has 5GB of memory available on the PS4 Pro, of which 4GB can be expected to be VRAM, already uses just shy of 10GB of VRAM on its high quality settings on PC. Meaning that high quality settings on PC for a game that on PS5 uses 12GB of VRAM, will take up way more than that on PC, for said high quality settings.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    lol yes, very. I've had a long day too with a continuous headache, so it's probably best I shut up for the night regardless of what his intention was.

15. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    If the RTX 3090 is $1400, then it would stand to reason that the 3080 will be $900 to $1000 and the 3070 will be $700, based on price proportions of the RTX 2000 series (the RTX 2070 was half the price of the RTX 2080Ti). NVidia has enjoyed lack of competition for the past couple of years, and I'm hoping Big Navi becomes a welcoming disruption.

16. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    I take these prices as an indication that it won't be.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    price this this rumor say isnt any better then last bother way to much

switch to console gaming only is looking to be come more likely for me

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Remember these prices are rumored. The same goes for the specs.

19. Toreslee

Toreslee New Member

GPU:
    2080Ti Gaming X tri
    if the 3090 is under 1800USD i will take two please. My intel 10900k CPU is patiently waiting.

20. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    by "bullshit" im assuming you mean superior GPU/perf/watt/drivers/features?

insp1re2600 likes this.