Rumor: GeForce RTX 3090 Now Would Cost 1399 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2020.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I would be "happy" with rtx 3080 and silly 10gb vram for 650-700€, thats also the max max I would ever pay for a gpu. Rest is just too much

Venix, pharma and alanm like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Exactly, in a year or two a 3080 will be beaten by 'low /mid-range' 4060 and will struggle at times.
    If i got £1000 spare i'm taking a well deserved holiday.

3. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX, 24GB
    I will be very surprised if the 3090 comes with 24GB. Currently, they have two cards with 24GB - the Titan RTX and the Quadro 8000. The former costs 2500 and latter over 5K. I think the 3090 will have models with 12 and 16GB.

As for price, I am really not sure. I think they might sell the 3090 at a sky-high price and call it their "Unobtainium" model. They probably think there are enough people who would buy it that they can do that binning. They will likely have lesser models with disproportionately lower prices. A lot depends on how good AMD's next card is. I hope it is really, really good and helps to restore some sanity to video card prices.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    It can only come in 12 or 24gb due to the 384-bit bus width. Its why I think there will be a 12gb 3080ti to follow. They are doing the 24gb because AMD will be 16gb.

5. suty455

suty455 Active Member

GPU:
    nvidia

My own thoughts are that AMD may just have something very special to come at release at least I hope so I really want to return to team red I find Nvidias software a pain in the ass as it keeps defaulting the sound on my Living room pc

Fediuld likes this.
  6. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    If you are not able to realize how offensive the limitation of access to hardware is in 2020, due to uncontrolled shareholder greed, I am not going to teach you. Be happy with your elitist opinion.

7. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    That is completely unreasonable of you to assert. We're talking halo product here, not basic internet access or even essential game rendering. This card is MEANT to be elitist by it's very nature, your offense is misplaced. There is no deception going on, no under the table trickery. It's a BIG beefy GPU with a crap ton of vram. It costs and arm and a leg, but is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY to gaming...

Your point is moot. This has nothing to do with "limitation of access to hardware in 2020" and everything to do with you thinking the 3090 is Sour Grapes. I assume you bash Lambos and Ferrari as well, because you can't access 160 mph... WHATEVER!

Edit - Fact, there is NO game on the market today that you cannot play with an existing reasonably priced GPU. The fact that the newest GPU coming out costs STUPID amounts of money is irrelevant to your ability to game from home during the pandemic, aka relevance to 2020 access. A basic RTX 2070 net tons of performance and some ray tracing. Don't want ray tracing? Fine, plenty to chose from cheap. Quit bashing the high end just because it's out of your reach. It's not pleasant at all.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    sykozis and schmidtbag like this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Of all the years I've been on these forums, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard from someone who wasn't trolling.
    When people are getting sick and struggling to pay their bills, do you seriously think they should be spending their money on a gaming PC?
    "Hurr durr Nvidia should make it cheap so everyone who can't even pay rent can at least play games in 4K with ultra settings!"
    You aren't obligated to play games. Nvidia isn't a charity. Even without a pandemic and its consequences, there are more important things to worry about than whether you can afford the fanciest gadget on the market. Seriously, grow up. Luxuries are a privilege, not a right, and yes, the 3090 is a luxury, because you can pay 10% of the rumored 3090 price and still have an enjoyable gaming experience. That's not me being elitist, you're just being whiny. The best PC I own has a 1500X and an R9 290, and yet, I consider myself privileged because even though I can't afford a 3090, I do still have a job and I'm not in a high-risk area for infection.

Oh and speaking of infections: your comment earlier about us being in the "worst health crisis in history" is overwhelmingly false. Ever heard of the Spanish Flu? Or the Bubonic Plague? Or malaria? Any of those had more deaths than COVID has had infections (including asymptomatic people and estimations of untested people), and the first two examples were both at a time when the world had a much smaller population, and, when travelling between countries was not so fast or easily accessible.

moo100times, pharma, Venix and 3 others like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yeah, not a mainstream product, a luxury one for sure. You want outrageous, check out the high end audiophile community and look at DACs for $40,000.

sykozis and Tyrchlis like this.
  10. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    Well said overall. Tad harsher than I am coming from as I do see some need for a market of reasonably priced gaming hardware during these difficult and home trapped times. And I see that as perfectly healthy. This launch is meaningless to that need, it's covered already. But you are absolutely right about the point on luxury gaming. Neither Nvidia nor AMD owe the value market anything from the high end at all, they have products already aligned at that stack and there are a ton of Radeon 5000 series to fit almost any gamers needs.

I'm one of those people struggling to get bills paid. My family is not rich by any stretch. I drive a VW fer christ sakes. When the rumors pointed to this card spiraling upwards to 2K, I was SWEATING it, but dug DEEP to find reserves from the bills to make this happen. This IS a luxury, and I am damned well treating myself! Greedy shareholders??? What kind of nebulous argument was that even? Did he mean the people invested in making it possible for Nvidia to innovate with new GPU generations of this magnitude, 'cause seems to me they kinda deserve to make a bit 'o profit from a halo launch of this sort.

Lastly, I take COVID-19 deadly seriously, and it's POTENTIAL to rank in historic plagues for sure, I have zero doubt of that. But yes, you are right, it has NOT hit Black Death levels or even close yet when considering population density differential. The percentage of population that died from that alone was staggering. This could eclipse it in time for sure, but we ain't there (percentage wise) yet and CAN prevent it if people act reasonably with safety precautions like masks and distancing, and in my family's case, staying home all together until this is over. Work from home rules...

Edit: And is exactly the reason I intend to treat myself with this card... Being stuck at home and middle class, will be nice to have something kinda elite for a bit again.

moo100times and HARDRESET like this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Um....lol so anything in life you are unwilling to or unable to pay for is offensive to you?

You act like, if this card is $1400, it's the only card that will be released.

No one owes you anything. Stop using the word offensive, you don't know how to use it.

sykozis likes this.
  12. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Personally I am waiting for official confirmation on what models of the 3000 series are going to be sli enabled (if any). If they support sli and have a working viable non-buggy profile for FS2020 then I am in for two. I just need to decide whether I will be going with one 38" 8k screen or go panoramic with 3 27" 4k screens. IF Amd supports crossfire on their next generation then they may get my money instead of nvidia. They have really impressed me with the Ryzen chips; if they can translate that to their gpus then I will chose to support team red for my next purchase.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I would rather buy a Navi card with 12-16gb vram for that 700Eur. AMD really needs to put the presure on these new rtx cards otherwise its all over.

moo100times and -Tj- like this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Absolutely, and I think it's perfectly fair to dislike the prices; I do as well. As for the harshness, I don't take kindly to accusations. I'm all for a friendly debate but once you start challenging my intelligence or morality, I'm not going to just let it slide.
    More power to you. I can't say I'd make the same decision (I personally refuse to spend more money on 1 component than the rest of my PC combined), but if this is what you want then you do you.
    I 100% agree. Even if COVID-19 were to suddenly stop infecting people today, it would still be in history books. I do take it seriously and I wish more people would too. But despite the population density and its ease of spreading, I don't think it will ever be as devastating on people's well-being as any of the other 3 I mentioned, regardless of whether you're comparing proportionately or not.
    He also mentioned the world being in the worst economic situation in history too, and although I don't think that's true either, I think it could be true soon.

moo100times likes this.
  15. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Same answer:

You definitely didn't understand what I said, but that's okay, a lot of people use consumerism as a form of self-assertion and don't realize it.
    But I explain my opinion: It was a long time ago that Intel, Apple and NVIDIA adopted the posture "SELL LITTLE AND PROFIT A LOT", and I believe that the correct thing would be "SELL A LOT, PROFIT LESS". I don't just think about myself, I also think about others, who are the majority. It would be a way to democratize technology, but what exists is a group of shareholders that, however big the previous year's profit, is never enough.
    But as long as there are consumers addicted to looking at the world from the top, nothing will change.
    Morally and ethically, we are very different, make sure of that.
    And do you know who is to blame for the health tragedy in my country? Ultraconservatives. Any resemblance to the USA is no coincidence.

16. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    This is like dat picture sameone posted here when rtx 2000 comes out.
    I was called when you get in nvidia van and there is no candy. :D

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    We're talking about high-end gaming hardware here. It's really not a big deal if people can afford it or not, because that becomes Nvidia's problem. At least innovation is actually happening, even in today's climate. The prices are annoying and a disappointment but the thing about consumerism is you're supposed to speak with your wallet, as opposed to suggesting the cost of a luxury is an ethical dilemma.
    Except that's not how it works. They sell a lot and profit a lot. That's how supply and demand works. When something doesn't sell well, you lower the price. The thing is, you can only lower the price so much until it isn't sustainable. That's why some of AMD's GPUs based on HBM(2) were so expensive despite the fact they didn't really have the performance to warrant the price.
    The profit margins are thinner than you think. Enthusiast-grade hardware has a luxury tax attached to it. Again, nobody is forcing you to buy a 3090 just because you demand pretty graphics. There are affordable GPUs out there that can give you a good experience.
    No, you're looking at people in the same boat as you, which is people with limited income in a country with a steep VAT. You aren't looking at this in the perspective of how economics works. The world ain't sunshine and rainbows - it never was and it never will be. We can all do our part to make it better, but demanding cheaper high-end gaming hardware is not the right place to start. Nobody needs a 3090, and the sooner we all realize desire is the driving force of pricing, the sooner Nvidia will lower their prices.
    No argument there haha.

moo100times and Tyrchlis like this.
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I would get navi too, I would have thought about Vega as well, or Fury before that.
    They always looked good on paper, I even defended them, but in reality each one turned out to be meh and hot as well..

I hope new big Navi really delivers, it would be about time.

Loophole35 and Undying like this.
  19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'd rather not base my purchasing on an arbitrary thing such as ram amount, rather based on actual performance at the resolution i game at.

Again...you're talking as though this card at the rumored price will be the only gpu available.

All brands have high end products, medium end products and low end products. To expect any differently, doesn't make sense. And to tell a company they can't go all out and make very expensive products, because it's "offensive", because its "unreachable", etc. Is foolish.

No one owes you anything, and you have options.

Maddness and alanm like this.
  20. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX580
    Simply beautiful; I don't suppose you have a list of the mods used?