Rumor: GeForce RTX 3090 Now Would Cost 1399 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2020.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I don't think Nvidia fully knows how much they are alienating majority of their consumer base with these prices IF TRUE!

1080Ti was £700-£800 on released and is still to this day a very very strong GPU even with the 2000 series here. Going from the 780Ti to the 980Ti was a big jump, going from the 980Ti to the 1080 was huge jump, going from the 1080 to the Ti wasn't massive but it cost me next to nothing to upgrade (around £80 after selling my 1080).

If AMD doesn't bring something competitive at a good price and pull a ryzen class product and a ryzen priced product out of their GPU division then we are screwed and these prices will stay here for a long time to come as there are always people that will pay for them.

Maddness likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Looks like the most of you fail to consider that the new $500 consoles have the equivalent GPU power to a 2080 Ti...
    And 16 GB of very fast GDDR6 memory.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that NV can charge more than Turing on the new series, unless they intentionally want to sell almost nothing.

3. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Thankfully we are not experiencing the worst economic and health crisis in history.

Maddness, HandR and wavetrex like this.
  4. Sylencer

Sylencer Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Asus Strix OC
    It's not boosting very well. My core clock basically sits all time at base clock. If it boosts then not for long. I can't even get my firestrike benchmark score from march again lately. Not even close, about 500-600 score off.
    Afterburner doesn't let me handle my 3 fans just "one" which takes care of the outer 2 but not the inner fan. Asus Gpu Tweak let's me handle all 3 fans since it's their gpu im using but the RGB keeps spazzing out when i use it - even if turned off it blinks and crap from time to time. I can feel it degrading over the past months although i keep my pc very clean (OS and dust wise). I don't think that i will buy an ASUS card again.

And if you ask. Yes i clean installed OS (2004) and along with the driver, i even DDU'ed the previous drivers since i had some issues with cod warzone crashing on me. It's not the OS, maybe the recent drivers nvidia is pushing or the gpu itself.

It'll be a tough choice to do when deciding which vendor i buy my gpu from. 3090 or 3080ti (depending on which is "better" - pure stats wise).

I thought it was smart to buy the expensive ones when building my current pc last year but again i had some wrong decisions made with it, which i realized some months later.

5. Most likely $1099.99 - $1199.99

EDIT: Too bad we can't hold a raffle for whoever guesses the price.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Y'know people.... you don't have to buy it. Chances are, most of you weren't going to anyway, so why do you care what the price is?

This price point doesn't surprise me. Only now has Nvidia made a 90 series for the first time in years, and it's an easy excuse to artificially increase the price for a product that likely would have been the 3080 Ti.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    There seems to exist a market big enough for consoles and super expensive GPUs so i don´t know if this is going to make a difference...

8. [​IMG]

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  9. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    The price is offensive.
    Humans like to complain when faced with offensive situations.
    It is common sense manifesting itself in its most beautiful forms: empathy and freedom to speak.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    The problem with this kind of price is that it pushes the rest of the lower cards prices up... A perfect example is the xx70 cards that used to be around 300€ and now they are around 500€... We need to wait for AMD before jumping into Nvidia with this kind of silly prices...

olymind1 and carnivore like this.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Call me sceptical, but, I think that's bs. The devs for the Epic demo that was recently released already said RTX2070 could do it with higher fps. So, no, I don't think PS5 is anywhere near RTX2080ti. That comparison is for the desktop cards, not consoles.

Maddness and Solfaur like this.
  12. karma777police

karma777police Master Guru

GPU:
    No thanks...staying with 1080 ti

13. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti SC2
    The AMD methodology allows for them to largely use the same silicon and flip between textures and Ray Tracing. So the numbers MS published are when the chip is being used purely for Ray Tracing. Typical game would use it half and half, which will cut it down to ~100.

On the other side, nVidia methodology requires dedicated Texture and dedicated raytracing units, which requires a bit more silicon for the same performance, but in theory works just as well.

Based on this, I think AMD's solution for similar amount of Ray Tracing performance and texture performance happening at the same time, is a bit cheaper on production cost with a little higher processing cost. Neither approach is clearly better than the others, but AMD chips might slightly edge nVidia chips at raytracing for the same die size (considering they use the same process node) or money spent.

Again, this is just my understanding of AMD's BVH patent, and there is a chance that my understanding is a bit off, because I am an engineer but not a graphics expert.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  14. Hulk12

Hulk12 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti SC+
    ALERT!

We're worried our GTX 980 series or GTX 1080 series may be risk to leave to the "death" under months or next 1 or 2 year(s) for very old, if the warranty already is expired.

My EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ is still working for almost 50 months (4 years). :D But it will die in this or next year. :(

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I would not be surprised if we see a cut down version of the 3090 with 12gb later down the road. To be called the 3080ti and at $300 less.

16. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    I just read through this thread and am put in mind of Aesop's Fables story of the Fox and the Grapes. For those too young or just robbed of the experience of these stories, I will borrow from the Library of Congress link to public access content and share this tale with you...

-- A Fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine trained along the branches of a tree. The grapes seemed ready to burst with juice, and the Fox's mouth watered as he gazed longingly at them.

The bunch hung from a high branch, and the Fox had to jump for it. The first time he jumped he missed it by a long way. So he walked off a short distance and took a running leap at it, only to fall short once more. Again and again he tried, but in vain.

Now he sat down and looked at the grapes in disgust.

"What a fool I am," he said. "Here I am wearing myself out to get a bunch of sour grapes that are not worth gaping for."

And off he walked very, very scornfully. --

And so, the poor Fox wanders off, making excuses to itself how those grapes that were just out of reach must have just not been worth it. Sounds RIDICULOUSLY familiar to the sentiments I see in this thread from supposed GPU enthusiasts.

Moral of the story - Just because YOU can't afford the new RTX 3090 doesn't change the price Nvidia sets for it. What YOU think it's worth or not is irrelevant as they will sell them out like hotcakes whether you like it or not and I, for one, WILL be one of those snagging one the INSTANT they go on pre-order.

This Fox is gonna scale that damned tree and WILL have those juicy, delicious, grapes and savor them while the rest of the poor foxes grumble about what a fool they think I am for climbing trees to get the grapes. Evolve or fall behind, lemmings.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    How is it offensive? I could see arguments for it being stupid, too high, absurd, anti-consumer, and whole bunch of other negative adjectives, but offensive? No, it's not offensive - you are choosing to be offended by it. Nobody looks at a Ferrari's price tag and calls it offensive. If you want the best (whether it actually is the best or not) you have to pay for it. If you don't like it, fine - don't buy it. Nvidia owes you nothing.
    EDIT:
    Nvidia already got the hint from the RTX 2000 series that people were not willing to pay extra for ray tracing. They didn't really respond well to it (because Huang has too much of an ego) but they're aware that their potential customers aren't happy with the pricing.
    With next-gen consoles around the corner, Nvidia will be losing a lot of sales because people would rather pay half the price for the same gaming experience. AMD doesn't care; they're making money in both markets.

Traditionally, that has never been the case. Nvidia's mid-range GPUs have always been priced adequately, because that's where AMD comes in as the more competitive option. The moment we should start worrying is if both of them agree to artificially increase the price, like what happened during 2017-2018 with DDR4.
    EDIT:
    Even Nvidia's 1070 and 2070 have had an edge over AMD, so, Nvidia priced it accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Tyrchlis likes this.
  18. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    Here is what this fox sees looking at the RTX 3090 bunch of grapes...

Juicy = 5234 shader units, probable 2x minimum RT performance of Turing

Delicious = 24Gb of GDDR6X@21gbs resulting in a possible 1008 gbs, aka 1tbs.

Smorgasbord = More vram that I will ever be able to use, and insanely fast!

I swear if I need to tie cleats to my paws to climb that tree and snag these grapes, I will do so! Setting aside 2K in case this thing turned out with Titan pricing will likely pay off in the actual thing costing less than I reserved for it. GREAT! More bills get paid on time instead of late... But I will have a grape covered face of ray traced yummy gaming for the next however long I decide to stick it out on this card. Worth the current rumored $1499 for FE? Damned straight it is, to me.

This was logical. 100% agreed, well said.

19. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Thank god for consul Gaming and Used video cards lol. I can buy a used car for that Money. :)

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    So many rumors :/ , i will wait for official pricing as the rumor mill keeps going. New day = new pricing lol

sykozis likes this.