Rumor: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB gddr5x based on Pascal GPU in May

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah, always good read from Denial. People can actually learn something from him.

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I love reading these previous/current vs next gen threads with every (near)release of new GPU's(e.g same happend with 580, 680, 780, 980 etc releases).

Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy them and I kinda came to expect them with each (near)release! :D

Personally I'm more than happy with my Ti(even if I can't play maxxed out AC:S@2xMSAA@1440p@60FPS) and it would be a real shame to let it go since it also has a sentimental value too.

But I'm too eager to see the offerings from both sides. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

I just had to upgrade to Strix Ti SLI from my 980sli as one of my cards were crapping out so I will wait for the big daddy pascal or next.

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yes, Undying indeed has a point.

What bothers me is that we don't know the reason for this. It could be AMD having difficulty with drivers in the past, or maybe Nvidia designed the 600 and 700 architectures more conservatively.
    Maxwell too. People are doubting if it can even do async and with good reason.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Commom mistake.

AMD number nomenclature for rebrands is a little confuse because is doesn't follow a consistent pattern from one series to next one.

390(x) are 290(x) rebranded GPUs with double VRAM as default but 380 is 285 rebranded with double VRAM...not 280x.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  6. TBPH

TBPH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 3.5+.5GB
    I got my eye on the 7+1GB GTX 1070!

7. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    The original article over at bench life neglected a fact search regarding GDDR5X production, and most sites jumped on it taking it on as fact; which regrettably is all too common these days. GDDR5 is what I expect - if May is correct to begin with... I can't recall release schedules but have they ever released something in May?

I think the interesting card will be the Ti version which we might not see until 2017. Personally, I'm saving up for a GTX 980 Ti CLASSIFIED, skipping the first Pascal iteration until its Ti part is released - unless my time of purchase coincides with the first iteration and is the better card price/performance wise. But a single 8-pin... Ugh! I'd like more for nicer overclocks, which where custom PCB comes in.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I might be laying my eyes on the 1080 rather than the 1070 depending on how Nvidia makes the 1070 with Vram partition or without.

9. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    After all the flak they took for it they won't be doing that design again.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you never know, they might stranger and stupider things have happened

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true. However I don't think Nvidia is that stupid though.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont under estimate the power of greed and cutting corners. even with all the flak they took for it the card still sold like hot cakes.

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I can't see them launching a Pascal card with lowly GDDR5, that's not gonna be enough bandwidth for these new & powerful cards - GDDR5x is double the bandwidth and will be a good fit for an architecture (Pascal) that has twice the performance per Watt of Maxwell, the memory bandwidth has surely got to scale with that performance increase of the core.

I think it's a bad time to buy a 980ti because a new architecture is about to be released and you'll be behind the curve so to speak. If you're ok with the performance level of the 980ti for a good amount of time, then might be worth buying one second hand when the Pascal cards come out - likely to be a flood of 980ti's on the market then, better value. And afterall your 970 isn't that bad and a 980ti isn't a titanic leap of performance in comparison (good chunk faster, but not titanic!). I'm just talking from a value perspective, but if that's not much of a concern then just get the best you can get right now. (I guesstimated earlier that 1080 might be about 35% faster than 980ti, if that's the case then an overclocked 1080 with a custom cooler could be an even BETTER investment.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  14. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Since GDDR5X won't be here before summer there's no way they can release a card with it come May.

My 970 isn't enough for 1440p by a long shot! It's pretty horrible in fact. And sure, there's always something around the corner and that's why I'll see what's out when I have notes together. We don't even know if there'll be a new card his May. They my announce it with a June availability, but I need performance now, not six months from now, and I'm more than happy to skip the first Pascal and wait for the true part, the Ti (2017 I'd say).

35% faster? That won't happen. 10% at best, I'd say and that's a generous number.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    i[​IMG]

I would say IF the 1080((should Nvidia use this naming scheme) is ANY faster than a 980Ti it would be in the 15-20% region stock vs stock.

And as a bonus I would say 1080Ti approximately 50% stock vs stock.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, it is for sure a guessing game, a slightly educated one, but guessing nonetheless! Will be interesting to see what happens over the next months. I still think that anyone in the market for a 980ti now would have been better off getting one sometime relatively soon after they came out (perhaps after any price drop, if there's been one!?) - that way they would have enjoyed new tech for longer. I think I'd always buy the first iteration of an architecture - I think you end up enjoying the increased performance earlier & for longer in total, that's where the biggest jumps in performance are seen.

17. TBPH

TBPH Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 3.5+.5GB
    Not to mention the "planned obsolescence" driver support once Pascal hits.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This is getting old

19. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    There's something to be said for that of course. In my case I picked a 970 because it was affordable, but got a 1440p monitor before getting a card that could better handle it.

GDDR5 is what I expect on the first iteration of Pascal - if May is correct to begin with... I'm more leaning towards summer at the bare minimum and that May is either bs or a paper launch/announcement. With a Ti following suit in 2017 - which gives me about over a year to enjoy a Maxwell Ti ;) Financially I can't jump onto every release as I please so I have to consider things and think ahead as good as I can.

Since these are my expectations would you hold off playing your games until Pascal pops up and without having an idea of what pops up and when? For all we know it's low(er)-end first (x60). Just look at the GTX 980 Ti owners thread here and on the UK Overclockers forum; they're still picked up readily.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  20. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    My Titan X is crying right aboot now. So it my wallet. I kinda wish I bought two 980Ti's instead. :-(