Rumor: Ampere based GeForce RTX 3000 series might arrive earlier than expected

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2020.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    ^The 5700XT currently has no competition at anywhere close to the same price.

Maddness likes this.
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I miss the times were 400 bucks were high-range...

Maddness and Undying like this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    connery.gif

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am hoping to get a 3060/3070 if the price is right. Because any of those two cards will be an upgrade over my 1070.

IDSG89 and geogan like this.

5. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti
    Well, I for one am really stoked for this launch. I sat on my 1080 Ti throughout the Turing generation, not feeling the uplift of Pascal to Turning being worth giving up a perfectly wicked 1080 Ti. RTX 3080 Ti looks like it will be a more than sufficient replacement for my baby. The 1080 Ti has served me really well, but I want ray racing and not experimental levels of it. I want to turn it on in games and it not impact frame rate, or at worst impact it minimally like AA might.

I do worry a bit that the 3080 Ti will be a bit of overkill for my 1440p@165hz monitor, at least at first, but I do plan on sitting on this card for at least 2 generations so it will grow into this resolution as games become more intense I suspect, thanks to the new consoles. Additionally, at 1440p@165hz, I should be able to just turn all the graphics settings to max in everything and just forget about it :p

Lots of growing room. I'm also kinda excited about the look of the Founders Edition rumored appearance, hoping that's how they end up looking.

Maddness likes this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Prices fluctuate, but, still not a thing

[​IMG]

Or do we want to not talk about inflation and talk about how we miss when we could get candy for a nickle?

PlatinumPanther likes this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Member

GPU:
    gt 1030
    I'm hoping 4k gaming with a 3070 will be a good option to look to, there's real nice 4k monitor /tele deals out there now.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    We can also talkt that in most wester contries the wages did not rise same as inflation... But 400 bucks cannot be a low-mid range GPU.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Got a 3060 in mind, but will wait for reviews ofcourse.

1070 user as well.

Fender178 likes this.
  10. robintson

robintson Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Completely agree with you. Cheap VGA card, that is hard to happen anytime soon :)

11. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Well, still cant come soon enough.
    It feels like decades have been paased since i read an exciting GPU Benchmark here in Guru3D. So, for the sake of our pleasure (benchmark-reading-community-never-buying-high-end-stuff) , plz Ampere come soon enough

12. DannyD

DannyD Member

GPU:
    gt 1030
    I got out the pc scene just after all the mining craze kicked off and had a great time with the switch and ps4.
    Now the new consoles are about here i'm expecting some great gaming times ahead, just put together my first bulid for years and all i need now is an ampere lol. (will pick up a mid-range to keep me going till then, though this 1030 is doing great at 1080)

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    What? You saying AMD got lazy with the 5700XT and didn't work hard enough?

This was a new architecture, and on a new node. You also have to look at the position of AMD's graphics division during this time. They were not in a great position and couldn't afford to create a huge die GPU to compete with Nvidia it simply wasn't feasible for them at the time. They were also getting around the new architecture and still learning the new node which had to be completely changed from the previous Radeon VII which was still based on VEGA.

AMD needed to gain some cash and the main way to gain cash in this market is the mid to low end segment, so around the 2060/2070 and below. And this is what they did, they targeted the most profitable area and brought a great GPU to market at a good price. This is what the company needed to do, and whilst they did this you don't think another team was already working on RDNA2 and a much bigger GPU? Using those funds from Ryzen and RDNA1.

Now all we have to do is cross our fingers and hope to god that AMD can bring us a Ryzen level of distruption in the GPU space. I would love for AMD to either match or slightly beat Nvidia with Ampere (3080Ti) but priced very aggressively for then Nvidia to scramble and drop prices. We need a war, its been too long and with new consoles coming with some pretty high end specs we all need a good bump in overall performance.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Seriously anyone looking for a CHEAP vga is likely on 1080@60. You can literally get that for $125-150 now. This idea that the lower priced cards can’t keep up is getting old.

PlatinumPanther likes this.
  15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I finished Doom 2016 with a Steam controller and I'm never going back :D

Also for older games, or even cross-platform games. If you are willing to spend, you will get a superior experience.

It doesn't work this way. If anything, the new games will be on the same size for much better looking assets, or smaller.
    The reason Unreal works is that you only need one copy of the asset. You don't need multiple LODs for textures, you don't need multiple copies of each texture, you don't need multiple shadowmaps, multiple 3d models.
    You give the engine the high quality assets, and it scales. Also ray traced and real-time lighting models in general, don't need the textures with baked lighting, which means even smaller sizes.
    This was also mentioned in the PS5 presentation. A scaling engine with really fast I/O actually needs less assets to work with.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    If you have in VRAM texture with size of 4096x4096 and object far away needing to cover just 12 pixels. How many of pixels from this large texture are you going to pull from VRAM into GPU to accurately represent object that would otherwise use something like 64x64 texture?

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    If you're at 1080/60Hz, anything beyond gtx 1060 is overkill at this point.

Loophole35 likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Witcher 3 from 5 years ago would like a word with your statement.

XenthorX likes this.
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Uh I dunno... it ran at 50s on my 290 @25x16 which is cca 20% slower than GTX 1060 6GB. Not maxed ofc, but with ~optimized settings.
    This would have been very playable with FreeSync, if it wasn't for damn stutter/dips. Which never got fixed.

Regardless, cranking settings up with older/budget card is silly.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    1060 runs W3 about same. Sure, 1060 can get 60fps at lower graphics preset. Or even 80fps on medium.