Rumor: AMD's Navi 21 GPU has 255 watts TGP and Boost up-to 2.4 GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    noyphh.jpg

PLEASE. BE. REAL

DeskStar, mohiuddin and Neo Cyrus like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is that the gpu teased in the Ryzen event or the real big navi. I think this is the higher clocked version meant to beat 3080 (hopefuly) :)

DeskStar and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Even IF the alleged 6900XT trades wins with the RTX3080, but priced more reasonably and, hopefully, more easily available, I'd snag it. My PC VEGA64 Red Devil, while a pretty good card, is getting kinda long in the tooth, and can do the native res of my Samsung 3840x1080 144Hz Freesync 2 monitor, the 6900XT would (crosses fingers) let me max out my games at my monitor's native res and still net >100fps.

DeskStar, tunejunky and Evildead666 like this.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    An clock speed increase from 1.9 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz, would be a huge jump. Especially considering that it's still on a 7nm process node.
    Seems a bit too good to be true. But here's hoping that it is, so AMD can better compete at the high end.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Okay if Big Chungus Navi is really clocked at 2.4GHz, has 80 CUs that give more performance each than the last gen, 16GB of GDDR6 with a new cache system that'll be enough to feed that core... how the hell could be what Lisa trolled us with be it? Either it's disastrous in terms of what it should deliver for the specs, falling just short of the 3080 in their own benches, or the biggest Navi is not what they showed us / these specs are faster than a 3080.

If that wasn't the fat Navi which they showed benches of... WHY? Why would they do that? Whatever they think it does to mess with nVidia probably backfired, people probably went out and placed orders for 3080s thinking Radeon group failed again. I know I almost did, and the only thing that held me back was double of the hardware quality combined with the absurd $1130 CAD price tag (13% tax) here... and a lingering doubt that what they showed was really the top card.

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    What are you basing the performance on? Hopefully not that terrible misleading graph. Only thing it had right was the game and the resolution.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The card which you have listed in your specs. You think over 2x that on paper, with a new caching system, and a clock speed of 2.4GHz should be slower than a 3080?

I wouldn't put it past Radeon group to have the ability to screw up so badly that they could light a bowl of cereal on fire by pouring milk into it, and Scott Herkelman is a liar, so it's possible that what they showed really is the biggest Navi. But based on what we know / not assuming the absolute worst, it shouldn't be.

9. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I dont trust any of the hype.
    Been here before and the sceptic in me says its all nonsense.
    [​IMG]

Undying and mohiuddin like this.
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well I wouldn’t do that kinda napkin math. It’s on a better process, a “different” architecture and scaling doesn’t work that way I think it will be within spitting distance at least but not by x2 my card as reference.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The napkin math is super conservative. In a worst case scenario even if it isn't faster per CU, which all accounts and common sense say it is, it should still outperform a 3080. Again, not saying Radeon didn't somehow screw things up to monumental levels and those benches aren't the biggest Navi, but that shouldn't be the case.

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    We can’t go on a 5 second clip of BL3 and our best guesses the high clocks are a good sign.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not going on anything anyone showed, just what I know of the architecture and what it's supposed to be compared to the 1st gen Navi / 5700XT based the supposed specs, most of which I know are real and don't need to listen to any leaker YT channel or anything. Frequency though, that I don't know. 10 days, 10 more days and we'll find out. I expected to be gaming on a 3080 right now but Jesen's trolling knows no bounds. I think his life goal is to have over 50% of the tech literate population of every country hate nVidia.

Icanium likes this.
  14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well this information definitely gets us a little closer as to what to expect anyway. What of course we really want are some actual performance numbers and I love laughing at AMD “graphs” I hope we don’t have to rely on those....

15. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    ive always used amd gpu's (only nvidea was 670 and nothing but issues) and pretty much every card release the drivers were fubar in one way or another. even if its equal to the 3080 guaranty the drivers will screw it all up for months to a year (look how long the black/green screen took to fix on the 5000"s)
    sad when you think about it. i dont update drivers untill i see they are ok

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Doubt it, the new Navi architecture isn't a galaxy apart from the old one and AMD are well of aware of the perception of their drivers. This time they're supposedly going "all out" according to those inside the company, I don't know what that means, but I'd be surprised if that didn't include non-crap release drivers.

And for the record, crappy drivers for months is still better than not having a card for months. Reports I hear still say there will not be good supply of the 3080s, especially outside of the US, until well into 2021.

I forgot to mention, this release of Navi 21 is pretty delayed... repeatedly delayed. So they've had extra time to work on the drivers as well. So if the drivers on launch suck, I'd be at a loss for words.

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Very busy with drivers. I hope they are super sorted for release.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    2.4GHz. Yes please.

DeskStar likes this.
  19. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    sounds like bs - big navi isnt as powerful as 3080 so amd is fighting it with fake rumors....

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The law of diminishing returns. This new generation of cards will also highlight the cpu bottleneck problem.

Anyway, still looks like a great offering from AMD. Now its all about supply.