Rumor: AMD to announce X670 Extreme, X670 and B650 Chipsets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    good move
    pcie4 is plenty
    but it needs to be cheaper than b660 that offers pcie5

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    On top of what you said, it also needs to be more power efficient than the 500 series boards. If a modern chipset runs potentially hot enough to need active cooling, I'm not interested.

FatBoyNL and Kaarme like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Let's hope X570 was the tuition fee needed to be paid to finally leave behind the PCIe 3 era. Let's not forget that in addition to the stupidly hot chipset, AMD did have other problems with PCIe 4: few people had ever heard of the WHEA error before Ryzen 3000 and X570 appeared. On the other hand Intel decided to drop the idea of PCIe 4 with the 10th gen entirely and postponed it to the 11th gen. So, it was a pretty rocky road, but I'd say it was still worth it because PCIe 3 was getting longer in the tooth than a horker.

FatBoyNL and schmidtbag like this.

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    sounds pretty extreme

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    ROFL people still cry about this? Seriously, my fan never turns on my revision 1.0 x570 TuF wifi.
    Did you skip on boards back when tons of 478, 775, 1366 or 2011 boards had active fans? Or this a piss on AMD thing since then did it.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I personally put a big arse passive Thermalright chipset cooler on a couple older boards. The upside is these days the fans only come on when needed. Back in the day these fans ran full out and sounded terrible. I have a big preference to passively cooled.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Have had my fan come on a couple of times, its set to only activate after 60 degC and that was following a huge couple of file transfers NVME to NVME, the only reason I knew it was on was because i saw it, in reality its pretty silent, sounds like an excuse to bash AMD to me

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Back in the day, when those fans were present in all mobos, some of us became too familiar with replacing them. Either by finding and acquiring a new compatible, miserable minuscule fan or preferably a larger third party heat sink. The fans, when they were nearing the end of their life, would produce a high-pitched screech. If it was a PC you didn't own but had to use, and it had the problem, it was even more annoying.

My Asus X570 Tuf Gaming has the chipset and consequently the fan unfortunately located so that the graphics card sits right on top of it, covering most of the fan. I'm not sure if the graphics card quite touches the chipset cooler's frame, maybe you could still push a piece of paper between them, but the gap isn't large by any means. Quite a location for a chipset that's known to get hot. I can only assume the engineers didn't have a choice due to the chipset being traditionally sitting in that general area and because the PCIe 4 signal quality requirement might not have allowed them much leeway in distancing it further from the CPU. Who knows.

I don't know why I wouldn't be allowed to criticise something I paid good money for?

tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Same here on my MSI X570 ACE. Have never ever heard it, only seen it running a few times during massive NVMe to NVMe transfers.

I even tried my best to get the little fan to spin up by playing Forza Horizon 5 (300 ish watts of GPU heat) and doing 100GB+ transfers with an ambient of 78F, but according to HWinfo64 it didn't go beyond 900RPM peak.

@Kaarme I do totally understand your stories about the little fans. I've been building PC's since Pentium 3 so I've also had my fair share of little fans that start to make grinding or shrieking noises. :eek: I still remember a ~$400 socket 775 DFI motherboard that had a tiny fan that would make terrible noises every winter.

tunejunky and Kaarme like this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    On a gigabyte x570 fan isnt even running when chipset temps are below 60c.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    My X570 Carbon Pro Wifi board has the chipset fan and it's practically inaudible - only time I ever hear it is on a full cold boot (as in after power has been disconnected and drained of any power) where it spins up at full speed for about 5 seconds and then settles down to idle.

I often wonder though, people that hear these fans, are they running their system without a case or with a side panel off or something? I can hear my hard drives and GPU fans more than the chipset fan.

I do understand though, the chipset fan is there for unusual workloads, such as having high performance SSDs in raid 0 operating at peak performance saturating the pcie4 links as an example.

Personally, I prefer having the chipset fan, it helps keep other parts of the motherboard cool and aids SSD cooling too. I remember having a 965P-DQ6 motherboard for my old Q6600, it had passive heatsinks and heatpipes for the VRMs, northbridge and southbridge and damn those got hot, as in you would actually burn yourself if you touched them hot... They really needed active cooling but gigabyte was so desperate to avoid the stigma associated with motherboard fans...

tunejunky likes this.
  13. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    it is a valid point of concern. wile there can be a couple reasons to swap mobo's or get another mobo "the chipset fan has a broken bearing and sounds like it's mixing gravel" is not a great reason.

and i personally did not skip boards with 478/775/1366 socket but then again i picked higher end boards with passive heatsync's to not have an active fan (yes i could have done that again this time....but i find my 330 euro board expensive enough to really have a passive heatsync and a damn heatpipe on there over a fan...i had 100 euro mobo's that did this with slabs of aluminum imagine if they used actual heatsync's....but in current times it was infact not expensive enough for a solution like that, i instead got a 40mm fan and a 4x1cm "rough" heatsync, only the 500+ boards had solutions like that >.> and then when the 2nd rev of X570 came out more cheaper boards....

it's just another point of failure that would ideally be avoided (there's plenty of important stuff that can go wrong, a fan that's difficult to replace is just not that welcome).

as for the actual fan behavior on the strix-E...i don't hear it so i can't tell if it turns off...i hope it does to save the motor/bearing and give it more longevity (i'd like to keep this system a couple of years) but every time i take the time to check up on it, it's spinning at 2200rpm+ i would have prefered instead of a fancy plate with a tiny heatsync and fan below it it was just a big 5x5x1-.5 whatever fits nice heatsync that would/could make use of whatever case airflow is available (i for example have 3 120 fans stradeling the bottom of my case right up to the mobo but...there is a plate blocking the airflow from those fan's from reaching the heatsync...wile they move about 10x the air of the little one >.> and i could remove the plate but ehr... what's below was clearly intended to be covered up by a plate...

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Good for you, I guess? Anecdotes mean nothing to me. The fact a fan was even considered is a step in the wrong direction.
    Most 478 and 775 boards I encountered were passively cooled, but back then active chipset cooling was acceptable. Why? Because it was normal; most things back then ran hotter than preferred, and most fans at the time were loud enough that a little chipset fan could typically get drowned out by the others. And yes, I did skip 1366 and 2011.
    Also, it's not just the noise, it's the added heat. Considering how boost clocks of modern CPUs are so sensitive to temperature, every additional watt of heat makes a difference. Chipsets are often not in optimal positions to be cooled by the natural airflow of a case, so they can contribute toward stagnant/ambient heat. This might be nitpicking, but dissipating 15W of heat into the ambient air or motherboard isn't insignificant. To put it into perspective, a Steam Deck uses roughly the same amount of power as the X570 alone. The Deck is no slouch, and much of that power is going toward things like the display, wifi, and storage. That's a lot of performance in 15W.
    Only you and your unwavering loyalty would see it that way. You've been around here long enough to know I'm not exactly fond of Intel. I haven't bought one of their desktop CPUs for myself since 478.
    So, I don't care who does it: an actively cooled chipset in a mainstream desktop PC these days is stupid. As Kaarme pointed out, it's great AMD managed to get us past PCIe 3.0, but I would not consider it an ideal execution. Don't let your favoritism blind you of this.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i switched to an x570s (Aero G) from x570 (Gaming Pro) because of the chipset fan. my M.2's are in RAID and i regularly transfer huge files so that little guy would spin right up... and out of every fan in my system the chipset fan was the worst quality (3 x 360mm rads w/ Scythe fans plus a Noctua exhaust fan) so out of 10 add-on fans the only noise i heard was the chipset. and yes, it was the bearings.
    if i didn't have the case up on the table with me i probably wouldn't have heard it, but i do and i did and that's my story.

any case i think the x670 "e" is BS as far as techpowerup goes. the AIB's would've leaked this already as they have issues with social media and their employees (esp. in China).

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Isn't it 15 watts just for the APU?

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That isn't entirely clear to me but it doesn't really change my point either way.

18. Guru3Dmember

Guru3Dmember Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT
    I wonder if AM5 will support DDR4 since it's also supporting PCIe 4.0 I heard it wasn't but this is news to me.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, am5 is ddr5 only.

Maddness likes this.