1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[RUMOR]AMD 8870hd and 8850hd specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by mohiuddin, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    source:
    videocardz.com/34981/amd-radeon-hd-8870-and-hd-8850-specifiation-leaked

2. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    First of all, no offense, but you pasted that so retarded that it's annoying to read, the least you could've done is cleaned it up a bit.

Second, I find the article hard to believe. It says that the 8870 will be as fast as a GTX 680? A 7970 is already competing with the 680 albeit it's a bit slower.
    I doubt the new series would see that small of a jump, even if they are from the same architecture.

If the article is correct, then nvidia is probably going to smash them with the 700 series.

3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    It is an article h quoted from source. I did not think of editing it ,by myself.
    I quoted the part i thought to be informative. Besides, i posted from a java mobile ...but,anyway,
    Sorry if my act was like a retard.
    And i think the specs are quite reasonable except the price as , u see,
    top end single gpu from first generation 45nm fabrication ( 5870hd ) was almost equal to their high_mid range 2nd generation 45nm gpu (6870hd)...
    But of course it is a rumor, take it as a ocean of salt.:p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 1500/1075
    well those about sound as they should be. If true. it's been awhile like this anyhow.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You forget that nVidia is always late and 700 series is not even close...

I would not be surprised if this source is correct and leaves HD 89xx to be fastest again until ofc "700 series".

6. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    "It’s worth saying that HD 8870 and 8850 would not be the fastest Sea Islands GPUs in the pack. The one that we are going to describe should be compared to Pitcairn, which has 2.8 billion transistors."

That's in the first few sentences of the article. The x870 and x850 moniker hasn't been used for their high end cards since the 5000 series. These are to be considered the mid range series comparable in price to the 7870 and 7850. It's not really that small of a jump as you think. The mid range card is going to have the performance of last gens high end card. That's how the trend has been going lately.

The 8870 beating out the 680 would also be quite a blow to Nvidia if they price it correctly and get it out soon enough. At around $300-350 there would be no reason to buy a 680 which is priced at roughly $450-500.

Don't get me wrong. I love Nvidia cards and it's all I've ever bought, but I give AMD their dues.

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Where's the LIKE button?! ^This is *the* most informative and unbiased post I've read about AMD cards I think I've read in probably a year (quite possibly more), and for that, I thank you, Crisis66!

It should be obvious that whomever *owns* the performance crown will only hold it for a short time. AMD and nVidia's architectures might be worlds apart, but as we've seen over the course of many years, AMD holds their own in the graphics department.

It's been standard practice to have the next-gen mid range card almost as powerful as the previous gen high-end card for several generations now. All AMD needs to do, as mentioned, is price it right and they've got yet another win, no matter how you look at it. Doesn't even matter if they hold the performance crown - they're becoming solvent as a company (again) and that's what matters the most to us end-users.

Psychlone

8. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    For what said Videocardz, read2ch was right when they have leaked the Tahiti specs few months before their release. ( this dont mean it is the case today ).

Anyway, SP performance of the HD7970, lower memory bandwith ( 256bits ) but higher clock ( 1100mhz ). This card should be close of the 7970 performance wise.
    HD7870 -> HD7970 = ~ 30-35% performance difference ( depend the resolution and level of MSAA, quality ).

A good jump of 30% for the middle range will be really good. ( without even think to the OC retail version )

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    What? GTX 680 faster than HD 7970? Not anymore, not with the GHZ BIOS and newer drivers. At one time yes...but no not anymore. It's literally neck and neck, and Nvidia only leads by a very tiny margin in TWIMTBP titles, which sometimes isn't even the case aka GW2.

Also you do realize that this is the HD 8870 they are talking about and not the 8970? Totally different ballpark. This is next gen, so the 8870 better be as fast or faster than the GTX 680.

10. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    rofl...lmao

gtx 680 is always faster than 7970...go see benchmarks...and wait...680 is a better oc'er...overclock as much as the fake 7970 ghz and you will lose in every game except buggy metro 2033...680 is the only king...:):banana::stewpid:

11. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^no...
    7970ghz edition is better in crysis2,metro2033 and also in minimum framerates in bf3.

12. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Common, stop the Fanboism fight, The 680 GTX and the 7970 are neck to neck, you must remember that the 680 GTX came much later than the 7970 and both are really very similar, they overclock equaly good, and both win in some titles and loses in others.

Its obvious that Nvidia had time to Adjust their cards to be better than the competition, but thats just the advantage of coming late, AMD did the same with their cards and rereleased the GHZ edition of their cards.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Both card perform pretty good in their own right. But as an avid overclocker and hwbot participant, I have to give my vote to the 680. I have yet to see a 7970 break the 2GHZ mark. YET. :nerd: