Ruined Game Franchises

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Wunderbar_007, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    Does anyone else feel like developers are running your favorite game franchises into the ground?

Unreal Tournament --- Unreal Tournament 3
    Supreme Commander --- Supreme Commander 2
    System Shock 2 --- Bioshock
    Deus Ex --- Deus Ex: Invisible War (potentially DX:HR)

2. twoodster

twoodster Member Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Well Far Cry 2 pretty much killed my interest in the franchise dead.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    tony hawks was ruined past underground

4. Zom51

Zom51 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    yah unreal tournament :( too sad to see its dead, I hope they make unreal tournament 4 and revise all the awesomeness unreal tournament and UT2k4 had ...:biggun:

5. Sampson

Sampson Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 970GTX
    I agree with all except Bioshock, i thought that game was awesome!

Also, Call of Duty 2 --- Everything after!

6. lancerz

lancerz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1GB GTX 460
    COD4 MW used to be awesome...after that one its been down hill ever since.

7. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Guest

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Call of Duty. Such a damn shame.

8. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Fear---Fear 2-3
    Crysis---Crysis 2

Just my opinion.

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Splinter Cell ---- Splinter Cell: Conviction.

10. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Medal of Honor franchise .. the last game tried to copy Call of Duty which isn't a great franchise either.

Dragon Age Origins - -- Dragon Age 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4 and anything afterwards wasn't cool anymore

11. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    "Test Drive Unlimited" and "Need for Speed" games. I used to like these games but Atari ruined TDU2 and EA ruined newer NFS games.

12. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I disagree about DX:IW. It was a good game, just not quite as good as its predecessor.

However, I would add Red Faction 2 to the list of games already mentioned. The original was a very good fps, easily on par with Half-Life, but the sequel was just crap.

13. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT710
    from recent years id say mostly Fear (which really only was one, since its not the same team behind all the other games) DA with the fail that the 2nd one was. Far Cry as well but this another fear type situation.

14. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Very few Sequels are better than their original prequels... its a well known fact, be it films or games!!!

But then you get newer generations that haven't seen/played the originals and play the latter releases first, and swear they are better than the first ones.....

Unless you play/see them both/all you have nothing to compare them too. And depending how far down the line (time) you get into things, then your views will be much different....

Hope that makes sense.....

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This list makes me freaking laugh. I wish people had the ability to enjoy games for the game and not for what the last game was, maybe we could avoid this kind of stuff.

Invisible War was an awesome game, Bioshock was an amazing game. I don't even know your point on Bioshock, and yeah, IW wasn't the same as Deus Ex, who cares? Just play the damn game, enjoy it.

I mean, Bioshock has a ****ing 96 on metacritic and 8 out of 10 score from users. It blows my mind that those kind of ratings can be thought of as "ruining" anything.

Nevermind that Bioshock isn't even a "system shock" franchise. It's just a spiritual successor.

16. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    I had a feeling people would find more :) It really saddens me and I now fear for some remaining favorites like STALKER, Sins of a Solar Empire, Witcher 1/2 and Thief :S

Anyway, I was just sitting here looking at my little PC collection and i realized I'm playing nothing but oldies... and I LOVE IT!!!

I'm actually considering purchasing Homeworld and the followups. I've never played them. Good idea?

Edit: IPLAYNAKED, if Bioshock wasn't a spiritual successor to one of the best games ever created, it wouldn't be on this list. Playing through it, you clearly see SS2's influence but sadly, the developers dumbed every aspect of it down to create Bioshock. Bioshock is a nice game (I did enjoy it) but it in no way comes close to what System Shock 2 was (I still replay it every few months).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  17. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I would say you're wrong unless you're the type of person with deep pockets and buy every games that comes out. I myself restrict myself into buying no more than 5 games a year ... 5 games is like the MAX i would buy, and i base the sequels of games based on the previous one.

For example, I much enjoyed FEAR and i thought FEAR2 would be much like that ... If FEAR2 would've had a different name, i probably would've been more skeptic into buying it ... Same goes for MW, i bought it because COD2 was really really enjoyable for me, which is also the reason why i bought MW2 which then resulted with me NOT buying BO ... and i was right for doing so ...

18. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Rainbow6 and Lockdown / Vegas2 of cause
    GR is another

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well there is no fact in how good or bad a game is.

20. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Tribes (Tribes Vengance)
    Dungeon Siege (DS3)

and IMO

Mass Effect (ME2)