RTX series low fan speed revving noise and turn on/off problem?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dumbie, Oct 31, 2018.

1. uKER

uKER Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    That's not the symptom described here, sir.

2. vvv25

vvv25 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Gigabyte 2060 GV-N2060OC-6GD rev. 2.0 (2 fans) got the same problem with F51 and F52 BIOS. Purchased and refunded some days ago due to loud "kikstarts" to 45% (~1400 rpm) at 50C every 1-5 minutes when the system idle. Minimal stable speed to start is 40%. I wrote small sh script on Linux that always starts fans at 25% (~850 rpm) almost silently without "kikstart". But neither BIOS nor Afterburner can do it. Now i'm trying to choose silent at idle 2060 or 2060 super preferably without fan-stop and exactly not Gigabyte. It would be great if somebody could suggest suitable option.

3. chrisaw

chrisaw New Member

GPU:
    gtx 1660ti
    Just got a gigabyte 1660ti. At low temps fans stopping and starting. Installed AORUS ENGINE and problem solved for me. Fans start up at 50 degrees and stop once temp down to 43.

4. gandalfthewhite08

gandalfthewhite08 New Member

GPU:
    2060 Super 8GB
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019

5. chalky

chalky Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hi i had the same problem used the fan curve was ok for a month then my fans started to go full blast 100% over 4500 rpm when playing games and temps where only 72 c before it started to go crazy and the noise at 4500 rpm is just load as a jet engine
    so i bought the Kraken g12 and a Corsair hydro H55 all in one liquid CPU cooler 120 mm radiator now my temps are 25 c idle and at load never goes above 60 c after hours playing games i did not use the GPU fan header just the motherboard and now i have a quiet and cool PC

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin New Member

Old thread with recent updates, so I'll contribute my findings:
    I have a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC graphics card with F5 firmware (latest as of this post), GeForce 441.41 WHQL driver, and MSI Afterburner 4.6.2.
    After lots of swapping cards, drivers, and firmware, my troubleshooting finally landed on MSI's Afterburner software. I could repeat the problem, and every time that MSI Afterburner was open, regardless of the setting, profile, or fan curve, I would get random high fan spin-up. If I removed MSI Afterburner from the startup and did not open it, I would not get the random high fan spin-up.
    Confirming my results: I would open MSI Afterburner, and the fan would run up high. Closing Afterburner had no affect. With Afterburner closed, I would open Device Manager and disable the graphics card. This would settle the fans to idle. I could then enable the graphics card, and the fans would remain idle. If I opened Afterburner, the fans would run up again.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Are you saying that if you have GPU AUTO controlled fan control set in Afterburner, that when you start Afterburner you still get surge in fan speed?

8. Just sold a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC (GV-N2080GAMING-OC-8GC) did not have this issue; on F8/F13.

• Ownership: 7 months
    • Use: Autodesk (Maya, 3DS) Adobe (CC) Game-streaming (Parsec, Moonlight, Steam-in-home)
    If anything else helps please ask; that card when I first got it was on factory BIOS and would BSOD like hell. I was about to RMA when I decided to check the support site and well the rest is history...I saw all those updates and luckily my issues were resolved.

9. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin New Member

For clarification, we're talking about the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC randomly running the fans at full output when not under any 3d load. If MSI Afterburner is set to auto-controlled fan (user defined software automatic fan control un-checked) then I do not experience the random high fan run up problem. From what I have seen of this problem, either this card or the entire series does not like to hand off fan control to outside software.

10. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin New Member

Follow up: my Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC remained virtually silent after three weeks of daily gaming and graphical stressing. But then today, for reasons unknown, it began spinning the fans up to max output while playing these same games.

It also appears that once the fan is triggered it will spin up to 100%, but regardless of temperature it will not reduce fan speed unless you shut down or disable the graphics adapter in Device Manager.

Additionally, I have tried Gigabyte Aorus Engine 1.7.9, MSI Afterburner 4.62 Beta 4, and EVGA Precision X1 v1.0.2.0, and none of these software tools would manually control the fan speed on my Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC (firmware F5).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020

11. akujiwar

akujiwar New Member

GPU:
    Gb2070sGamingOc etc
    Gigabyte 2070 Super gaming OC 3X 8G: Issue as described by OP.

Fans pulsing on/off. Will not start reliably below 37% which is a bit to noisy for my taste.

Tried installing the gigabyte utility and turned off "semi passive cooling", which immediately put the fans at 33% at idle, making them pulse. However I found that once fans are started properly, they can run well below 33% which is the default minimum using gigabyte utility.

Not even a custom fan profile and temperature hystereses maxed at 15 degrees can make the fan off "feature" work in a satisfactory manner. Temperature gap is just to great as the lightly loaded card tends to creep slightly above 55 degrees with fans off, and below 40 degrees at the same load with fans running at 37%. Leaves me with either 37%+ speed always, or super annoying pulsing fans.

Looked for a new bios but there was nothing to be found. According to gpu-z, current bios is 90.04.76.80.2E

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  12. Boerny

Boerny New Member

GPU:
    r9 380
    Sorry for digging this thread up again but I wanted to get the 2070 super windforce untill i found this problem. I asked alot in a diffrent forum and there most people don't seem to have it even trought gigabyte employees said in their own forum that it was intendet behavior.

Basically what i want to know is, is there a fix yet (beside setting the fans to always run at 35%)?
    And do you know if everyone got the problem?

13. heartog

heartog New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I want to ask the ones who did RMA, did the card you receive back have the same problem or not?

14. regularuser

regularuser New Member

GPU:
    2070 Super 8gb
    After buying the Gigabyte Windforce 2070 Super i discovered the same problem. None of the reviews i read had mentionned it. What do these people do when they review these cards?
    I have found somewhat of an hybrid solution.
    I started using the fan curve method, but 40% was too loud. I could get it as low as 33%, but it was still loud. I then made a fan curve starting à 25% in MSI afterburner, wich, by itselfs, at startup; does not work. Anyways, you boot with this fan curve, you open Afterburner and crank the fans to 50% or more, then appy the fan curve - really quiet. Can't go below 25 % because the revving starts again.
    The fans show a RPM of 772-777 à 25%.
    Now, if someone could write a script for that, it could solve the problem...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Get a refund?

16. ecopsorn

ecopsorn New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S
    Hey guys, I've built my new rig in the beginning of March and had to replace some parts to make it quite.
    Now that all is quite, guess what stands out.... my Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070S Windforce OC (8GB). I have the exact same issue in April 2020 as the OP had...
    It is not an option for me to have it run at 40%, too loud.
    I'm trying to claim warranty now - too bad I didn't notice that the GPU made all this sound, I was sure it is the CPU stock cooler for 6 weeks now until I replaced it.....

My ultimate question though, what card can I buy that doesn't have this issue?? I'd like to stay around in the same price range. As some people mentioned in this thread, in nooooo reviews this issue has been pointed out as a negative, so won't even bother to read further reviews.

17. regularuser

regularuser New Member

GPU:
    2070 Super 8gb
    Well, it's much better now, 870 rpm on idle at 27 degres the fans spin up by themselves at startup and no more revving noise.
    You can't always get a refund easily and shipping it back sometimes costs money plus the cost of buying another more expensive card (it was one of the cheapest 2070 Super) it just makes you regret some décisions... like coming on this forum to try to help.

ukfJM0E2xB.png

18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Yah sadly I've found this to be the trend now with most GPUs turning off the fans completely if your GPU is below 60C. The majority of GPUs have a default fan profile that just keeps them off and instantly ramps up to 40-50% fan speeds at 60C to 65C and then to Max fan speeds at ~90C.

My MSI 2080 Ti is the same where the fans will pulse if I sent the fan speeds below 30% the slowest fan speeds I found that won't show that behavior is 32% which comes to around ~850rpm. Personally I can't really hear the fan noise until the GPU fans get above ~1200rpm so it's not a problem. I think mostly as my power supply fan makes more noise than the GPU. The rest of the system is silent except for the PSU fan! :\

I also got an EVGA 1660Ti which is in a 2nd HTPC system and noticed the same thing with the fans pulsing or just shut off if I go below 40% fan speeds. Same deal with the default fan curve is fan stays off until the card hits ~65C.

19. RevvingRage

RevvingRage New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hi there,

GPU may not be the center of the issue. I have a 1080 Rog Strix A8G, I used it on a Z87 Intel chipset for 2 years without a problem. Asus Rog Strix cards are to known to be mounted with decent and pretty silent cooling solutions.

I updated my set up to a x570 AMD chipset. I'm not an expert but it seems that PCI v4 replaced PCI v3 during that change. Fans started revving, it is a really soft sound, like a breathing, really annoying. Tried to put my graphic card back in my old set up and no revving.

I helped a friend to build his new pc : AMD Ryzen 9 3900x on a x570 chipset and a Gigagbyte Windforce 2070. We noticed that the fan were going on and off. So we got in touch with our local reseller to ask him about the problem. Without being able to provide any source he told us that the issue came from the PCI itself, and that (again I can't verify it) MSI cards were less affected.

No matter what we tried we could not stop the problem on my set up (I hear fan starting not stopping) but, with MSI Afterburner my friend managed to lower the "click" he was hearing each time fans stop.

I tried :
    - driver cleaning + install on a fresh new windows install;
    - custom curves with several softwares;
    - bios custom curves after bios update;
    - using nvflash to install a more recent bios on my GC;
    - changing GC thermal paste as the card was old.

Results are always the same, fans go from 0 to 1000rpm no matter what % is specified, I can make it spin faster, but not slower. I can set my fans to start at 60°C, it gets hotter but no sound can be heard during internet surf.

My solution that isn't one, buying an Accelero Xtrem III, it will replace the original heatsink and fans. I already used one and the result are really good, temps can drop by 10 degres and often more. So no more 55°C, and no more revving.

This process voids your warranty and costs money, but I don't think a real solution will come anytime soon.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @RevvingRage
    And you lost "Zero Fan RPM" functionality with Xtreme III, I am guessing? Which never really worked as intended...