RTX owners

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hyderz, May 22, 2019.

1. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hey to all that upgraded to an RTX card.. 2060/70/80/80ti
    is the purchase worth it? e.g the extra premium price for rays and dlss
    Just thinking whether i want to upgrade my 1070ti.
    Let me know your thoughts on the purchase e.g issues.. not happy because not many titles with rays

2. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I came from a 1080ti to a 2080ti both strix editions.

I must say I did notice quite a jump in performance in certain games. For me it was worth it, have not had any issues. Stirx editions OC quite nicely. Can get my boost up to 2090 with about 56-60c on load which is great for me.

It is not a loud card (for me), but that all depends on your case and room placement etc.

Overall happy with the purchase I made quite a while ago now. As for the actual RTX features, they are nice in the games that support them and more importantly that support them well.

Still a while to go for us to enjoy RTX in BFV with out sutter or other issues, but it has improved a lot mind you.

From a 1070ti to 2080ti you will definitely see a nice increase in performance as long as the the rest of your setup is up to it.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Short answer: What resolution are you playing at? What games do you play?

A little longer answer? Don't bother. Stick with your 1070TI, skip the 20xx cards.
    Ray tracing does have it's nice moments, but at least in my opinion, it's not worth the performance hit.
    I only tried it in BF5 though, where I honestly felt it was lacking. DLSS isn't even available in BF5 for my resolution (2080TI with 1440p screen).
    Things might change if you play all the games with RTX ray tracing, but those are still by far from what one would expect, nine months after the big announcement.

jura11, Netherwind and cryohellinc like this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I came from 1080Ti to 2080Ti and have so far not used RayTracing or DLSS in any game.

Why not RayTracing? For me it adds to little and costs too much (BFV)

Why not DLSS? In the beginning it looked very ugly at my resolution 3440x1440 but I believe they might have fixed that? Still, there is only SotTR that I play that even has DLSS and right now I don't really need the performance boost since I'm playing at my desired frame rate.

So why did I get it? Easy, I needed the 25% performance increase over my previous card.

RayTracing and DLSS may have been the selling points of this generation but there are so few games using the techniques anyway.

jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sell the 1070ti and grab a 2070. It wont break a bank and you'll have a new toy/features to play with.

6. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    For me it was worth it, I got a 165 hz monitor and I run most of my games at 2560x1440... although the good examples of DLSS / Ray tracing are limited, the best example for me so far is Metro Exodus.

Metro's ray traced shadows look great, and with DLSS @ 4K the game looks superb and runs good as well.

If you're at a higher resolution, like high FPS and play a lot of new titles then I'd said it's undeniably a worthwhile purchase.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I came from a 980ti so to me it was worth it. I put one of the EVGA hybrid cooling kits on it and it runs cool and quiet.
    I'm only running 3440x1440 at 120hz right now but there's nothing I can't play at max settings.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I wouldn't bother honestly. 1070 Ti is a great card and ray tracing still has a lot of kinks to work out.

9. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    I went from a 1070ti to a 2080ti. The reason? Raw power.

If you need it yes, it's worth it, in my case I have a taste for MINIMUM framerates in the 60+ range, (or 85+, or 100+ if possible) and a 3440x1440 res, and that's a combination that requires a lot of power in your GPU.

Ray tracing and DLSS? You might never find them, as just a few titles use them. And in my experience both techs go from mediocre to just trash.

So, if you need the power, by all means go for it. But if you are doing it just for RT and DLSS, it's not worth it

sykozis likes this.
  10. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    you have a 1070ti so probably not worth it.
    We aren't going to have that many games that require raw power at least until the nexgen consoles come out.
    as for the reason i purchased mine because i needed the extra power since i upgraded my monitor to 1440p and i wasn't going to buy a 1080ti strix for 100 less than my 2080 strix. It just didn't make sense to me.

11. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    I use my 2080ti for 4K, i have been using all kind of 1080p/1440p monitors for 13 years, from ultrawide to 240hz, i finally got the jump for 4K and i think where the 2080ti shines but without raytracing, i think all rtx cards shine in 4K because of the gddr6 memory and where they are more optimized, after all most games can be set to 4K more easily than having raytracing. if you have a 1070 i recommend upgrading to the 2080 or 2080ti if you have the money.

If you want for 1080p gaming and raytracing i think the 2070 is the best upgrade for you.

12. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
  13. F2000

F2000 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    It's only worth it if you upgrade from the R9 290 / 780 era, my personal rule of thumb of upgrade is that you pay similar for 100% increase in graphical performance
    I own a R9 290 before and now it's suitable for me to get a 100% performance increase with RTX 2070