RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The problem is that some video card vendors refuse to honor the warranty and chalk it down to "user error" of not plugging the cable in properly. In some countries, they will also refuse to honor the warranty if you mess up their stickers (even if the sticker falls down on it's own due to heat buildup), which can happen quickly if you want to repaste or install a waterblock. Once your warranty is refused, all you can do is send the cards to an independent repair shop.
    I wasn't even aware of a 1000W XOC BIOS for the 4090, but yes, if such an XOC BIOS has all the safeties turned off, it could of course be the cause of this as well as the connectors aren't made for it and of course warranty would be void if they find the XOC BIOS on the card.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yup, it's specifically the people who messed up their 4090 themselves sent the cards to the repair guy, that's why it's survivorship bias. Nvidia actually did say to cover any connector burn.

The best GPU of any brand often have higher RMA rate because people like to go to town with these GPUs, I had the XOC BIOS flashed on my old 3090 too :D

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The law concerning warranty stickers are enforced by the consumer laws of a country, the vendor has no say in the matter. Its the same for fixing your own vacuum cleaner, washing machine, fridge and a load of other items.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I watched this video, and no, i didn't hear any numbers like that.

all i heard was that he had 8 cards sent in by Cablemod, with no evidence that those 8 cards hadn't been previously connected wrong to an adapter.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    10:20 - 10:47 he says cablemod is not the bad guy, its the card itself. And that cablemod sent him 8 x 4090 cards to fix but he has 250 cards in for repair. Maybe poor choice of words but he implies that 250 cards have this problem aside from cablemod. I can see him not meaning that, in which case he messed up with his choice of words and for not clarifying.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    If you have a 2000€ graphics card and it breaks down what do you do? Send it for RMA or deal with it through other official manufacturer approved ways? Naaah. You send it to Youtuber influencer, who will nuke your warranty and you may never even see you card again (but at least your GPU will become internet celebrity!). Get with the times, bro, it's 2023. :D

(sarcasm of course)

pegasus1 likes this.
  7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Its all about the clicks

8. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    He never said he got 250 cards with this issue, he just said he has 250 cards for repair. And lookign at the picture he posted, this is quiete old as the mayority of the cards has the DVI conenctor on them, non on the 3000/4000 cards has DVI anymore

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    And this is how bullshit rumours become forums facts

10. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Or maybe you need to do this because you bought a 2000(+) € card from gigabyte and they reject the RMA - just because they can. Northridgefix had such cases and Krisfix Germany also had such cases.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    And this is the kind of circular reporting that once its gone around enough becomes fact, the exploding cores was another that people stated was fact, until the repair shop confirmed it wasnt.

12. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You do not need to believe it. You can easily read about it - the Reports about gigabytes "service" are everywhere.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gigabyte are required by nvidia to accept and repair socket failures, if the card has been rejected its been due to other reasons.

14. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I have different Statements. One from Gigabyte and another one from Nvidia.

The covering of any 12v hpwr issues ist only a Thing for the FE Models. The 3rd Party manufacturers are Not forced to so the Same.

Gigabyte will not give any Support or warranty If you haven't used the original adapter - even If your PSU has a native 12HPWR cable that could be used. That ist what Gigabyte told me on request. I have that answer in my Gigabyte Support Tickets.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They are trying to lower the number of ppl who apply for RMA in any way they can. Regardless if the user has better quality connectors or solutions. Like Asus who recently tried to void warranties if users flash their beta bios to fix a serious problem that could damage their hardware. Just bad companies trying to avoid honoring warranty claims.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gigabyte need to read up on Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

17. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I think @FR4GGL3 is in Germany, not the US. That said, he should at the very least be able to claim the "Gewährleistung" from the dealer he bought the card from (assuming he didn't import it) and get a replacement or his money back that way if Gigabyte doesn't want to play nice.

Another avenue would be to file a claim with the manufacturer of the third party cable, some of them will replace/reimburse the card.

FR4GGL3 likes this.
  18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Gigabytes service is not important, its the story that 4090s are melting in huge numbers. Every RMA that Gigabyte have ever refused suddenly becomes a melting 4090 statistic.
    If it was factual then the guys at
    An important point, different countries have different consumer laws, being a UK citizen i know ours are very much tilted in the direction of the consumer.

19. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, I am from Germany - as you know. And yes, I could try to claim a "Gewährleistungsfall". But that doesn't help the fact that the so called warranty isn't worth anything. It helps with the marketing, but it doesn't mean anything.

And most likely a "Gewährleistungsfall" would also be a hard fight. I've had such cases a few times. Almost none of them went how you would expect it. You most likely need to use the help of a lawyer and go through a lot of written arguments and even more wasted time.

As I have the luck to live not too far away from Krisfix Germany, that would probably my best and fastest solution. Yes, you have to throw even more money at that thing, but it might worth it if you think about all that safed time and arguements. I am glad that there are such skilled people around, that can fix a lot of things.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @FR4GGL3 looks like we have the same card, so what do you think of it?