RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. John Eisberg

John Eisberg Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 4090 OC
    I have a Palit RTX 4090 GameRock graphics card. This video card has 3x8 pin on 12vhpwr and 450w power limit in bios. If I flash the bios from a Palit RTX 4090 GameRock OC with a 500W bios, will my graphics card work after flashing the bios?

Power will be taken from 3x150w + 75w pcie. 525w. Power will be with a margin.

The difference is that the Palit RTX 4090 GameRock OC has a 4x8pin on 12vhpw adapter and a 500w bios. Board Number PG139 SKU 330 identical for both models.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    4000 series doesn't draw power from the pcie slot. No idea if a bios flash would work but imho, there is very little point. There are no significant real-world gains to be had from going past 450W.

Netherwind likes this.
  3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Since the release date for 4090 TUF/Strix waterblocks seem to be delayed a bit, I thought I'd plasti-dip my card's shroud it looks better with the rest of my mostly white PC until I can get the appropriate block which should also cut the size of this thing down significantly:
    [​IMG]

While I was Plasti-Dipping the shroud, I tied three makeshift fans to the card, the cooling was even slightly better than with the stock fans:
    [​IMG]

Next stop: Getting my hands on an ATX 3.0 PSU with cablemod cables and installing a GPU water block. Hopefully I'll be able to find one sooner rather than later. Can't wait to be able to get my tubes in order again. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sounds like a proper workbench and tools and all of that's available to you (plasti-dipping). I envy guys like you, I'd probably have not one normal looking side on the case / and inside maybe neither :D
    Looks nice. I too am waiting to see how waterblocks and 12pin stuff develops. Not running a 4090/Ti later on without putting it under water tbh.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree with @southamptonfc, it will take some serious dedication to get the card to draw more than 400W in most scenarios while gaming as the CPU will bottleneck or if you cap your framerate or if you only play less demanding games. The potential 500W+ usage scenario to me is just benchmarking.

My own testing shows power usage in the range of 250-350W while playing games like Plague Tale, CP2077, RDR2, New World at 3440x1440/180HZ or 4K/120HZ.

6. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I wish. :)

All I used was a spraycan of Plasti-dip (you can find it on amazon.at), some cardboard I placed the shroud on outside and sprayed away, following the instructions on the can. It's actually quite easy (and I'm not very good with paintjobs either), looks great and you can remove the Plasti-Dip without trace if needed. :)
    It also helps that the 4090 TUF is designed in a way where you can easily remove the shroud and fan assemly (which can be separated, too) without unmounting the heatsink and/or backplate (which is why it was easy to just strap an array of three Uni-Fans on it while the shroud was off so I could keep using the card).

Thank you. :)

Yeah. I was originally going to just get the inno3D Frostbite, but it didn't launch right away and the prices are much higher than what I paid for the TUF with the TUF using much better quality components. So I'll wait until the water blocks come out for the TUF instead. The Byksi one should be out in a couple of weeks, the EK one has been delayed, Alphacool hasn't even announced theirs yet and others will take even longer.
    It's too bad that more manufacturers don't make cards with water blocks available on release date.

I've been hitting around 410-420W during gameplay in F1 22 in 4K and higher resolution VR as well as various VR games, for example. I've only been running the card stock so far to test stock stability, though, it should be possible to lower this quite a bit.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I'm planning to get either a Byksi (never had one of those) or Alphacool WB, but I'm kind of not really enticed in buying right now. I'm sad that AMD's stuff is so expensive, and I'm sad that Nvidia's needs so much power, and right now I'm wondering if it's smarter to get a 4090 or wait for the 4090Ti.

Thanks for the tip with the plasti-dip, I didn't know something like that existed. But yes, as I'll probably have a case without a window as my next one (sound dampened hopefully), I kind of want to have a few thoughts and ideas ready by the time I'm buying components.

8. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I have a Bykski block with active backplate on my 3090 Strix since there were no others available at the time and it's been excellent.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah... @jura11 also said they were good and relatively inexpensive... I miss his advice tbh. But he gave me the idea about Bykski. Good to hear you have similar experience with that block. Does the active backplate help lots with temps?

10. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Same.
    On the 3090 it helps a lot with memory temperatures, since it has the memory on the back. On any other card with no memory on the back, it's probably redundant and a good, passive metal backplate should be enough.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022

11. ValSidalv21

ValSidalv21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 TUF OC
    There's a new BIOS for the TUF, flashed it yesterday evening. Looks like they increased the power slider's minimum % for some reason. That's the only thing different I could notice.

12. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Thanks. What's the BIOS version and what is the new minimum? Mine goes all the way down to 2% (which seems wierd) with BIOS version 95.02.18.00.60 the card came with.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Tried undervolting to see if that would help the coil whine and indeed there is a difference, although very slight.

Same here, didn't notice any difference.

95.02.18.80.93 is my current BIOS version. I wonder if the ASUS utility flashed both the Performance and Silent BIOS or just the one in use.

14. ValSidalv21

ValSidalv21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 TUF OC
    On my card the new BIOS is 95.02.18.80.95, flashed the performance one. If it's the same as the 3090, we have to flash both separately. The new minimum on the power slider is now 34%, that's 150W.

Edit: I just unpacked the installer with 7zip and there are actually 8 different BIOS roms inside.

15. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC

That is one awesome looking PC. Man you have skills. Wonderfully cooled, well modded and beautifully lit!

Undying and Cave Waverider like this.

16. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    DLSS is great but sometimes people tend to forget how good a native resolution looks, with proper AA of course.

Witcher29 likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd still very much like to try out new psu's to see if it could potentially fix it... just dont wanna waste alot of money on "old tech", when the atx 3.0 psu's are just around the corner... super bad timing of everything tbh !

18. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I'm actually surprised and impressed by "DLSS 3" frame generation (I didn't expect to use it at all, but gave it a try in various games and it seems to be a keeper). I was expecting it to look bad and/or trigger me as I'm usually very picky about visuals (inlcuding regular DLSS), but I don't even notice any artifacts looking for them during gameplay, it feels and looks smooth, too, and allows me to allow the games I tried with it so far at much higher framerates. Using it in conjunction with native resolution (if the game allows it) or DLAA appears to be the sweet spot for me.

GoldenTiger and Krizby like this.
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Dear lord... native res with dlss 3... sooo bad input lag... lol.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  20. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Just snagged myself this. Don't usually go with Zotac but I love the design this time.
    Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity AMP Extreme AIRO

Dragam1337 and Cave Waverider like this.