RTX 4090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Why is that part important? I thought it was a 4090 issue on PSU in general, not the 4090 brand? But it's MSI Gaming Trio.

Just tested without headphones - did hear something tiny but barely audible, wouldn't hear it from more than a metre away. Probably less now than it was on my old setup!

2. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Absolutely ridiculous aren't they. Makes you wonder if this kit is incredible or the previous generations were actually underpowered...

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Do all brands use the same power delievery system? No ? Then it's pretty facking important which one you got...

But nice for you.

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah, I also tried to get one of 15, the instant the purchase button appeared, I clicked it and it wasn't available anymore. :(

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I'm not following why you're being angry and hostile with me, I have no beef with you Dragam?

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Only way they could get one that fast is bots that instant does everything... -_-

Btw it was 15+... they dont say how many above 15 units they got... could have been 16, could have been 100.

Komplett still has a massive amount of this model in stock at just above msrp though

https://www.komplett.dk/product/121.../grafikkort/gainward-geforce-rtx-4090-phantom

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, if you have been following the thread, several of us have been trying to pinpoint which models have coilwhine, and together with which psu's... which is kinda hard when that info is excluded. Asus models in particular seems to have issues with coilwhine.

8. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I see. That's even more disturbing then. Or maybe they list more cards than they actually have?
    Too bad they only deliver to Denmark, though. :(

Meanwhile over here, Ditech and E-tec who have actually had some overpriced cards in stock for roughly a week have raised their prices on RTX 4090s again (yes, even on in-stock cards which were already overpriced by up to €500, so it doesn't look like their suppliers are scalping) and they are now from €600-900 Euros above their respective MSRP. So yeah. People don't buy their overpriced cards, how to solve it? Raise the prices even more. Gotta love actual stores that are scalping... :(

Solfaur likes this.
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 760
    So you don't have to return the hardware? Good for you man! Always great to see a fellow Guru get his problem solved.

At Proshop I assume? Don't know how it is in DK but ppl in SE are fed up with Proshop since it says that they have a lot of 4090s in stock but they are impossible to order. Proshop writes that at 14:00 every day they open for sales but nobody manages to get one.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  10. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Yeah, but I noticed the same level of coil whine on my old NZXT Hale82 850W which isn't noticeable at all once the fans kick in.

11. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Same problem with Proshop in Norway.

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I haven't, apologies.

I just saw the tail end, talking about the PSU brands which do, hence I left a post saying I'd report back on my results with Corsair. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I tell a lie, I must have scanned a little because I did notice mention on the ROGs doing it. But yeah, MSI, in my case, on Corsair, seems to be trouble free.

13. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
  14. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Good news! Looks like I managed to secure a ASUS RTX 4090 TUF from Proshop (I won't believe it until I actually got shipping confirmation)! :D
    They made that model (listed 2 in stock) available at 15:00 instead of 14:00 of the other cards so I guess all the bots weren't programmed to hit the site at that particular time.

Now to shop for a suitable water block.

Hopefully it won't have coil whine. I'll report back once I have the card.

By the way, perhaps it would be a good idea to start a focused 4090 coil whine thread with some instructions on what info to share so the investigation would be easier?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Big gz :D

But yes, a dedicated 4090 coilwhine thread might not be a bad idea, seeing as quite a few people seem to have it !

Cave Waverider likes this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Ya didn't offend, i was just already semi annoyed.

But from what i can tell, the msi gaming seems to have coilwhine less often than the surprim.

Basically from the anecdotal evidence so far, the coilwhine seems to be worse on the highest performance models.

PS. i got a corsair psu aswell, though an ax1200i.

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, the 4090 strix i got was from proshop... thing is though that they deliever to the entire EU, so you are competing with alot of people + bots for those cards :/

18. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    the melting 4090 12vhpwr is making rounds, would be interesting to see what that's all about and under what exact conditions

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not connecting things properly tends to do that.

Reminder that Buildzoid is not a qualified electrical engineer.

20. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
    Are you saying engineers never frack up?