RTX 4080 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Rumors say Nvidia will be lowering the price mid December to possibly $999 or $1099. Maybe it will attract more buyers.

I had no intentions of getting one of these but an offer came up I couldn't say no to. I had a coworker offer me a solid amount for my 3080ti...I guess they're going for good money again on eBay after dipping down for a while. This made it so the 4080 cost me $167 after tax and discount. I know the 4090 is the better card, but it's impossible to find and would have been roughly $600 after tax. $167 for this seemed like a great deal. I see no one made a thread for this yet, so I figured I'd brave it out and be the one lol.

I was able to mess with it yesterday for a bit. DLSS 3 seems decent enough. I noticed a really big improvement with Plague Tale Requiem. The game is a snooze fest for me, but demanding enough to use gamepass and download as a benchmark. The IQ was solid and the gameplay felt smooth. I was worried it would feel off. Every game I tried DLSS 3 in had a huge improvement in frames and felt fine gameplay wise. I didn't notice any crazy latency. Even in a game like Bright Memory where the gameplay is rather fast paced.

Non DLSS 3 games are nice because I am able to upscale for crisper visuals with playable frames. Gears 5, I run at 4k, but then through the in-game menu I set the resolution adjuster to 150%. Still hitting 80fps this way. This really helps make the visuals pop out more.

The connector was easy enough, snapped in place, used my phone flashlight to make sure it was completely plugged in.

It's a great card. I would wait for the price slash. But then, if it appeals to you, it has to be quick, before it sells out or gets nabbed by scalpers and then you wind up paying current price. Which is why for $167 I said screw it, I'll do this now and not have to worry about an upgrade until possibly the 5 series.

Anyone else out there brave enough to admit they bought one? :p

2. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I bought one as soon as I could find one, No 90's available around here at all.

Works great for me, use it in a SFF system as a replacement for a 3080.

I play Darktide with DLSS 3 with RT on high. Pretty fun.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have to give Darktide a try. I was informed it's a gamepass title, so I need to give that a download and see if I enjoy it. I read so many good things about Warhammer games but haven't tried any.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I like trying out new tech, and in the case of Darktide with DLSS 3 it worked out really well.
    Happy to have a 4000 series GPU atm and looking forward to more DLSS 3 stuff, especially CP2077.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Works insanely well in Bright memory infinite.

TheDigitalJedi and Maddness like this.
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I found a new appreciation for Metro Exodus with DSR @ essentially what would be 6K. I never appreciated the ray tracing or gave the game much of a chance. I was really misjudging the RT effects, they are phenomenal.

HARDRESET, Maddness and pimpernell like this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I can imagine Spiderman runs amazing with a frame generation and i would try it most likely even use it if i can. Right now im barely keeping up the 60fps with raytracing it would be nice to play it at 120fps :D

Maddness and Serotonin like this.
  8. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
  10. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Bought my gigabyte rtx 4080 Eagle on black friday, cheapest we had in here in Norway, 1396€ (1472€ now).
    Except for the price , i love this card. Boosting to 2820 out of the box, curve oc in afterburner to 3020mhz with temperatures under 60c on any load.
    Ray-tracing on in all games and max graphics (some with dlss , most without ) give me my max fps 3440x1440@100hz. Plague tale looks gorgeous.
    BF 2042 crash on ultra, but from what i can read i'm not alone on that.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Maddness, AuerX and southamptonfc like this.

11. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    I had to pay in The Netherlands 1750€. It's a great card it's a big upgrade vore me .
    Your link is not working over here.

AuerX and pimpernell like this.
  12. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Could a moderator merge these?

Hulk12 and AuerX like this.
  13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Looks like it's clocks boosts higher than the 4090, I'd like to see some overclocking and undervolting results please lads :)

If it's like the 4090, you might be able to increase or maintain the default boost clock while using not much more than 250W :cool:

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  14. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    I can't because I'm not the moderator. :(

15. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Messing around with some UV today, 260W passes Port Royal Stress test 100% no frame drops.
    https://www.3dmark.com/prst/214600

[​IMG]

Could do less I'm sure if no RT was used.

Maddness, Krizby and southamptonfc like this.

16. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Maddness and pimpernell like this.
  17. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Do that one test dlss and raytracing? or should i buy port royal? I only got the paid version of the really old test.

18. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    https://benchmarks.ul.com/news/3dmark-speed-way-is-now-available

"3DMark Speed Way’s engine is assembled to demonstrate what the latest DirectX API brings to ray traced gaming, using DirectX Raytracing tier 1.1 for real-time global illumination and real-time raytraced reflections, coupled with new performance optimizations like Mesh Shaders."

pimpernell likes this.
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No offense, but LOL... you paid nearly the same for that 4080 as a cheap 4090, which is 35% ish faster...

20. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Let him enjoy a great card, it's not our fault that nvidia is overcharging. After the embargo lifted on RX7900XTX reviews, i do not regret buying the 4080 even if it's expensive.

MMXMMX likes this.