RTX 3090, why i have this dithering (?) issues?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Solstar, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Solstar

Solstar Guest

GPU:
    3090/32 gb
    Jusdt got the card, upgraded from a 2080, installed latest geforce experience + drivers, in some games many textures look like this in the screenshot, no matter the settings, i maxed out all to ultra and is still present. it wasn't there with my old 2080, why?

I already DDu's the drivers, reinstalled everything from scratch, same issue.

Attached Files:

2. Hey ya

Hey ya Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6gb
    There is nothing wrong with your GPU.
    That's just how the modern AAA game engines / games using deferred shading are "optimized": they literally use 1-bit dithering to fake transparency effects, rather than using smooth 24-bit alpha maps. They then try to "hide" those eye-popping artifacts and jaggies using a thick layer of Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA).
    Seriously, take any big game release from the past 7 years, like Resident Evil 7 and up, and disable all AA. You'll see this same fugly thing everywhere.

3. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    Isn't this also what happens with hair in Horizon Zero Dawn?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    screen door transparency is normal with deffered rendering, nvidia introduced a tech to make away with it in lovelace.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Which tech are you referring to?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Opacity Micro Meshes

Opacity Micro Meshes (OMM) is a new feature introduced with Ada to improve rasterization performance, particularly with objects that have alpha (transparency data). Most low-priority objects in a 3D scene, such as leaves on a tree, are essentially rectangles with textures on the leaves where the transparency (alpha) creates the shape of the leaf. RT cores have a hard time intersecting rays with such objects, because they're not really in the shape that they appear (they're really just rectangles with textures that give you the illusion of shape. Previous-generation RT cores had to have multiple interactions with the rendering stage to figure out the shape of a transparent object, because they couldn't test for alpha by themselves.

This has been solved by using OMMs. Just as DMMs simplify geometry by creating meshes of micro-triangles; OMMs create meshes of rectangular textures that align with parts of the texture that aren't alpha, so the RT core has a better understanding of the geometry of the object, and can correctly calculate ray intersections. This has a significant performance impact on shading performance in non-RT applications, too. Practical applications of OMMs aren't just low-priority objects such as vegetation, but also smoke-sprites and localized fog. Traditionally there was a lot of overdraw for such effects, because they layered multiple textures on top of each other, that all had to be fully processed by the shaders. Now only the non-opaque pixels get executed—OMMs provide a 30 percent speedup with graphics buffer fill-rates, and a 10 percent impact on frame-rates.

JAMVA and Sajittarius like this.
  7. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    OMM sounds amazing, first I am hearing of it.

But doesn't it need the game dev to use the Opacity Micro-Map SDK to add opacity values for it to work? It wouldnt just upgrade older games, right?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, its not going to promote transparency to OMM.

9. Nr3k

Nr3k Guest

GPU:
    RtX3060ti
    I have the same issue, previously I had the RX590, After installing the Adrenalin with MSI Center(MSI Bazooka V2) and trying to scale the image and trying different visual settings, I got the same efect, then I reinstalled the drivers, windows, bios, but nothing changed.
    I thought may be my GPU is getting this problem, so I changed to RTX3060Ti, but the effect is still there.

Before trying visual settings on Adrenalin, and MSI Center, everything was good, and i didnt have this dithering effect.

after installing new GPU, the effect persists, so I used all the type of CleanUpTool of Amd, Nvidia, MSI.. reinstalled Windows 11, reinstalled it to Windows 10, updated the bios. nothing changed. So I contacted to this companies: MSI, Nvidia, AMD.. Msi reply only once with 0 efford to assist, Nvidia is who is trying to help and constantly asking me to try this or that, AMD directly ignored and today a guy from the forum gave me this forum link.

Im not super pro on electronics nither in soft, but I believe if it has nothing to do with gpu, i believe cpu niether participate on this, so probably there is 2 options:

1. some component in the motherboard resettet to wrong setting by the Adrenalin or MSI Center,
    2. Somehow the wrong settings exists somewhere (mb the same way as windows key is saved or something similar)

Also to mention that, I discovered that if I scale the image with NVIDIA and put in NVIDIA option 100%, it shows the same dithering effect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There isn't an issue here in this thread.

11. Nr3k

Nr3k Guest

GPU:
    RtX3060ti
    Do you know how to fix it?
    Could you fix it?

TimmyP likes this.