RTX 3090 has a lot of untapped potential out of the box.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tyrchlis, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    Just playing around a little with clock speed and power setting, MSI Afterburner only allows power setting to 104%, so I bumped it up to there and threw in 100mhz for good measure. I notice that newer, more heavily ray tracing oriented stuff fairs better than traditional rasterization games/benchmarks.

Worst case so far is a barely noticeable and just outside of margin of error 4% bump in performance, but in some of the better cases, I saw upwards of 7% when the benchmark relied heavily on ray tracing as Boundary does. That was the best case scenario, and certainly noticeable.

[​IMG]

pharma and Maddness like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    up to 7% isn't to bad at all. What did upping the power limit and clock speed do to temp levels. Also did you overclock the memory and if so, did that give any performance increase.

Tyrchlis likes this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Not trolling but doesn't every card have untapped potential?
    At least with nvidia you usually always get a decent OC, again not trolling.:D

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Seems on par with reviews like Tech Power Up with the 3090 being closer to a 20% or higher than the 3080 but it's power limited even from some of the third party boards with a higher but still what seem to be a light increase in the power limit maximum allowed or how to call it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3090-gaming-x-trio/38.html

Get that limiter out and it'd be interesting to see what these cards can *really* do, I suppose the lock isn't the easiest to remove though.

EDIT:
    Which I suppose means you have to give it enough power to where it doesn't throttle down or limit performance which unfortunately for whatever reason it seems NVIDIA capped these cards a bit by a too low default limit and a maximum allowed increase but what's doable already shows good gains. :)

I'm no expert on the hardware at all or anywhere close and I presume there are good limits for this but some of the third party models even when it's not something like the Kingpin top-tier customized models could probably scale nicely if there was a way to push the limit a little bit further.

Err 150w from the 8-pin and 75 from the PCI and then 3x so 450 and the 75 so 525 then maximum?

EDIT:
    Not sure how the GPU would spike up in power draw and what the clock speeds could do with the requirements and how this affects boost performance but it seems there's some headroom at least over the NVIDIA 350W target power draw I think it was for the 3090 GPU.

So also some room to scale with a higher limit assuming the peaks power draw and factors like temperature don't stop or hinder the card.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020

5. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    There is something called a shunt mod that I'm unwilling to perform, but supposedly gets around this limitation.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah I've heard about them too, wouldn't want to risk it on a both expensive and for the moment limited in availability hardware as overclocking can be iffy under warranty even when it's just through software.
    Read about it being done for the Radeon VII to allow it to pull a far higher level of power. (From ~300W to 500W) but it sounds risky without knowing how the card will perform and what it tolerates depending on what the components can take.

7. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    You're totally right, plus I feel I would be slapping PNY in the face if I burned up this card after they practically jumped through hoops to get this card to me. I'm pretty satisfied with this card at stock speed as it is. I'm only experimenting a bit with what MSI Afterburner will let me get away with.

8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Shunt mod or higher power limit BIOS its only option if you are already hitting power limit

It happened with Turing as well when I flashed Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix with Matrix 360W BIOS which is one of the bezt BIOS for Strix

In your case you can try Strix BIOS which supposedly should be having highest power limit, but Strix is 3*8pin and not sure if it works as supposedly should

Shunt mod is quite easy to do if you have soldering skill and solder, I have only once done shunt mod on my friend GTX1080Ti which is still running and no issues, on my GPUs I never done that

Shunt mod is safe if you know which shunts needs to be shunt just expect it will power draw will go through the roof or will it be much higher than stock

Higher power limit I would flash if I'm running cards under water, on air you are limited by temperature as with every generation of GPUs due this not sure if you will gain as much as we do

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Valken, JonasBeckman and Tyrchlis like this.
  9. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Yeah sure. There is it's worth. It can be up to 50% faster than any other gpu and reach 600w. Anything else? This gpu is a troll itself along with its user.

Every hardware has locked potential from factory defaults. You cannot save this gpu by telling these.

toyota likes this.
  10. Second the shunt mod - think @chispy did one and posted it

Valken and JonasBeckman like this.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I have cleaned up the thread. I will move to cleaning users if this continues. This goes for @Tyrchlis and @toyota.
    We are a friendly bunch on these forums, dont ruin that!

Tyrchlis likes this.
  12. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    I would much rather continue in that vein, thank you.

13. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    I guess you could call this card the first true 4k gpu which is impressive no doubt, gonna be a hot minute before i can afford the horsepower for 4k, i can only imagine how some games would look.
    @Tyrchlis what res are you using?
    Cheers for your time.:)

Tyrchlis likes this.
  14. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    I'm currently stuck on a 165hz 1440p QHD screen, but that's left over from the 1080 Ti I had before. The monitor I intend to pair up with the 3090 very soon-ish is the AOC AGON AG493UCX which is 5120x1440@120hz D-QHD. Not quite 4K, but a nicely wider view. Kinda tired of 16:9, ready to try something new and really really wide. Several games I play would look really good with the FOV you could set on that kind of screen, and then just max everything setting wise out and forget about it.

DannyD likes this.
  15. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    I admit up front that I'm getting into areas I'm super unfamiliar with where CPU bottlenecking creeps into even higher resolutions than I'm used to with RTX 3090. I'm unsure even D-QHD is going to really be good enough to push past the CPU bottleneck or not.

Just thinking about the benchmarks about CPU limitation on 3080 and 3090, 1080p is just no go territory unless you intend to feed 360hz to Gsync, and even then it's silliness, kinda (in my eyes, at least). 1440p still shows a pretty noticeable, but not debilitating amount of CPU bottlenecking, though higher refresh again helps offset it somewhat. That is where I am right now.

Looking at logical paths to a monitor upgrade, 4K is really the optimal route for using this card without thinking much about the CPU's involvement if it's at least a solid CPU. Even a slightly overclocked i7 7700K holds up well from what I've seen in reviews looking at CPU performance. So that leaves me wondering if D-QHD "3K" even at 120hz just isn't going to really feel right.

I am 100% open to monitor suggestions, really. Yeah, I'm bored with 16:9, but if it's the only way to really let this GPU start strutting it's stuff properly, I'm game.

Edit: I'm also strapped between choices right now. While my wife purchased this 3090 for a birthday present for me, my own funds for next parts choices are limited to either upgrading the core system underneath the 3090 from the i7 7700K to a Ryzen 9 5900X + X570 + PCIe 4 M.2 for around the same amount of outlay as a monitor. The core system upgrade would be massive help in game modding using various tools including Blender. The monitor upgrade, on the other hand, would make more use of the 3090 in gaming.

Cannot do both though. It's monitor upgrade OR core system upgrade, so I'm still on the fence about which is more important, though leaning towards the monitor itself eliminating more immediate issues than the CPU + PCIe boost would net. GAH, so hard to choooose!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    DannyD likes this.

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Personally I would go with motherboard and CPU upgrade, but depending what you do or use your PC

7700k is not bad CPU in some games you can be limited by it but not as much

5900X or older 3900X can be great upgrade for you, I upgraded from 5960x to 3900X and I love it

For monitor upgrade AOC monitors are great, I have AOC Q27G2U and Acer Predator X34p both are great monitors

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Tyrchlis likes this.
  17. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    My apologies for missing your post and not directly responding!

That overclock proved unstable in the long run and I backed down to stock. By unstable, I never ran into any issues, but when tested using Nvidia's auto-overclocker, it detected a lower safe clock than what I had set. I just disabled overclocking at all for the time being.