RTX 3080 Custom Fan Profile Issue

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by lvmarv, Oct 5, 2020.

1. lvmarv

lvmarv New Member

GPU:
    PNY RTx3080
    I have used Afterburner for many years with numerous GPUs with very good results. My issue is that I have just upgraded to and received my RTX 3080, and have just gone to set my custom fan profile, as I always have done.

My issue is that I am trying to have a more aggressive fan curve, which I cannot get to work.

ie I am trying to have the GPU fans at 50% to start with and then be more aggressive than the default fan curve, which starts at 30% and goes up from there. Any change that I make to the fan curve is not being applied by the card at all. Is it my card that is the issue? Issues with the new beta version of the software?

The GPU that I have is the PNY RTX3080 XLR8 Gaming.

I don't believe I have done/setup anything differently than previous times.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

3. lvmarv

lvmarv New Member

GPU:
    PNY RTx3080
    Ok, so excuse me if I am wrong with this but....

The way I read that is that 0% is now the dotted line on the GPU fan graph, so 30%? So to get 50% fan speed, I need to be setting the fan curve to start at the middle of between 30% and 100%? Is this correct?

4. Unwinder

NVIDIA's minimum reported 30% can be ANY fan speed in reality if VGA vendor decide to alter minimum PWM in VGA BIOS. I have no proper solution working for everyone for this mess created by fan speed scale scale normalization introduced by NV in this GPU generation. Still working with NV on proper way to solve it.

5. lvmarv

lvmarv New Member

GPU:
    PNY RTx3080
    Thank you for your replies. Its just a weird way of doing things, huh? At least I now know there is nothing wrong with my card! Hopefully a fix comes at some stage so the whole thing makes a bit more sense!

6. Unwinder

The only fix I have in mind is totally disabling NVIDIA's normalized fan speed reporting as soon as you set manual fan speed. So you'll see PWM % you set and expect to see instead of some mapping to 30%-100% range, which depends on VGA BIOS and cannot be denormalized back at the moment.

Ashkaan and lvmarv like this.
  7. Ashkaan

Ashkaan New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Could it make sense to make a quick little guide to work with it the way it is in case it takes a bit to come up with a solution?