Rtx 3080 core clock 0 mhz...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ZebMacahan, Jan 23, 2021.

1. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS rog strix 3080
    Hi,

I have a brand new ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC White Edition, and I have noticed that in idle the gpu core clock sometimes goes down from 210 mhz to 0 mhz to 210 mz, and so on. Is this normal behavior?
    It does so only when idle at desktop. I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor the gpu. All settings are stock. No problems in games or applications. No freezes or crashes. Using latest hotfix from nvidia 461.33.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    this can't be 0 and not crash,must be wrong reading.

3. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS rog strix 3080
    3080_0mhz.PNG

This screenshot shows the behavior. Notice where it dips straight from 210 mhz to 0 mhz. This happens only when desktop is showing. When I open the afterburner hardware monitor it will stay at 210 mhz, but will go back to jumping between 210 and 0 mhz as soon as I close the hardware monitor down again. Not sure if this could be a problem with how afterburner reads it or if it could be a windows 10 / nvidia driver bug/problem. As stated, the gpu works flawlessy without any crashes. I have never seen this behavior with any gpu before, and it would be nice if someone here knew what was going on.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is the behavior of optimal/normal power management where the chip goes fully to sleep when nothing is actively being drawn.

Maddness likes this.

5. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS rog strix 3080
    Ok, good to know that it is normal behavior then. Thanks for your help:)

6. grinbo

grinbo New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 3080 Ti
    I have the same issue with my 3080 Ti MSI GAMING X TRIO. I have also 1060 6G from Asus without this "feature". For me it is strange behavior. I own the card few month, but I noticed it only now. I haven't found any information about this "power management feature" in web, exlude this thread.
    Do you have any problem with graphic card at this moment?

7. Korea92pl

Korea92pl New Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Strix
    I have noticed the same kind of strange behaviour of my RTX Rog Strix 3080. When using MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision 1, during regular desktop idle core clock blinks from 0 - @210mhz, and voltage changes from 0 - @0. 736mV accordingly. However there are no crashes/black screens all seems to work fine. As soon as any game launches GPU boosts to my undervolted profile settings and it sits there at around 1935 mhz at @0.868 mV. Works fine as well. Not many threads across the internet but I see there are people that are encountering this behaviour and personally I would like to find out what is causing this.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  8. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS rog strix 3080
    My card has been working without any problems so far, but this "strange" behaviour still persists. I guess it is some sort of power management feature, although I have never seen such behaviour with my old graphics cards ( 1080 ti, 2080 ti).

9. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    It's impossible for the GPU to be at 0mhz while it's working. 0mhz == GPU stopped.

Sounds like a software issue somewhere causing a false reading. Do you have "Enable low-level hardware access interface" checked?

I don't know what "user mode" vs "kernel mode" does functionally but wouldn't recommend letting any software run in kernel mode unless you have to.

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    never seen 0mhz

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you'll only see it in tools that refresh within less than a second.

12. grinbo

grinbo New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 3080 Ti
    I don't see this "feature" on my 1060 6G Strix. I've install the 1060 instead 3080Ti for testing and no 0MHz. Minimum 136 MHz. If your card has this "feature" you can see it using for example HwInfo or GPU-Z sensors minimum values.

13. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Completely normal. Happens on my 3090 FE also. The card puts part of its circuitry "to sleep" to save power, so the monitoring chips report 0 mhz or 0 volts.
    This is the same as when you use C-states on a CPU and monitoring tools report 0 volts, because part of the chip goes into a low power or sleep state and it can no longer read accurately.

Korea92pl likes this.