Rtx 3080 core clock 0 mhz...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ZebMacahan, Jan 23, 2021.

1. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3080
    Hi,

I have a brand new ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC White Edition, and I have noticed that in idle the gpu core clock sometimes goes down from 210 mhz to 0 mhz to 210 mz, and so on. Is this normal behavior?
    It does so only when idle at desktop. I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor the gpu. All settings are stock. No problems in games or applications. No freezes or crashes. Using latest hotfix from nvidia 461.33.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    this can't be 0 and not crash,must be wrong reading.

3. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3080
    3080_0mhz.PNG

This screenshot shows the behavior. Notice where it dips straight from 210 mhz to 0 mhz. This happens only when desktop is showing. When I open the afterburner hardware monitor it will stay at 210 mhz, but will go back to jumping between 210 and 0 mhz as soon as I close the hardware monitor down again. Not sure if this could be a problem with how afterburner reads it or if it could be a windows 10 / nvidia driver bug/problem. As stated, the gpu works flawlessy without any crashes. I have never seen this behavior with any gpu before, and it would be nice if someone here knew what was going on.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is the behavior of optimal/normal power management where the chip goes fully to sleep when nothing is actively being drawn.

Maddness likes this.

5. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3080
    Ok, good to know that it is normal behavior then. Thanks for your help:)