RTX 3080 and GTX 1060 frametime spikes

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Shadowchild, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Hi evevryone, first sorry for my bad english I'm french :) . I have a really big problem of frametime spikes (that leads to stuttering). I have this problem with my brand new RTX 3080 and my old GTX 1060.

Here is my setup:

Aorus b550 pro ac
    Ryzen 7 3700x
    RTX 3080/GTX 1060
    Corsair rm 750x PSU
    Gskill trident z neo 3600mhz CL18
    Sabrent 4.0 nvme

What I have done :

-Reinstalled Windows Multiple Times (Even on New SSD) Reinstalled GPU drivers (Used DDU for clean install without Geforce Experience)
    -Updated Bios/ MOBO Drivers (Audio/LAN/Chipset)
    -XMP On/Off - No difference
    -Disabled All In-Game Overlays
    -SWAPPED EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT IN MY PC (GPU, CPU, MOBO)
    -Closed all unessessary background processes
    -Turned on High Performance Power Plan in Windows
    -Messed with every combination of Enabling/Disabling Gsync and Vsync - stutter still occurs in any configuration
    -Tried capping fps at lower values (144, 120, 60) - stutter still occurs
    -Plugged PC into different wall outlet in case this is somehow a power issue. Had no effect.
    -Disabled HPET
    -Disabled C States
    -Tested on Other - no difference
    -Used different Display port - no diff
    -Play games in Offline mode - no effect
    -Ran Memtest86 - no errors found
    -Turned game settings all low - no effect

Notes :

-My Temps are under 70
    -Cpu usage is not the bottleneck
    -Disabling fullscreen optimization for each game lower the frametime spikes but the problem is always there

Here you can see the frametime :

Example 1 : https://imgur.com/qp8JLIO

Example 2 : https://imgur.com/C0NlAPl

2. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    I'm going to say it's software running in the background. Use something like Game Booster (free download) and hit the "BOOST" button before running the games where the spikes happen. If that doesn't fix it then uninstall Game Booster (or not, it's a pretty cool tool for gaming) and maybe back-up you shiz and do a fresh install of Windows. That's the "nuclear option" but when you pay for a top tier GPU then it's really not out of the question to do so... That's my 2 cents.

3. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Impossible I've done a clean install of windows with nothing on the disk and the problem continue to occure. Same with another build

4. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Well that's strange... Maybe your memory is faulty... Try lowering the Memory speed in your BIOS. I would assume that if it isn't software or your Windows install then it has to be hardware related. And considering it also happened with your previous GPU then I doubt highly it's the GPU. I looked over your previous post and the only thing you didn't "swap out" was your RAM. How many modules are you running (2 or 4)? If 4 then try running with just 2. OR play around with the timings or frequency. That's my 3 cents. lol...

Edit: I know this is probably a silly question but are you running your GPU in the 16x slot on your motherboard? Just putting it out there. I know that slotting the GPU in a full x4 slot can cause issues but honestly it would most likely be more then just the spikes that you are seeing... 4 cents.

Edit 2: The reason I mentioned lowering the memory speed is that I once purchased RAM that was supposed to be able to run at x speed ( I can't remember what the speed was as it was over 5 years ago...) but I was having issues not unlike yours and when I tried lowering the RAM speed everything was fine (minus the fact that the damn RAM wasn't able to run at the listed spec!). Anyway I hope your able to figure it out! It must have sucked to get the shiny new 3080 just to have the same issues as your previous card! I feel your pain brother!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020

5. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Oh! I just noticed that you're only running a SSD... Maybe that could be the culprit. Do you have a HDD to install a few games on just to make certain it's not the SSD? Just a thought...

6. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    First of all, on a fresh install, do not do any "modding" of drivers or whatever, just use amd chipset drivers, stock nvidia drivers and nothing else. Feel free to disable recording on shadowplay and the windows Xbox capture thing as well. No trashy Gigabyte software or overlay inducing/injector software or anything else. (disable steam overlay too)
    Load Defaults on your mobo, enable xmp if it works out of the box like that and ensure once you boot into windows via ryzen master that you are indeed in coupled mode.
    Does the issue still occur?
    If yes, Go to graphics settings and change to Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling to On or Off.
    If that doesn't work try windows game mode on/off.
    If that doesn't work try disabling pagefile see if that changes anything. If it does start looking at your nvme, try a benchmark see if the numbers correspond to those seen in reviews of your drive. (also check if it's got updated firmware.
    I assume you're using it on the CPU slot, is it actually running pcie 4.0? On my master x570 i need to have pci-e 4.0 specifically enabled for my 4.0 drives to work @4.0, otherwise it defaults to 3.0 (might be due to the GPU).
    You could also try going through the Chipset slot (tho since youre on b550 youre limited to 3.0 there).
    Also I hope this isn't just one game, for if it is, i don't think you can necessarily blame your system and all i wrote was for naught..

7. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB

Tested everything you said with several disks, gpu into another system and so more. Problem always there

8. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Several disks tested :/

9. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    several kits of ram tested, several pcie slots too, xmp and no xmp

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Need to try a different PSU then, seems to be the one thing you havent changed, especially since you say youve tried a different mobo as well.

Maddness likes this.

11. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Already done, nothing changes

12. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Dunno then, you're saying that essentially any one of those 2 GPU's on a system with a different PSU/SSD/Mobo/Ram (and CPU too?) are still giving you the same issue. By process of elimination - we've eliminated everything, you have essentially 2 different systems there both with the same problem on all games i assume. Maybe you could try a UPS, or just a family/friend's house see if somehow it's power from your place that is the cause.

mitzi76 likes this.
  13. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    My girlfriend doesn't live with me so it's done :/

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    log the cards input W/V with gpu-z/hwinfo and see if any of them are unusually low.

15. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Yikes... I'm out of ideas... After reading the other posts I can't say I have anything more to add to help with your dilemma. I'll pop in to see how you made out though... If I can think of something new I'll let you know. Good luck my man! You're in good hands on these forums!

16. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Honestly this sounds like a software problem. I had something very similar years ago, getting frametime spikes. Took me hours to narrow it down, and the culprit? Windows Task Manager. It was open in the background, and every time it 'polled' the system, I got a spike. I had it open for other basic measurements while testing something else, and once I closed it, the spikes disappeared. That was some years ago, and things may be different with Windows and Task Manager today, but I have to ask -- what software are you using to measure the frametimes?

Just to be clear if you do this, does it occur? --

1) Clean install of Windows. Don't install anything else, not even GPU drivers -- just use whatever Windows installs.
    2) Install your game and play it

Are there stutters? Even at low-res, low-detail so you know it's not CPU/GPU ceiling?

17. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    OH! I thought of something! Have you tried turning off

18. DanEVO7

DanEVO7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Duke 2080 Ti
    I solved the same problem on a 2080Ti by changing the PSU from single lane to multiple. The PSU is an HX1200

19. Shadowchild

Shadowchild Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Thanks for all your comments. The problem is still there after all testings :/

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Have you checked if your GPU is running in Line-Based (IRQ line) or Message Based Interrupt (MSI) mode for the device interrupt??? This thread linked below, helped me a ton and resolved the DPC latency spikes I was getting previously using LatencyMon.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ge-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/

I had a lot of stuttering with my 2080Ti initially and found my GPU & network card were in IRQ line mode. Both were using the same IRQ line too for some stupid reason. Switched both to MSI mode using the tool listed in that thread and the problems disappeared!!

Be aware you will likely have to run the tool anytime you reinstall video drivers as Nvidia likes to default to IRQ line mode even though it supports MSI mode.