RTX 3070 low FPS & Utilization

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mmbrajohan, Sep 27, 2022.

1. mmbrajohan

mmbrajohan New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8GB
    Hi all.
    My setup first:
    AMD 2700x
    1x16GB RAM 266MHz
    A320M-K Mobo
    700W PSU
    RTX 3070 GPU
    I recently purchased a 3070 (upgraded from 980, then 2070S tester).

I've been having so many issues with this card, where I had none with the 980 and 2070s.

When playing games, my FPS is way too low. I mainly play Battlefield, but I've seen it with Borderlands, GTA V and F1 2021 as well... Other games do the same.

Please see the pics below. I used BFV as the benchmark, but I mainly play BF 2042, and the FPS is just horrible! Averages between 20 and 70 on 1080p, 4k and any graphics settings. The fps doesn't change no matter the resolution or graphics settings (well maybe with like 5-10%, but is neglectable)... So weird...

I have tried different drivers, from the oldest one BF accepts, to now the latest one. I also used DDU to do the installations properly...

Updated BIOS, VBIOS, enabled resize BAR, played around with HPET, tried different combo's in NVidia Control Panel, Max Performance, etc...

I also tried 32GB ram, and it did not make a big difference. (2x16GB 2666)

I have researched the 2700X RTX 3060 combo, and it shouldn't bottleneck it.

Anybody know why my GPU utilization might be this low? And it's only this low when I start playing on foot...

Attached Files:

2. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    It is though, from the CPU benchmarks I've seen a 2700X bottlenecks a 2080 Ti by quite a bit especially in BF5. I've also personally tested an i7 8700K with an RTX 3080 and single stick of RAM, the experience was the same as yours.

If you happen to build another computer go with faster RAM with a low CAS latency & timings, make sure to get them in a pair of 2 sticks and run them in dual channel mode.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 3070
    That 2700x is ur bottleneck mate, u wouldn t believe how much my i7 6700k was bottlenecking my rtx 2060, i gained around 60 fps when i got the 10700

4. Jobert

Jobert Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    you just pulled that number out of your rear end. while a 6700k would certainly hold back a modern mid range or better gpu it would be no where near 60 fps unless it was some game where you were already getting 300 fps in. my 9900k has essentially the same IPC as the 6700k and I can disable 4 cores/8 threads and it makes very little difference even with a 3080 ti in hardly any games. and of course with a much slower 2060 it would be even less of a difference unless you are running 720p. of course there could be the rare exception but 60 fps sounds like a ridiculous claim. if you want to argue about it then name the exact games and I will put up the results.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Ram is one of the good ones, he's not trying to deceive, he's just trying to help is all.
    You have a good one Jobert.:)

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 3070
    Forget it, not getting into those stuff....

7. Jobert

Jobert Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 ti
    Yes because you have zero proof and you know it. ;)

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 3070
    B**e m*

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's no need for insults, infraction added to your account.

And to op, the CPU should be fine, but it's borderline. The first recommendation I'd make is to perform a clean Windows install.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    Clean install windows.

Update everything to its latest version.

Then try an all core overclock on the 2700X. I know I got mine to around 4.2/4.3GHz I think at around 1.35/1.4v.

Also try and raise your game settings, mainly resolution. Try using Nvidia DRS or any in game resolution scaling to increase beyond 100%. This should help move you more towards a GPU bottleneck whilst also increasing the IQ of your game.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Old PSU was causing mine to drop in performance. Running around street level in Spiderman I was hitting fps in the teens.

Never suspected anything was wrong until this, because there were no problems anywhere else (havent played many new games). Changed to a new PSU and its smooth 60 on the street now.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    CPU is impaired by the IF rate running stock due to the memory in use getting in the way of cross CCD processing.

needs faster memory, IF overclocking, or a cpu where all 8 cores are on one complex.

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Even with 3200 CL14 and 1600 IF, Zen 1/+ are just bad for gaming.
    <40fps in Spiderman with RT disabled (!) :

Ok, not with most recent patches. But 115€ Ryzen 5500 can pull pretty much twice the fps with decent RAM, with raytracing enabled...