RTX 3060 Ti or Denon AVR-S960h?: 10-bit color issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mda400, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    Just curious if anyone has seen this image corruption before, but this does not happen if i have the RTX 3060 Ti connected directly to my LG CX 48 OLED by HDMI (2.1).

It seems to happens when I am outputting 10-bit RGB (full contrast levels) to the Denon AVR-s960h receiver, then repeated to the LG CX 48 OLED. It doesn't happen with 8-bit color, and haven't tried with YCbCr, or a lower refresh rate than 120/119.88hz, but will contact either nvidia or denon (likely denon first) as i want to make sure this setup can work with 10-bit color since the panel can display it for anything that can take advantage of it and i use this setup for computer use at 120hz.

I am using 2 of these cables from the graphics card, to AVR, then out to TV. Monoprice 8K Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 6ft - 48Gbps Black
    I also tried with other HDMI cables and it still produces the issue, but again only when connected through the AVR's '8k' input/output.

I have the AVR's HDMI 4k/8k signal format set to '8k' enhanced (which is required to pass the full 40gbps video bandwidth the AVR supports).
    This also happens whether or not HDMI ARC/eARC, CEC control, and VRR are enabled in the TV / AVR / NVCP as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  3. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz

I understand what you are referring to.

Luckily, Sound United (Denon's parent company) put out a youtube video and statement saying that there isn't actually a universal issue and it was supposedly specific to connection types.
    And i can confirm it does work without issue, but only with 8-bit color.

I'll see what Denon has me do once they reply to my email i sent them.

Configuring An NVIDIA RTX 30 Series Graphics Card With A Denon/Marantz Receiver for 4K@120fps Gaming

Denon & Marantz Announce HDMI 2.1 Receivers 4k/120Hz Works Without Issue!

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just because a company puts out a video doesn't mean there isn't a problem

5. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    A potential solution (temporarily, or permanently if you don't get one from Denon) is to use two HDMI outs from the GPU -- 1 goes directly to the LG, the other directly to the Denon.

Then, in Windows, clone your display. Set the Denon display to something small like 800x600, and drag its position to be for example top right with only its lower left corner touching the upper right corner of your main display -- this will stop your mouse accidentally disappearing into the Denon's display area when navigating around the edge. In fact once you've done this, you'll never know it's there.

I've been running my system like this for... oh... five odd years :) I always do HDMI out to a receiver (in my case, a Yamaha one) and HDMI/DP to a monitor. I have a 5.1 system connected and I don't like a) compressed audio through SPDIF or b) analog connections from PC to receiver. In this setup it's uncompressed digital all along the pipeline.

Passthrough is, logically, the better solution if all components support the standards you want (HDR, VRR etc) but failing that, the above works reliably.

Mda400 likes this.
  6. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    I hear you, i did this when my old receiver couldn't pass-through video to my old display.

eARC makes this unnecessary, but again this issue only happens (intermittently too, will flicker quick then stay normal, then corrupted image. Back & forth) when i select 10-bit color RGB at 4k/120hz (~40 Gbps).
    It doesn't happen using 8-bit color (~32 Gbps) and that is how i am using it currently from PC > AVR > Display.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  7. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    Probably one they may not know about or is isolated to my possibly faulty unit, i don't see similar issues from others when researching the issue.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You don't see similar issues? Did you not see the links I posted? Hdmi 2.1 receiver issues are pretty well known at this point.

9. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    I did see the links you posted, but you may not have read my response or have misunderstood my first post.

I understand what you were referring to, but i do not have the black screen issue which all of your links point to.

This is debunked/clarified by at least denon/marantz.
    In this link you posted, it has an update confirming this - https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

" Update 12/9/20: It turns out Denon & Marantz HDMI 2.1 AV receivers supports 4k/120Hz without issues."

I too can confirm 4k@120hz works through my AVR-s960h, just not reliably with 10-bit RGB color as seen in the pictures i posted.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  10. Duobleray

Duobleray New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Any update on this issue? I just purchased mine and noticed the issue once I switched to 10 bit. 10bit when connected directly to the TV works just fine. I searched online for help, however, I haven't seen the issue mentioned elsewhere.

Attached Files:

11. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    Not yet. Denon said they are investigating the issue and will give an update in the future.

"Thank you for contacting Denon Support, we value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

Please be informed that we are now investigating and working about this issue and we are going to release a much detailed information about this soon.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting Denon Customer Support. Have a great day!

Regards,

Jhunie
    Customer Support Representative
    Denon
    Sound United North America "

I'll ask for an update to see if they say anything further.

Edit:

"Response By Email (Customer Care Team) (01/17/2021 08:09 PM)

We would like to get it resolved too as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we haven't receive any update when would it be possible get a fix. But no worries, rest assured that we are really working on this.

Regards,

Jhunie
    Customer Support Representative
    Denon
    Sound United North America"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  12. Duobleray

Duobleray New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thank for getting back to me. Denon never replied to my email so I just returned the receiver I appreciate the help.