RTX 3000 series HDMI 2.1 connection no BIOS/UEFI image

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PrMinisterGR, May 17, 2021.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Hello everyone, my specs are the following:

5950x
    32GB DDR4 3200 CL 14
    Inno3D iChill x4 RTX 3090
    Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master (bios F33i, pure UEFI mode no CSM)

Windows 10 20H2 (19042.985)
    Nvidia 466.27 (clean install)
    Arch Linux (linux-tkg-zen2 with Nvidia 465.27-1 and boot via systemd-boot)

Main Monitor (Display Port): DELL U2718Q
    Secondary Monitor: LG OLED C9

Cable: https://www.zeskit.com/maya21 (HDMI 2.1 actually certified, 5m)

With my old GTX 1070, I would always see the BIOS/Boot screens on the TV, whenever I would turn on the computer with the monitor turned off. Since I upgraded, I cannot get a pre-OS-driver screen for the life of me. This includes both Linux and Windows, with the exact same behavior.

Even if I physically disconnect the DisplayPort cable from the GPU, and leave only the HDMI on, I will only get picture on the TV from the computer when Windows or KDE reach their logon screens (after the NVIDIA driver loads).

Regarding Windows I don't have anything "extra", or "weird" installed. I don't have RTSS or OBS or anything beyond Steam and GeForce Experience installed. Game mode is ON, Fast Startup is disabled.

I am literally on defaults on Linux.

I tried to disable fast startup completely from my motherboard, but it made absolute zero difference. I also have submitted this as an issue to NVIDIA using the feedback form and never heard back. Anyone has a suggestion?

EDIT: I just submitted it again.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    DanielRX likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    turn off DP Deep sleep in the Dell OSD, your new stuff is preferencing the DP display over the HDMI TV but the DP display is not waking up in time for POST.

3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If they are both connected and turned on, the Dell always shows the UEFI/OS loading.

The problem is that even when the only connector on the GPU is the HDMI, I never get to see anything before an OS has loaded the Nvidia driver.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I just figured out that the HDMI of the card will only put out pre-OS display if CSM is enabled.

Which means this is 99.999999999% a bios problem with the VGA. Nvidia responded to me in my initial request, but I haven't heard back from them.