Rtx 2080 Ti Aorus Wateforce - display driver crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jmmy23, Jul 14, 2019.

1. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Hello. I have an quesion. Is my card faulty?
    So. I have Windows 10 1903. Card plugged was Rtx 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme with fan versions. Drivers 430.86. But yesterday i unplugged that card without uninstalling drivers.

And then i plug new card Rtx 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Waterforce. And on first boot with new card( on Windows login screen ) i had display driver crash. Since that it not happened.

I tested all benchmarks and no crashes. Should i exchange card or stay with it?

PC :
    9900K stock
    2x16 GB DDR4 3000mhz
    Corsair 850RmX
    Asus Prime Z390-A

2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Use DDU to uninstall your video card drivers in safe mode, then reinstall the latest GeForce drivers. That should do the trick. It might not be needed in all situations, but most of the times a clean driver install is the safest option when switching cards.

After that, stress the card with long game sessions with maximum details and resolution (just play) and see if it's stable .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Because both cards bios are different so at times you may have just showing under device manager: display adapter.

If it were the same stinkin' card = no problem, but another card in general = use ddu under safe mode, I usually do the ddu method under safe mode twice.

Once all done, reinstall the graphic drivers, should be all set to go.

4. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    I clicked shutdown by menu button in Windows 10 left down corner. Event log said about go to SLEEP mode.
    Then Windows 10 go to sleep/shutdown. And after that i unplugged gpu and plugged new gpu.
    With new GPU i boot to Windows 10 first time and, after moment i saw display driver crash in event log.
    Next i restart pc by menu button in left down corner ,and on second boot Windows 10 detect low res and was installing again itself driver without driver crash.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is absolutely no reason to uninstall drivers when going from a 2080ti to a 2080ti, the only thing that could be a problem is utility software that have on-start applied settings configured by you the user.

No, not even a difference in bios makes a difference, you can literally update the vbios and then use hibernate to load the new vbios without having to quit any open tasks.

6. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Yeah but i dont have any other utility software configured,only AFTERBURNER thats all. So why it crashed driver in first time boot with new gpu?

7. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    yeah have in AB voltage UNLOCKED setting and AB was running too during first boot with new card. Maybe thats why it crashed display on first time.
    Also both cards have different bios.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    most likely was