1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTX 2070 thread ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pharma, Oct 15, 2018.

1. vMax1965

vMax1965 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Just picked up the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Aorus 8GB and I am impressed. The card boosts out of the box to 1970MHz and runs very, very quiet. Temps in gaming hover around the mid 60's mark...Gigabyte have released a new BIOS for the card that increases the power limit but I am a bit wary about updating the BIOS...worried I will brick it as I have never updated a GPU BIOS....

signex and AsiJu like this.
  2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR
    My MSI 2070 Armor sits at around 53c when i set fan speed to 60%.
    Have it OC'd to 180+ on the core and 400+ on the memory stable, 200+ caused games to crash/freeze.

I can hold almost 60fps in Witcher 3 at 4K with shadows and foliage distance set to high instead of ultra.

AsiJu likes this.
  3. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    +180 or +200 means nothing for the GPU. What are your actual boost values.
    Just tested my kid's 2070 with Zotac BIOS limits are better and fan control also.
    Managed to finish Superposition with 2040 to 2025 GPU during the run and 16180 on the memory all these with sub 60* on the stock Gainward GS cooling with 70-80% fans with custom curve.
    [​IMG]

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR
    2070mhz, it starts at 2150 as temps rise it sticks to 2070mhz at 57c at 60% fan speed.

I never use a custom curve as i never hear the fans.

This is with running AC Odyssey at 4K maxed settings for an hour.

5. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Sounds awesome, can you share a benchmark result for comparison TimeSpy or Superposition. Sound much better and not power limited than what have ever seen from these cards...

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Nice! I'm running max boost (sustained) of 2040 MHz via OC Scanner. +700 on memory.

Thought of setting a fixed fan speed too. Card remains at or under 65 C but keeping fans on all the time could drop that a bit further maybe.

Can't hear the fans when they spin up and AB tachometer shows around 1300 rpm highest, don't remember what speed % was.

Really like MSI Armor so far.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    signex likes this.
  7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR
    Am a bit concerned of reading that 2070's are dying too. I really hope the MSI Armor isn't affected. I couldn't find anything through google yet though.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 AC 1150/1500
    dunno about 2070

according to caseking and der8auer:

0.17% RMA for 2080, out of "very close to 4 figure" sold

1.4% RMA for 2080 Ti, sample-size of "a bit less quantity" than the 2080

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-rtx-2080ti-thread.422587/page-71#post-5603869

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 9:13 PM
    BangTail likes this.
  9. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    They don't sell Founders Edition cards, which makes up the majority of the ones which are failing.

signex likes this.
  10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    From what I can tell, most of it is FUD, spread by agenda driven youtubers and people who don't like the price.

Without numbers or solid proof, I would take any stories of 'mass failure' with some measure of salt.

I want to reiterate, I am not saying there aren't problems, I'm just very dubious of how widespread they are.

11. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Yeah, almost. None of those downgrades are worth it for graphics vs 4K to me. 2080tis are the only thing that can run Witcher 3 properly in 4K.

12. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 G-X
    I went ahead and bit the bullet, and ordered the EVGA 2070 XC Gaming. Arriving today. Coming from a MSI 1070.

Update: Got it in, and installed. Man...performance stomps my old 1070. Wildlands...can crank everything up to ultra now. So far, so good.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 1:59 AM
    AsiJu, pharma and BangTail like this.
  13. fluxxr

fluxxr New Member

GPU:
    750ti
    Are you and others here using the msi armor or the armor OC. I am new to gpus ( and technical computer talk )so I am guessing it never worth it to buy an OC version?

Also how do you know if CPU is bottlenecking your GPU? What is the minimum sort of CPU to run a 2070 without bottlenecking?

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Regular non OC. No point in paying a premium when you can oc yourself.

They're essentially the exact same card, OC just has slightly higher nominal boost out of the box.

For CPU limit it depends on the game a lot. I believe any Intel i7 (Haswell or newer) or AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU will be enough.

You seem to have i5 if your specs are correct.
    You could run into a bottleneck in CPU intensive games but most of the time a modern i5 should suffice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    erouz likes this.
  15. fluxxr

fluxxr New Member

GPU:
    750ti
    I have an i5 6600 non k version. Is this a fine card to pair with a 2070?

I just went looking at the stats of this chip: How does one activate the turbo on this chip?
    • 4 Cores & 4 Threads
    • 3.3 GHz Clock Speed
    • 3.9 GHz Maximum Turbo Frequency

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    It should be active by default unless you've disabled it in BIOS but I assume you haven't.

It should be fine for majority of games and not limit the 2070 too much.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR
    I just sold my i7 4770 set, i came from a Ryzen 1600. I got this i7 set for free but it did increase performance in most games over the Ryzen.

I'm about to get an i5 8600K, i'm just losing so so much performance in BFV with this CPU.
    In most titles the GPU won't reach 90+ usage as the CPU is maxing out most of the time and people say when CPU cores reach 90+ usage you get a bottleneck.

I just can't wait for AMD to come out with the new Zen CPU's so i'll just get this instead and should be enough to last me a few years.

18. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    I don't know, doesn't feel like FUD. My brand new Gigabyte 2070 (Windforce 8G, not even one of the OC models) packed it in after LESS than 24hrs. No overclock, bone stock. Worked awesome until, out of the blue, artifacts everywhere on the desktop, black screens, etc. Disappointing in the extreme.
    I loved the performance, I doubled the performance of my trusty 980. Ran everything at 1440p, nothing less than 60FPS (my refresh rate), graphics options at the highest on everything. This is bone stock, no tweaking, overclocking, nothing. Now it's dead. Brand new and dead. We'll see how the shop handles it on Monday, way less than the 14 day return window. I'm walking out of there with either a new replacement or my money back. No in between. No "wait for our techs to confirm, then come back" BS. Visa is pretty good about charge backs.
    I'm just one guy. How many others out there don't say anything, just RMA without making a big deal? For everyone making complaints, there's probably at least 2 that just quietly RMA/return without posting it all over the net. I'm usually one of those guys. Don't just throw out these complaints as BS. Granted, there's probably some of AMDs guerilla marketing team stoking the fires, but there is some truth there as well. This is a fkd up release and Nvidia knows it.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    This actually is incorrect. NVidia is binning the 2070, there is a "400" and "400A" version of the die. When overclocking, the 400A version clocks higher still. It's not massive, but from what I've seen a 400 non-A gets around 1920-1980 on the core while a 400A gets around 2025-2070. That, and combined with the fact that all the 400A versions typically come with a much better cooler, it's a strange situation where an extra $50 could actually be very much worth it.

20. fluxxr

fluxxr New Member

GPU:
    750ti
    What does binning the 2070 mean?