Rtss Vblank status alternating 144hz/143hz on desktop

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by fluidz, Nov 5, 2020.

1. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    [​IMG]

The value keeps switching between 143/144 in RTSS Vblank Status, I don't have any games/tasks running that would utilize vrr. Monitor - Acer xb271hu, refresh rate set to 144hz (Windows 10 reports it as 143.98hz). Gsync fullscreen mode enabled.

The same happens if I set the monitor to 120hz, it fluctuates been 119hz and 120hz,

I assume this is normal?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    refresh rates aren't static ints

fluidz likes this.
  3. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Your refresh rate is not an integer -- Look at your decimal refresh rate at www.testufo.com/refreshrate

It's just trunctating your floating point refresh rate to an integer. Sometime there's a rounding error or trunctation. 144.001Hz rounds down to 144Hz, and 143.996Hz rounds down to 143Hz. Personally I prefer rounding to nearest, rather than rounding down, since that's less confusing to users when the floating point refresh rate is calculated a tiny smidge incorrectly.

Your fluctuation is usually in the order of 0.001, not 1Hz; it's just that most of the time your refresh rate is displayed is a round number. But if you benchmark it, you'll see your refresh rate is usually actually a decimal one.

fluidz likes this.
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Nothing in the real world measured precisely enough will turn out to be exactly an integer. That is if you're using normal units like SI (kg,m,s), and not something like Planck's units.

5. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Can somebody please explain this to me.

Gsync fullscreen on - At 60hz, rtss vblank status shows the refresh rate dropping to 59hz roughly every 7 seconds. If I open Destiny 2, fullscreen/windowed mode, the in game framerate drops to 59fps every 7 seconds, the cursor/movement in game stutters every 7 seconds.

Gsync off - At 60hz, rtss blank status shows vrr disabled (as expected), Destiny 2's in game framerate stays at a constant 60fps and does not drop to 59fps, there is no stuttering.

I formatted windows and tested again, different Nvidia drivers, same thing happens, I have recorded a video of this behaviour if anyone wants to see it. I'm sure theres a sync issue between my monitor and the gpu when Gsync is enabled..

Can somebody please download rtss vblank status and tell me if you see the exact same thing, At 60hz, Gsync on, does the refresh rate drop from 60hz to 59hz every 7 seconds. I would be very grateful. Download rtss vblank status here - https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=11931346#post11931346

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021