RTSS stops working in Metro Exodus DX11 when alt+tabbing

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by RealNC, Mar 17, 2021.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Found an issue in Metro Exodus (Steam) when running in DX11 mode. When alt+tabbing out of the game and then back in, RTSS does not work anymore. Neither the OSD shows up, nor does the FPS limiter have any effect.

The same happens when quitting the game and then starting it again. RTSS stops working.

Removing MetroExodus.exe.cfg from ProfileTemplates fixes this. That profile sets HookDXGISwapChainRelease=0, but I don't know if removing that is safe or not in the DX11 renderer.

(I'm running the game in DX11 mode since that seems to gain me a few FPS more on my 980 Ti.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :D Don't alt tab.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Good find, HookDXGISwapChainRelease is fundamentally incompatible with recently added swapchain latching (controlled by RestrictMultipleSwapChains). With IDXGISwapChain::Release hooking disabled, it won' be possible to detect swapchain destruction event and release latched swapchain on display mode change. RestrictMultipleSwapChains=0 must be also added to profiles setting HookDXGISwapChainRelease to 0.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Thanks! Adding:
    Code:
    [RendererDirect3D11]
    RestrictMultipleSwapChains  = 0

Fixes the issue.

Unwinder likes this.