RTSS Overlay Editor Megathread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Haldi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Talk this way in some different place. There will be no more warnings.

2. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Yes but that looks like FPSmonitor in the video.

sagaopc likes this.
  3. sagaopc

sagaopc Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 and RX 560
    WOW!!! I dunno you can do it with FPSMonitor!!! great!!!

I create one close of it on RTSS:
    [​IMG]

4. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    That is awesome you can do that in 20 seconds,although default scenes have this built in on FPS monitor.

sagaopc likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    upload_2023-1-27_22-11-54.png
    Nice and simple with standalone RTSS beta :)

Attached Files:

6. Unwinder

??? You asked exactly the same question it a few times, and I replied a few times personally to you. <APP> and <API> tags show both abbreviated and full 3D API.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I'm really sorry -- somehow I missed that original reply. I was in the middle of editing that out of my comment when you posted this since I saw that reply. I couldn't figure how to do it before RIP. Tracking back I do see my original comment got a reply so that's my bad. Apologies

8. Unwinder

No worries.

BlindBison likes this.
  9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is there any way of adding process specific storage reads/writes by using built-in counters (so without AIDA/HWINFO)?
    WinPerfCounters allow to monitor global reads/writes but only for specified storage. So you actually need to add a separate counter for each drive you're using, and then it still won't be process specific.

10. Unwinder

"IO Read Operations/sec" and "IO Write Operations/sec" inside "Process" node are the closest windows performance counters for this task. They are process specific but combine network and disk IO activity.

dr_rus likes this.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They can only be setup for a specific process though (or for all active processes)? So no way of using them for the process into which RTSS is injected right now?

Also - what's the difference between "Process" and "Process V2"?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  12. Kourinn

Kourinn New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Nice one! I have been using the horizontal layout myself, but it was a bit too cluttered. I like how minimalist your overlay is while keeping most of the most useful stuff.

Here's the overlay I'm using now after copying some of the aspects from yours. It's way less cluttered than my old overlay.

[​IMG]

Left-to-right is CPU Temp, CPU Usage Max, CPU Usage, GPU Temp, GPU Usage, VRAM Usage, RAM Usage, FPS, and Date/Time.

Font is Size 10 Bold Comic Sans.

microbar-3.ovl

lionhad and realghostvids like this.
  13. Kourinn

Kourinn New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I figured out how to do outlines for Multi Core Usage.

Given the following Multi Core Usage label:
    Code:
    <G=CPU1 usage,5,-1,1,0,100,28><G=CPU2 usage><G=CPU3 usage><G=CPU4 usage><G=CPU5 usage><G=CPU6 usage><G=CPU7 usage><G=CPU8 usage><G=CPU9 usage><G=CPU10 usage><G=CPU11 usage><G=CPU12 usage>
    • Duplicated the Data Sources for each CPU usage, appending "shadow" to the duplicate name.
    • Apply correction formula to each "shadow" Data Source to make it 2px taller (for 1px outline).
      • Set correction formula to x * (height - 2 * margin) / height + 200 / height
      • i.e. if font/graph height is 20px with 1px graph margin, use correction formula "x * 18.0 / 20.0 + 200.0 / 20.0"
    • Then duplicate the Multi Core Usage label, instead using "shadow" Data Sources, removing the graph margin, and setting text color to black.
      • Code:
        <G=CPU1 usage shadow,5,-1,0,0,100,28><G=CPU2 usage shadow><G=CPU3 usage shadow><G=CPU4 usage shadow><G=CPU5 usage shadow><G=CPU6 usage shadow><G=CPU7 usage shadow><G=CPU8 usage shadow><G=CPU9 usage shadow><G=CPU10 usage shadow><G=CPU11 usage shadow><G=CPU12 usage shadow>
    • Finally move it layered below the original graph.
    This is the result:[​IMG]

As a side note, I made a few more changes to my overlay, in case anyone wants to try it or to look into my methods. I was able to get it working as both a top bar or a bottom bar with full borders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Font is Size 11 Bold "Segoe UI"
    microbar-4.ovl + circle-gauge.png

Also circle-gauge.svg if you want to resize or transfer my circle gauge to your own spritesheet

Putzo and blurp33 like this.
  14. Kourinn

Kourinn New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    This is probably my final update for a while, sorry for the triple post.

Now that I had all the hardware info with pretty animations, I was finding it a little too distracting. Really the only things I care about are framerate and current time, and I'll only look at hardware stats when I notice framerate drops. So I reconfigured my overlay to have separate bars for framerate+time and hardware stats. I kept framerate+time front and center with sticky positioning and configured hardware stats off in a corner using RTSS profile.

I also felt the outlined edges were a bit too harsh transitioning between game and overlay, so I added some horizontal gradients using a static image and custom text color instead.

Here's the final result, I think it looks great:
    [​IMG]

microbar-6.ovl & microbar.png

Putzo, StrikerFX, lifexstyle and 2 others like this.
  15. yen1co

yen1co Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 FE
    wow
    it looks amazing!
    Impressive amount of work done, gonna be my main overlay when not benchmarking by CapFrameX.

I actually came here to ask question about removing space between label name and unit by means of RTSS and not manual hypertext. But I see that you also use custom hypertext, e.g.: <S=60>%<S> :(

16. Kourinn

Kourinn New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I completely forgot about benchmarking. Might not matter to you if you prefer a different program/overlay for benchmarking, but since I had free space, I added a couple benchmarking stats to my overlay, when in benchmarking mode.

[​IMG]

I also changed text outlining, but this requires some config editing outside overlay editor. With the semi-transparent background, I felt the text outline was a bit too harsh overlaying bright content, but disabling the outline was too much and hurt legibility. To reduce the text outline opacity to 60%, I added this line to my "C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles\Global" text file in the "[Font]" section:
    Code:
    OutlineFactor=153
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  17. Grassini

Grassini Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB
    .. there was no question :) already found the solution

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  18. Alex MrBison

Alex MrBison New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1650 Su
    upload_2023-3-7_15-11-36.jpeg

I made some changes, it's still not what I wanted but it turned out good, the border colors change according to the game's fps, I did it based on games with a maximum fps of 60 FPS

each window with a final color of 60 fps to have the rainbow effect.
    still needs adjustments if anyone wants to do it here is the OVL file > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LoXDVX35mlpy_m2oyfvmRHi3bpr7tdug/view?usp=share_link

Gavalaria, gran172, Unwinder and 3 others like this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I recent started playing with got the sample overley modifed to my likely but I trying to fiqure out how to get the over lay to show read/write speeds of the 2 and 3 hdd more specifily the 3rd hdd 4gb that has optane enabled on it.

I can seem to find the option to have it show other hdd speeds

I dug around some more and found out how to get to show for my game drive. read/ write speeds

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  20. karnizero

karnizero Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 4090
    Hi, I have plenty of information in my RTSS OSD and I've been looking for a way to add this:
    * HDR status (on/off is okay, or even HDR type being used if possible)
    * G-sync/Freesync indicator (using fixed rate or VRR)
    * bits per pixel (bpp) (8, 10, etc.)
    Do you know how to get any of these???
    Thanks